My Barn (motor cycle) find.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
A few weeks back a colleague of mine wandered into my office and noticed I was looking at classic motorcycles on E-Bay. "Are you interested in those old things"? He asked. "sure" was my reply, "I love the old bikes".
Long story short it turned out that his father who passed on some years ago had and old bike.
"Its in my Garage covered in crap, dunno if it goes or not". "Do you want to take a look"?

It turned out to be an 1955 AJS 500 single and it sure was "covered in crap". Dust, oil and rust.
After some negotiation the bike became mine.
When I got it home I couldn't wait to clean it up. I forgot to take before photos:eek: so the ones you see are after about three days of degreaser, truck wash, cutting compound and polish.

I drained the fuel, which was black, replaced the oil and got a new battery. 6 volt. The horn and lights work.:)

Replace the fuel lines put in a couple of liters of fuel and kick her over..I really mean kick, no electric start on these babies.

BOOM!! a massive backfire nearly throws me of the bike and I'm nursing a bruised foot.:eek:

My fading memory recognises a lever, a valve lifter, you bewdy. Technique comes back also, amazing what a nearly busted ankle will do for the memory.
Take it to compression, use the valve lifter to get passed compression and kick....Roar, clouds of black smoke and the wonderful sound of that big single coming from the straight through exhaust.:pepper::pepper::pepper:

A few adjustments to the Amal carburettor and my new project is ticking over nicely.

The next thought is I wonder what is required to get it registered, it was last registered in 1986 and still wears the label.

I decide to call out the mobile inspection guy expecting him to give me a list of things required but he ticks all the boxes and I go and collect my plates. No compliance required for 1955 models :pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Here are some pics

Attachments

• DSCN1937.jpg
    DSCN1937.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 574
  • DSCN1935.jpg
    DSCN1935.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 596
  • DSCN1939.jpg
    DSCN1939.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCN1938.jpg
    DSCN1938.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 581
Well isn't that one of the nicest and exciting thing in live putting live back in an old machine.Well done Pete it sure looks good now.Emiel

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice Pete,

The next challenge is to find yourself a period driptray. ;) Don't forget, when they stop leaking oil it's time to top them up again.:rolleyes:

Cheers, and don't kill yourself on it. Remember if the good Lord had intended us to ride motorbikes he wouldn't have invented cars.:lol:

Fantastic Pete. Those were the glory days of the Empire, and it shows in the lovely old machinery. Well done. All my barn leads turned out to be false rumours, so haven't had the thrill of fixing up a barn find yet. Some of this machinery should be sitting in the corner of the lounge as a conversation piece, instead of the Venetian glass and fine porcelain.

Dalton

wonderful Pete!.(very cool the gt40 reflex in the first pic..)

Is that one a bike sounding as POT POT POT POT... ..when started?:D
Remeber now u also need the right dress (glasses and helmet of the period) to drive it..

Brian Magee

Supporter
Here's one I bought recently. Will take more than a quick polish up to get this one back on the road. 1962 Francis Barnett Cruiser 89 250 twin.

Attachments

• 25-3-07 p28 r.jpg
    25-3-07 p28 r.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 539

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Emiel, I'm tossing up between doing a full house restoration or leaving the patina of age on her. I'd be interested in every one's thoughts.

Keith you are right, it truly is a motorsickle:pepper:

Russ, I've already stolen the drip tray from the barbie. Di was pissed at me for using the bed sheet as a temporary drip tray. No sense of humour bloody sheilas.
I have owned Ariels, Trumpys, Beezas, Aj's and Nortons in my youth and if they weren't dropping oil the first thing you did was check the level's.

Dalton, thanks if she who must be obeyed was not in force the whole house wold be decorated differently, it would be weird though.:D

Paolo, well spotted in the first pic. I would like to say it was deliberate
but I'm not that flash as a photographer.

Fred, naughty boy. It is only Kiwi's who enjoy that sort of thing and only when the sheep are tired.;)

David, the engine number is 5516m S 24237 if that sheds any light.

Brian, you will be amazed what a bit of elbow grease will achieve. Nice find.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
What a find Pete !! Absolutely gorgeous !

Now as to that 3 days of "degreaser, truck wash, cutting compound and polish" - are you sure that the team from "Overhaulin" didn't pay a visit ? !!

You have done a brilliant job in bringing it back to its former glory - if there is a little "patina of use & age", then I reckon that it is a part of its history and adds to the attraction. IMHO, it looks damn near perfect, so I can see no point in garnishing the lily - no point in a show-pony that you are too worried to ride !

Go ride & enjoy (and add a little more "patina") !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very good!!!!!

My old Norton would kick back like that from time to time if you did not maintain your full weight on that kick-start pedal following all the way through the stroke...

Well done, Pete! I'm all for leaving it as good as you can get with polish and degreaser. There are too many out there over restored and tarted up.

Let me do the happy dance with you :pepper::pepper::pepper:

That one is worth celibrating with friends!

Pete,

Way to go!!!!

I can agree with you about the compression release and making your leg last longer by using it. Ouch!

I vote to leave her as she is. In the present condition, she presents herself very well, and trying to improve on the spit and shine department would be the wrong thing to do. Nothing like having a nice ride in original condition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Gary, leave it as a clean period bike. All you need is one of Chris Melia's extra large biker babes and hit the road. On second thought, maybe that single cylinder won't haul his girlfriends.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
I've had a look around at various other machines and yours may be the AJS 18 made in London by AMC (Associated Motor Cycles).
Here is some background:
Associated Motorcycles

Associated Motor Cycles (AMC) was a British motorcycle manufacturer founded, by the Collier brothers, as a parent company for the Matchless and AJS motorcycle companies. It later absorbed Francis-Barnett, James, and Norton before incorporation into Norton-Villiers.

Associated Motor Cycles was formed in 1938, though AJS had been bought by Matchless's owners, the Colliers, in 1931. Sunbeam had been bought in 1937 from Imperial Chemical Industries. AMC designed an all new range of Sunbeam motorcycles, maintaining Sunbeam quality and engineering,[1] but sold Sunbeam to BSA in 1943.

In 1939 a 495 cc AJS V4 was built to compete against the supercharged BMWs then dominating racing. The bike was a water-cooled and supercharged. In 1939 the dry-sump V4 was the first bike to lap the Ulster Grand Prix course at over 100 mph (200 km/h). It weighed 405 lb (184 kg). Its top speed was 135 mph (217 km/h). Then the Second World War intervened.
In 1941 Matchless motorcycles introduced telescopic front forks called "Teledraulic" forks, considered by some to be the first major innovation in front suspension in 25 years.
During the Second World War, Matchless manufactured 80,000 G3 and G3L models for the armed forces.
Post war
In 1946 Freddie Clarke joined AMC as Chief Development Engineer after a difference of opinion with Triumph. In 1947 AMC absorbed Francis-Barnett, and in 1953 further extended the empire by soaking up Norton. Post-war landmarks start with the production of Matchless/AJS 350 cc and 500 cc singles, developed from the legendary war-time Matchless G3 produced for the Army. From 1948 competition models of the singles were produced which gave the company some memorable wins. By 1956 they had eight models in their line up, but the number had dwindled in 1965. The G3L was the first to feature the “Teledraulic” front forks.
In 1949 the first Matchless/AJS vertical twin (500cc) was produced, later to be joined by 600 cc and 650 cc vertical twins in 1956 and 1959 respectively. On the racing front AMC were fielding the AJS Porcupine (500 cc forward facing parallel twin), the AJS 7R (32 bhp, 350 cc OHC single), the Matchless G50 (a 500 cc variant of the 7R) and by 1951, the Matchless G45 (500 cc vertical twin). The AJS Porcupine had been designed for supercharging, before the rules changed ending supercharged racing motorcycles, but even so, Les Graham won the 1949 World Championship on an unsupercharged AJS 500 cc Porcupine.
In 1951 AJS development engineer Ike Hatch developed a 75.5 mm bore x 78 mm stroke, three valve head version of the 7R making 36 bhp (27 kW). [2] It was called the AJS 7R3, and was Ike's response to the Italian multi-cylinder racers. They did well enough in their first year, not as well the second. For 1954 Jack Williams, the works team manager, developed the bike further, lowering the engine in the frame, and making some tuning changes that gave 40 bhp (30 kW) @ 7800 rpm. It immediately won the first two rounds of the World Championship and took first at the Isle of Man TT. These were factory specials, but one has survived, and a second has been reconstructed from spares. In 1953 there was a Clubman range of Matchless/AJS 350 cc and 500 cc singles, and the production model Matchless G45 500 twin became available.
Norton was bought by Associated Motor Cycles, by then consisting of the AJS, Matchless, James and Francis-Barnett marques, in 1953 after it became obvious that the Norton company was not doing well despite the success of the "Featherbed frame" used in racing bikes and the production 1952 Dominator 88. After 1957 Norton models used the AMC gearbox.
AMC withdrew from the world of works and one-off road racing at the end of the 1954, with the death of Ike Hatch, and in the face of fierce competition from the other European bikes. Instead of works specials, AJS and Norton would make the production versions of the Manx Norton and the standard two valve AJS 7R, for privateers.
In 1958 the Matchless/AJS road bikes were joined by a 250 cc and in 1960 by a 350 cc for a lightweight series of singles.
In 1960 Bert Hopwood resigned from AMC and went to Meriden. That same year AMC posted a profit of a bit over 200,000 pounds, not so good compared with BSA's 3.5 million. Then in 1961 they posted a loss of £350,000. With the closure of the Norton plant at Birmingham in 1962 and the merger of Norton and Matchless production, the future was beginning to look rather bleak. In the sixties, with sales declining AMC made the commercial decision to focus on the Norton twins and the Matchless/AJS singles but they were not to be successful and the factory ceased production shortly afterwards.
Some models were "parts bin specials" put together at the request of the American dealers. The Americans were desert racing, so Berliners sent AMC an example custom bike using a Norton 750 motor in a G80CS frame, and asked them to build them some. This was the last Matchless motorcycle, the 748 cc G15 which was also sold as the AJS Model 33' and as the Norton P11.[3] The G15 was produced up until 1969. A Mk2 version was sold in Britain from 1964.
Matchless/AJS built predictable handling, comfortable, well-made, reliable and economical motorcycles, for their day. Unfortunately such attributes were not enough to keep them in business. Continuing poor sales led to AMC becoming part of a new company, called Norton-Villiers-Triumph
Norton-Villiers-Triumph
By the late 1960s, competition from Japan had driven the British motorcycle industry into a precipitous decline. In 1966 AMC collapsed and was reformed as Norton-Villiers under Manganese Bronze. This only staved off the problems for a little while and Norton-Villers eventually went into liquidation in 1974. Norton was reformed with financial assistance from the British government as Norton-Villiers-Triumph (NVT) actually incorporating the majority of BSAs motorcycle concerns but omitting the BSA name for Triumph. In part due to a labour dispute, NVT later went into receivership in 1974.

Back