Art?...for me its just stupidity

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In California there are some cities that impound vehicles that have been used in Street Racing and force the owners to watch their pride and joy crushed like this...
It's a pity but from what I hear, it's driving the message home...

What impressed me about this crushing was how long it took the forward ram to actually cause a breach of the passenger compartment. The rear of the car crushed easily compared to the front..

It´s my understanding that the artist (or whatever you´d like to call him for that matter) crushes a prototype given to him by the Porsche factory.
It´s a common practice for car manufacturers to crush all road-going prototypes and work horses after they´ve served their duty. For reasons of product liability and insurance reasons that is.
So instead of crushing the car on their own Porsche had obviously decided to give this particular car away to the guy to do the same thing for arts sake.

and why not make an auction for that beauty and use the money for something useful?.
A 997 is anyway a 150.000 dollar car.....:(
It is possible there is nothing possible to do as buy a minibus for handicap?

IMHO Its a too big waste see this.

Very good idea.
Point is just that these prototypes are usually road registered only unter special permission by authorities since they carry a lot of unapproved pre-production parts.
So in order to not being held liable for reasons of product failure these cars get scrapped before there is a chance of them getting into private hands.
That said, Porsche in particular spends a lot of money for charity and social purposes, they just don´t shout it from the rooftops.

Best,

Marcus

Even the most mundane econobox will have prototypes built that cost way more than Porsche, they're driven, tested, fatigued, crashed and then cut up into little tiny pieces so the competition won't be able to get they're hands on anything that they could learn something from.

For every Porsche than Porsche crushes I expect Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston etc do too or at least the third party Engineering firm they've hired to gather the data does.

Still sad to see though.

It´s a common practice for car manufacturers to crush all road-going prototypes and work horses after they´ve served their duty. For reasons of product liability and insurance reasons that is.

Marcus,
You'd be right on that. I tried to buy a special Mk2 Mondeo that had a 30V6 Supercharged engine in it but was not allowed. It was awesome to drive though, it hit 50 in first very quickly! The powertrain guys managed to keep it on the books for ages for 'development needs'.... drifting development.

Brett

Hey that caliper looked to be in good condition - maybe he'll sell it for a good price? :lol:

He should have put a crash test dummy in there too.:eek:

Back