Mr. Revson

I was fortunate and honored to meet and talk with Peter Revson's father, Martin last evening at a friend's Christmas party.He was there with his beautiful wife Jeannie.

At 96 yrs old he's doing great.He looked snappy in his coat and bow tie.I let him how much appreciated his sons were and are still to this day.I was initially hesitant to talk about the subject for fear that it would be something he wouldn't want to talk about. Luckily that was not the case,as it made him happy to know people still admire and are interested in Peter and Doug.

Eric Johnson
Clinton Corners,NY

Hi Eric,

Your name sounds familiar.

I used to live just down the street from you in Sharon CT.

A stones throw from LRP.

I used to do part time work for Doug Hobby @ Autosport.

Have we met?

Cheers,
Scott

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I had the pleasure of sitting with Peter and his then girlfiend, Marjorie Wallace (Miss World) for lunch the day after the October 1973 USGP at Watkins Glen. It was a Ford function and an old family friend and Ford dealer (and part owner of McLaren), Bill Smith, had arranged for Peter to attend a dealer meeting held at the Glen Motor Inn.

Very nice chap and he was a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in Cali at the timer so he had a true interest in the meeting.

He was always fighting the "Revlon Heir" image and wanted to be known for his driving and not his family.

Paolo,

Thanks for that link.You're right .He was in the right place at the right time.He was a very quick,had alot of panache and did indeed drive some fantastic cars.The Revlon "rich kid" image was a tough hurdle to get over,but I think his driving record stands up well in an era steeped with so many skillful and brave drivers.

Interesting ,one of those photos in the tribute film shows Graham Hill I believe, at the accident scene trying to help...

Eric

102 years old and going strong ! Signed my book while in Florida while visiting friends in Hobe Sound. Priceless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
An interesting factoid is that Peter was the FIRST driver to use the experimental 427 alloy Ford motor in competition.

CAN-AM , Elkhart Lake September 1, 1968.

Z.C.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
A friend's father was one of the sponsors of Peter Revson's Can-Am cars in the 1960's. When I was eight years old, I had the thrill of riding with Mr. Revson around Road America when he was testing a GT40. Something I'll always remember.

Pat

Supporter
I think Peter never really received the recognition he deserved as a driver because of the family name and his untimely passing. He also had his share of bad luck, wrong team, wrong time and wrong co-driver.
One of his best drives was Sebring in 1970 but his heroic drive was overshadowed by his famous teammate, Steve McQueen. As an indication of the respect of his fellow drivers, race winner Mario Andretti is quoted as saying, "They never mentioned Revson, and Revson drove the lion’s share of that race because Steve had a broken foot. Revson was doing a phenomenal job, obviously, but he never got mentioned. So that sort of motivated me somewhat.”

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"They never mentioned Revson, and Revson drove the lion’s share of that race because Steve had a broken foot. Revson was doing a phenomenal job, obviously, but he never got mentioned."

That sort of thing happens to far too many people no matter what their vocation. It happens so often it's pathetic actually.

Paolo,
The Revlon "rich kid" image was a tough hurdle to get over...
Eric

Just being wealthy period is at times tough enough to deal with (or so I've been told).

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You can buy a ride, sometimes, but you can't buy your way into the winner's circle. You have to beat everyone else to get there. And if you don't win, you won't be able to buy a winning ride, either.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Peter was very, very fast! You don't need to hear more than the fact that he won two Grand Prix's driving for McLaren, you can't buy that!

A friend's father was one of the sponsors of Peter Revson's Can-Am cars in the 1960's. When I was eight years old, I had the thrill of riding with Mr. Revson around Road America when he was testing a GT40. Something I'll always remember.

Good for him. That's probably why you have your GT40 today !

I just heard from Martin's daughter, Jennifer Revson that her father passed away this morning just short of his 106th birthday. Guess He's with his son's now...RIP Martin

Back