Communications from car to car?

I am interested to find out how a person can communicate from one car to another (or maybe multiple cars) besides a cell phone or CB radio?

I know their are radios available, but does anyone sell a set-up that can be used while driving on the street (head set), and then using the same set-up for open track (with a helmet)?

If anyone out there has a unit that works for them, I would appreciate some feedback on information and prices and where to get the unit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well,
it is possible that you are comunicating one way to the FBI car which is following you.
Another system used from your indians is the smoke signal system. Use it if you have a sliding roof and you smoke cigars.
In the night, with a lamp, the MORSE system wont be too bad.
Finally, a perroquet flying from a car to the other could do the job as well. I would use the pigeon comunication system just in case the distance from a car to the other is over the mile.
Take care
NetFox Connecting Car Drivers

Hi Gary,

I use an Autocom system on my bike for communication and it works great. You could use it in the car with crash helmets, or with earplugs and a throat mike if you don't want to wear a lid, eg road use.

The system comes in various versions, including person to passenger, to other bike/car, can auto answer cellphone and you can pipe music in for long journeys (although the motor should sound good enough!).

For car to car, pit, bike etc etc, it can be hooked up to PMRs, personal mobile radios that work on a 433Mhz band or similar over here. Gives a range of about 3km (if line of sight is clear) or less in built up areas etc. Still works well though although I guess you'd have to use suitable legal/approved systems over there to not upset officialdom...

Malc has posted elsewhere re setting up pit radios and the earphones he used, very good apparently.

Good luck, it certainly adds another dimension to having fun in the cars. (or more recently in my case, 'on the bike'....:D)

Rob and Paul,

Thanks for the input, good info.

My intension was to use this type of communication tool when a club event is having a long cruise. The front, middle, and back cars would be able to communicate with each other, to alert any trouble that might come up. Also at open track events where you want to communicate from car to pit support.

Gives me a start to look at units that will work for me.

Keith

Well,
it is possible that you are comunicating one way to the FBI car which is following you.
Another system used from your indians is the smoke signal system. Use it if you have a sliding roof and you smoke cigars.
In the night, with a lamp, the MORSE system wont be too bad.
Finally, a perroquet flying from a car to the other could do the job as well. I would use the pigeon comunication system just in case the distance from a car to the other is over the mile.
Take care
NetFox Connecting Car Drivers

:lol::lol::lol:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
FRS Radio systems - you can buy headsets for them. Radios are cheap, relatively powerful and popular. Only problem is that you get a lot of other chatter from other people using them. It's more of a modern day CB Radio than anything.

When caravanning to/from the races, we use the radios from the race-cars and crew belts. UHF and very little extraneious chatter - they are not cheap though...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Gary,
I have a system which is a two place intercom and either place can use
the attached cell phone (gsm/handi) which is the Nokia 6310i. The intercom system can use either practise headset or helmet and can be expanded to incorporate
a two way radio with PTT (push to transmit) and volume. The radio could, for example, be the Motorola 340. It's basically a system for a rally car.
The system I have came from Demon Tweaks here in the UK. I'm quite sure Racing Radios in the USA could do something similar.
Dave M

Malcolm

Supporter
Like Paul mentioned above, I too have the Autocom system which is also available in the States. Most likley at half the price too! It allows MP3 players and cell phones to be plugged in adn can be made to fit headsets as used by pit crew. It also allows for motorola radios to be fitted if you don't want to run cell phones between cars. Two input/outputs so can be used just for passenger and driver dsicussions but clever enough so that it can prioritise speech over MP3 music and can make it so that a cell phone call only goes to the drivers headset! Gives privacy. It has noise cancellation system built in on its VOX capability and you can get a set (I think Paul has this) so that it noise cancels background noise to reduce general cabin noise although this only works if wearing a crash helmet. I have my set up so that I can use ear monitors instead of speakers inside a crash helmet which work a treat.

The only real weak link in all systems I have tried is the radios. Whenever we have done static tests everything works fabulously. When you have 50 race cars on the grid the radios struggle to transmit and receive. We use 4 watt motorolas (approx £300 each) which require a licence in the UK but don't in the States as far as I am aware. We also have a base station with 8 m mast to boost coverage. I think the interference generated by engines really doesn't help. I remember little suppression things on the side of alternators in days gone past but don't remember seeing them more recently.

I have also used Autotel systems in the UK and Speedcom systems in the States. Always the radio that is the weak link! For general road and track day use with passengers, I think the Autocom system the most versatile and best value for money in UK. Autotel is good stuff but not value for money and I don't rate their service at all.

Digital radios are now out there but start I beleive at about £700 each. They should be crystal clear or nothing at all.

I have used simple 0.5 watt radios (£60 the pair kind of radios!) and have been able to speak to the car behind at traffic lights just on PTT use which just about works whereas whilst skiing the same radios work over 3 km!

Sheild the radios, use external car ariels, suppress the engine interference and....good luck.

David and Malcolm,

Thanks for the input. Really good information.

I am very close to selling my Cobra, which will allow me to buy a few other toys (ie: GT40) that I have wanted for years and years. I want to do alot of highway driving with my new toys and be able to talk between cars. So this information will allow me to focus in on good working units, and not waste money in the learning experience.

Thanks for all your information!!!!

Back