reflections on motorsport....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A guy I knew back in the wunnerful sixties when he visited the UK as part of the US Masters Drag Race Team for the first ever event at Poddington wrote the following:

The evolution of stuff like this goes as follows: There is in the beginning a mechanical contrivance, which evolves from a practical, useful machine, intended to make mankind's work easier. A certain kind of tinkerer can't leave his car, boat, tractor etc. like it is. He has to improve it a little bit. Then somebody sees his work and has to do better. The ensuing spiral generates a vortex of rivalries that escalates all the participants to the point of formal competition or racing...
People like this can never leave well enough alone and eventually someone gets hurt in the process of proving that he is smarter and more daring than the next guy. Word of this gets around, and people want to watch this competition to be on hand when the next accident happens.
Now we need a place for official contests to take place and a promoter to advertise the events and collect the admission fees. So the contestants need to organize themselves to establish rules and standards for the competition, because the promoter ain't the teensiest bit interested in conserving the participants. He wants more gate revenue.
So of course, the smartest and boldest competitors get to be the loudest and most respected when it becomes time to set these rules in stone. By purely natural processes, the rules just happen to fit these guys like a glove, and soon they are winning a majority of the marbles every time.
This gets the attention of the promoters, who are out there beating the bushes for Yankee dollars under and over the table to benefit any sponsor they can find, with publicity.
Of course any money that trickles down the food chain will stop at the feet of the top guys in each class of competition who will consequently become unbeatable and a vicious loop will come into being that will cause any competitor with even half a brain to fade out of competition before he becomes bankrupt trying to keep up with the big boys.
Now we have less guys getting more money and the spiral escalates way beyond the point of sportsmanship and the reason for the sport (fun) is completely lost to everyone concerned.
What? You don't agree? Well, just think about what you saw at the last race you were at. No matter where you were, the pits were full of huge semi trucks with lavish trailers and race vehicles that were mobile billboards for everyone who would give anything to the owners, or even more obscene yet, maybe the giving was done to the promoters or the sanctioning group. The participants had all modified the looks of their creations to please those with the big bucks to throw around in the name of a tax write-off. Artificial environments and garish costumes have denoted the red light district everywhere in the world that I have ever seen. Phoniness and how-can-I-impress-you-now pervade the atmosphere so bad it chokes you.
Anybody connected to motorsports today because he loves engines and wants to see how his mechanical skills stack up is invisible in such a perverted atmosphere of people who have sold out everything for the almighty buck, which is therefore the lifeblood of the community that has completely lost its reason for being.
Ingenuity and originality are completely discounted to the point of being shunned and seen as a threat to the peace and progress of the establishment.
WHAT? Joe Schmerd has made an innovation that lets him win?
  • It doesn't cost anything?
  • Nobody in California manufactured it?
  • No contingency prize money?
  • Well to heck with him.
  • He's disqualified.
  • Who does he think he is, anyway?
Thousands of years ago somebody got famous for saying that the love of money is the root of all evil, and he looks smarter and smarter as time goes by. Since I think I'm so smart, you'll suppose I claim to have some remedy for this situation. It so happens I do, and next month I might tell you what it is. This ain't what I think; it's what I know.
EJ Potter

I can relate to Mr Schmerds predicament, then they made me a Tech officer for a couple of seasons, before I went back to being 'Mr Schmerd'.:)

Jac Mac

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
MichiganMadman.jpg

Yep, thats him, there was an article on how he made the desision to 'get off' after the throttle jammed wide open at the end of a 1/4 in an old 'Popular Mechanics'.
Cool Dude!

Jac Mac

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jon Elson's Machining Page

A short history of E. J. Potter

(or: So you thought Evel Kneivel was a wild and crazy guy!)

I don't know where E. J. Potter came from, the first time I became aware of him was when he was racing/showing off his exotic motorcycle. He took a Harley Davidson frame and put a small-block chevy engine in it, sideways. This engine had Hilborn injectors and burned Nitro, and was producing about 500 Hp. It was started by having a couple guys hang on from the side, and it was pushed with a truck. When the engine fired, the assistants lifted the rear of the bike (these must have been some strong guys!) and put it up on a wooden stand that kept the rear tire, a 10" wide racing slick, off the ground. When the christmas tree said go, E. J. would rev the engine to 6000 RPM and the assistants would push him off the stand! It did a wheelie about half-way down the strip, and did about 160 MPH in the quarter mile. E. J. tried to find a small, light clutch for the thing, but he never found anything that would work. He tried helicopter clutches, but even they didn't quite do it. The rear wheel was coupled to the engine with a huge multi-width roller chain. Well, one day he reached the end of the strip and closed the throttle, and nothing happened - the throttle was stuck! He cut off the magneto, but a very hot engine (no radiator, just the thermal mass of the water in the block) burning nitro at wide open throttle doesn't need much ignition! It kept right on running. He hit the brakes (dual caliper aircraft brakes) and that slowed him to about 150 MPH, but he could feet the handle retreating under his grip. There was no fuel cutoff! As he was approaching a line of trees at the end of the strip, he took the only action he could think of, he jumped off! He slid on his rear until it burned through his chaps into his skin, and then did some somersaults. Amazingly, he ended up being able to walk after all this, and followed the new gap into the forest to see what became of his machine. All he could find was an engine block! Nothing else recognizable.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the post.

He was always a hero to me.

How about "Wild Willy Borsch"? Drove Top Fuel Altered named the "Winged express"

That is a Top Fuel (nitro) engine in a very short wheelbase frame with a half body on it. They would cruise through the lights with the rear tires still hazing and the front wheels off the ground a couple of inches. Wild Willy did this routinely driving one handed as he had to hold on to the cowl with his other hand.

Attachments

• Wild Willy Borsch in the Winged Express - one handed..jpg
    Wild Willy Borsch in the Winged Express - one handed..jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
These guys were just amazing. I remember E J Potter starting it up being towed behind a pickup then lining it up about 15 degrees off heading to the left , starting in the left lane and leaving rubber for the full 1/4 in a curve that took both lanes. His launch control was just orgasmic with the back wheel driving on full power then dropped to the tarmac. Part of my (unpaid) job when I wasn't putting up wooden fences, and when he was running was to try and help repair the tarmac again. When the smoke cleared. There was another chap there as part of the same team at the beginning in Poddington called Al Eckstrand who I think was a D.A. and he called his Charger "The Lawman".
Just really nice to have been around in those early days of what is now called Santa Pod.
What did I drive/ride ? A Triumph 350 with an engine built by Owen Greenwood who was the British Sidecar Champion at the time ...... in his mini special.
My Triumph was quite amazing and extremely fast in a straight line and saw off the Bonne's and Atlas's no sweat. Owen said the safe max rpm was 8250 but it would go up to 8700.
Around corners? - a load of bollocks but all Triumphs were anyway.

Owen~Greenwood.jpg

Here is OWEN GREENWOOD & that Mini Special.

Last edited:
Back