hotel recommendations in OZ?

Hi, or G'day, mates. Would any of you down under care to recommend a decent hotel in Auckland and in Sydney? My wife and I will be there the latter part of Feb. I define decent as 3+ stars and hopefully around $200 US give or take per night? In Sydney, it would be nice to be within easy walking distance of downtown shopping, the bridge and the opera house. Tough to get ideas from internet hotel advertising, and local info is always the most reliable, right?
Thanks,
Mike

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From experience, the Intercontinental in Sydney is nice and just up from Circular Quay. The Opera house is a short walk to the right and the bridge a longer walk to the left. Rooms are really good and I think the building used to be the original finance area in Sydney. The restaurant called City News used to do fantastic breakfasts and you can sit and watch Sydney on its way to work. The boats are the ferries coming in from places like Manley and don't think the people are waving at you. They are just frightening the flies away.

Hi Mike,
I think the Intercontinental goes by another name now or has shut down, was a great place. I believe the Sofitel is good and is close to Circular Quay, restaurants, the rocks and museums. If in the rocks try sailor bay thai for a good meal.

Steve

Hmm, it's going back a few years, but we stayed at the Harbor Rocks Hotel. (I know I am not a local, but places that are popular with tourists, while more expensive, sometime offer a better experience.) The Rocks area was nice with good food and drink, but while it is close to the night life, the bridge and the opera house, it is not close to the main shopping. We have a friend who at the time was overseeing the Paspaley Pearls store in Syndney, kind of like the Rodeo Drive area of the town. He took us around which was nice to have a local do, as we saw things we might never have otherwise done -- including some pretty pricey necklaces. He did take us to what may be a tourist dining establishment: Doyle's. It was down by the mouth of the bay and afforded a great view back to the city. The food was great, and the view amazing, but maybe pricey. Sydney is a pretty large city, so you may want to pick an area and explore, leaving other stuff for the next time. Auckland was only one night for us and unmemorable as the weather was poor. Good luck and safe travels.

Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,
Check again.
I think it was refubished but is still there in the old treasury building on Macquarie street.
Dave.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,
I know as a fact that it's still there. If you have a retired crew I.D., you can negotiate a discount as well but remember it's a five star hotel next to the Circular Quay in the middle of a fantastic city. I think it's one of the nicest 'pubs' that I've stayed in around the world.
The LA times (Irene Virbila) did an article on the restaurants around the area - several pages long but well worth a read.
Australia at the head of the table - Travel - LATimes.com

ps - the City News restaurant that I mentioned earlier is down on Circular Quay and not in the hotel. Their 'Champagne and Scrambled egg on fresh rolls breakfast' was the regular order for most of us having just worked all night. The Manley ferry pulls in right in front of the restaurant and is quite entertaining.

Last edited:
I stayed in the Hilton, which is directly opposite the QVB. Nice now that it has been refurbished. Sorry I don't know the price, as used my hotel points to stay there. Being on the road sometimes does have it advantages!!!

Brett

Back