A "Morton" moment......

Malcolm

Supporter
Look out guys, its infectiuos!

Yesterday I was at a meeting with all the owner/occupiers of an industrial estate. One gentleman was recounting a story of how his unit was ram raided. The ram raid failed with the perpetrators requiring hospitalisation!

What had happened was that at the end of the working day, the workers had parked their 4 ton fork lift truck just inside the unit and pulled down the roller shutter door. So when the ram raiders drove at high speed into the roller shutter door they stopped a bit suddenly and not being seat belted in, went through the wind screen! Yahoo!

And the Morton'ism here?

When the police were sorting the mess out, the owner of the business was cautioned! He was advised that IF the ram raiders made a complaint regarding being injured, the police would come back and arrest him because he did not have a warning sign on his roller shutter door to warn ram raiders that there was an immovable object just behind!

How bloody stupid is that?

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I remember,a long long time ago, when we looked upon policemen as our friends. Trying to protect hard working honest citizens from the dregs of society.

Unfortunately, now, the dregs have become protected by the PC mob who have coerced and duped the politicians, legislators and bureaucrats. The police are forced by legislation into this ridiculous role of protecting the criminals and victimising the innocent! As a result they have lost the support and good will of the majority of the previously mentioned hard working honest citizens.

In my country the beancounters have also forced a revenue gathering role upon the police as well. In the form of daily quotas they must meet for traffic infringement revenue. As a result of all this meddling, good will and support for the police is now virtually nonexistant. Not the ideal recipe for protecting society!

How times change. I wonder what things will be like in another couple of decades......

Last edited:
On the same note as the ram raiders in the post above (well, somewhat the same.....).......................

A recent event happened in Vancouver, Washington, just across the river from Portland, Oregon, between a mentally deranged idiot with a gun, and an off-duty Sheriff Law Enforcement type kind of guy at his house on a mostly quiet cul-de-sac home developement. The idiot was believed to be on some sort of behavior modifying substance, and was going door to door in this housing development banging (hard) on residents front doors and screeming weird type of crap at the top of his lungs. One resident called law enforcement to report the situation, and while the police were in route to respond to the issue, the idiot left the first house, and went next door with gun in hand to (you guessed...the cops house). The two neighbors during this time were talking on the phone back and forth to share information about the idiot, and when the idiot got to the cops front door, the cop directed his family to a safe place inside the house. The idiot started to bang on the cops front door, and the cop responded by shooting through the side window next to the door, through the door, hitting the idiot on the outside on the front porch to the house. The idiot survived the shooting, and was not killed.

It was a big event where TV and news reporters were really having a hay-day with the ordeal. The end result was that the cop was not found guilty in using excessive force. It is not known at this time wether the idiot will have grounds to sue the cop in civil court regarding the shooting for pain and suffering, ect.

Nothing has been reported recently about this situation, but it appears that it sent a message out to people about what rights private citizens have to protect themselves and their home.

I myself keep a loaded 590 Military Mossburg shotgun with a bayonet and 3" magnum "slugs" in the chamber ready for anyone wanting to bang on my door.

Interesting!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I keep a milkbottle outside the door. It obviously works because I've never had a problem and Eric replaces it every day with one full of semi skimmed.
;);)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Guns are banned in my country so only the bad guys have them.. The good guys had to hand theirs in or face hefty penalties.

Simon,

For the record, we have been in our house for going on 12 years now, and only had 3 trick-or-treaters on our first year in the house.

My comment about waiting for someone banging on my door.......was intended to address idiots that BANG on my door at 3 in the morning, or some other rediculous hour. I have not had to shoot a UPS delivery driver yet, because they are real nice guys, and do their thing during normal business hours.

I do have the shooting talent to hit a one gallon milk jug dead nuts on at 100 yards with open sights though. So, in close, or out there a ways, makes no difference with me. Idiots should take note, and leave the area.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony M,
Definitely not. I'll tell Eric what you said. We get milk, daily papers, and post every day except Sunday - when I have to get the papers myself. Eric does a whole manner of things - fresh bread, eggs, and so on. Long may it last.
Apparently though, milk deliveries are a thing of the past in some of the inner city areas predominantly inhabited by asian, carribean and Euro-immigrants. I know a couple of areas I would not drive through driving a hummer in daylight let alone ask a milk man to go there in the early hours of the morning.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Aahh, David - your talk of a milkman brings back memories !! One my earliest (4 years of age) relates to sneaking out of the house at 4am to help our old milkman do his deliveries in our area. A beautiful yellow cart, a friendly old drafthorse, the sparks thrown up from his horse-shoes on steep inclines, dealing with the move to modern technology (some customers still had milk poured from an urn into milk jugs, whilst the "progressives" were going for those new-fangled glass bottles - silver aly tops for regular, gold tops for full-cream).

Even the baker did deliveries via a horse-drawn cart - a smaller, sleeker cart than the milkman, & a retired race-horse for motive power ! I later learned why he had that "racing setup" - he used to hit on all the young mums (mine included), so needed a fast getaway vehicle in case the odd husband was home !!!

Am I 110 years old ? No - all this happened in Sydney during the early 50's.

In those days, "fast food" was the bread delivery cart being chased up the road by an irate guy in a dressing gown !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Actually there has been an increase in gun related crime since they were banned. The bad guys didn't hand their guns in and they know that the good guys don't have one.They were banned because of a knee jerk reaction to a guy in Tasmania who had forgotten to take his medication and killed a bunch of people with an assault rifle.
Yet another example of ill conceived poorly thought out legislation.

Cars kill and injure more people than guns ever did in this Country, maybe they will ban cars next?

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Tony M,
Definitely not. I'll tell Eric what you said. We get milk, daily papers, and post every day except Sunday - when I have to get the papers myself. Eric does a whole manner of things - fresh bread, eggs, and so on. Long may it last.
Apparently though, milk deliveries are a thing of the past in some of the inner city areas predominantly inhabited by asian, carribean and Euro-immigrants. I know a couple of areas I would not drive through driving a hummer in daylight let alone ask a milk man to go there in the early hours of the morning.

I used to live in the village of Findon, W. Sussex and the Milkman has long gone from there, also from other smaller villages in the area as well as the town of Worthing... Glad to see they are still surviving somewhere in the UK. Tell Eric to keep up the good work...!!

Cheers,

Back