Daytona coupè

The Cobra Daytona Coupe was designed by Shelby employee Pete Brock in California. The first one (which later became the "Missing" Daytona) was constructed at the Shelby plant in California. Five additional Daytonas were then built in Italy.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Built at Carrozzeria Gran Sport in Modena, Italy (Ferrari’s back yard). I don't think Scaglietti would have ever taken the job, it would have meant crtain loss of all his Ferrari business!

Rick

Keith

Well I personally took this picture of one of them in 1985 I think, at a Classic Gt race at Brands Hatch UK. I was racing the car in the third pic.....

Nowadays I just bench race - but I don't even do that much any more. :(

(PS in the background of the 3rd shot, you can just make out the "old" Paddock Bend....best corner in the world bar none (before they sanitised it just like the Bus Stop :mad:)

In those days, we never got covered "pits" in the Paddock either...and we certainly weren't allowed near the hallowed "Grand Prix" garages!

Attachments

• DC 02.jpg
    DC 02.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 475
  • DC 02 (2).jpg
    DC 02 (2).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Tiger.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 415
Thats the Williment Coupe Keith, not one of the 'original six' but a car built from a buck made by John Ohlsen ( Kiwi ) who had played a major part in the fabrication of the first coupe.

Yes ,still all alloy body- Single exh each side-Rear hatch with alloy surround as opposed to tube frame & plexi, Flip front from above radiator inlet, W/screen & Door shape were most obvious differences. John ( Now deceased ) also built a couple of FIA Roadsters & one coupe in NZ with Shelbys blessing as a continuation car in the late 80's/90's.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I restored the Willment Coupe in the late eighties. It is a right hand drive car. That is the car that Bob Olthoff(Dennis' father) and Jack Sears had many victories in South Africa and Europe. It is now stored in the Shelby Museum in Bolder, Colorado. It made it to Goodwood last year.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here is a very poor scanned picture of the car just as I was completing the interior and about to button it up.

Yes the car was aluminum. When I stripped the body I found probably 50 lbs of bondo in the rear panel of the car. Kept taking it off expecting to find a lot of covered up damage. There was none. Hum, maybe a different way of placing weight where it is needed.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 432

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Paolo:

Yes, I have many pictures during the process. They are photos and will need to scanned in. As you can see they are pretty bad quality photos.

I'll try and put some more on this thread if there is interest.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
ps:

The picture that I posted of the Coupe was scanned from a slide and it is backwards. I just noticed because my uplostery room is backwards in the background.

Back