Mechanical aptitude test time

And how do you plan on checking David.

I will play your game.
88% no idea were I failed it doesnt tell you or does it.
I would say the block and tackles as it was a stab in the dark afair.
Then it turfed me out for being thick.

Last edited:
450 90%

Cool test and yes it will tell you you need to clivk onthe icon in the upper left for review answers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
94% here as well.. Darned block and tackle pulleys got me..

Whether or not you'll believe me, I got 100%.

There were three questions I wasn't sure about:

1) One of the electrical ones - the series - parallel one
2) Another electrical one - the first close the switch and how many lights come on
3) The one about air entering the cylinder only because of semantics. I stuck with the engineer's answer which is atmospheric pressure pushing the air in, but the answer above it (being pulled in by suction due to the piston moving down) is arguable also correct because atmospheric pressure wouldn't be able to push air in unless the pressure inside the cylinder drops. This happens, of course, due to the piston moving down and creating a "vacuum" (in gage pressure). I visualize things a lot and in this case it all depends upon which side of atmospheric pressure (above or below) your mind views this scenario from. The other possibility of creating the pressure difference to push air in is to increase the pressure on the outside of the cylinder. This is not what happens in this case, so one can think of it as "sucking" if one pleases.

Can you tell I'm at lunch right now???

Back to work....

92%, but too dumb to work out how to check where I went wrong! & too scared to do it all again in case I get a lower score! :)

Tell you what though, after pulling some trees down with a 20t digger/Block & Tackle/wire rope this past winter I have a heightened appreciation for the risks associated with using that stuff in the WRONG manner !

Jac Mac

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
89 / 430 points
Blew a couple that when I went back to I said "Doh", like the fans, and reciprocating to rotary, and those darn block and tackles will get me every time.
However, I believe questions 48 is incorrect (vacuum draws in the fuel mixture, not atmospheric pressure)

FYI... you can view your results by clicking the magnifying glass.

Rob

I could be wrong
I think? the veiw is ATMO is the bench mark.
The piston is generating a negative pressure.
The outside air rushes in to equalize it back to ATMO.

Other than a few members I think we need to go back to block and tackle school.
What got me was I would have thought the wheel sizes would play a part in calcs but there are no diamensions?.

Jim

92%

I much prefer this sort of mental exercise to ones like Soduku (spelling?)

The wording of some of the questions was unclear e.g. when direction of rotation is asked it will depend from which side it is being observed.

Tom

89 / 430 points
Blew a couple that when I went back to I said "Doh", like the fans, and reciprocating to rotary, and those darn block and tackles will get me every time.
However, I believe questions 48 is incorrect (vacuum draws in the fuel mixture, not atmospheric pressure)

FYI... you can view your results by clicking the magnifying glass.

Rob, The piston is not really creating a vacuum or lower pressure ( It could only do that if both valves were shut ). As the intake valve is open the whole time the piston is moving down all that is being created is a space for the atmospheric pressure to flow into.

Tom , I believe that I might have answered that rotation one with Crown & Bevel ( Ring & Pinion) incorrectly also as I assumed that I was to look at the rotation of the pinion from the end viewed ,whereas in the automotive diff pinion sense we would assume that we would view from the yoke end of the pinion.
Jac Mac

Last edited:
Back