If you had one, would you drive it?

Just like the title say's, if you had a mid-60's vintage GT40 would you be driving it?

To answer my own question, probably not. It would come out of the garage for shows and historics and such, but I would be much better suited with a quality replica that I could drive with pride. I guess I could start working on getting both....

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Drive an original... Well Maybe. I'm pretty sure it would get pulled out and driven around pretty regularly in order to keep everything in working order. What is the point of having such a beautiful machine if it just sits there and rots? I would drive it around the block, or to the local Saturday night meets and put up a velvet rope around it and guard it with an arsenal, but it would get driven. I'm not saying I'd drive it every day!! Hell no!! Have you BEEN to Austin Texas? People here can't drive for sh*t!! Anyway, if I had a replica, I would most certainly drive it more often than the real deal.

So I guess my answer to your question would be, YES I'd drive it, but NO not every day.

Keith

Over here....only if it was dry, over 60 degrees and sunny. Which probably means it would be banged up in a garage for 364 days a year... boomsmile

Seriously though, I could not just keep it in a garage - it would have to be driven as often as possible. We may not get the chance again anytime soon enough if the "global warming and climate change is all the motorists fault" and their political cronies brigade hold sway....

Get out there and revel in it!!!

Malcolm

Supporter
Definately drive it, might be a little selective on where and weather but I am a little for when I take my GTD out anyway. Driving a 40 in the wet is not too much fun on the road, good fun on a track if careful.

Drive it! You never no when your time is up and I want all the seat time I can get. Or sell it and buy one of everything else you ever wanted!

If I had an original, it would mean I had a lot of money -- assuming I went out and paid a few million for it. I therefore would drive it. If in my current financial situation, I cobbled together the money to buy one, (I would first have to pay for a divorce), I couldn't afford the risk of driving it. Replicas, while still expensive, provide the average Joe with a way to enjoy driving these great cars without the fear of financial ruin stemming from a blow-out.

I've always thought aircraft museums were just a little sad no matter how wonderful it is to see the great ones up close. The same with cars...they were meant to be driven, and while preservation is a noble thing, owning a car you can't drive for fear of damaging it is a little like owning a Renoir that you keep in a vault for fear it will be stolen.

Driving a car like that can be very nerve racking - you're always worried that something is going to happen (accident, door dings, speed bump bottom out, vandalism) that it takes a lot of the fun away - I have a couple of colleagues who have cars of that calibre and they say it's a lot more fun to drive something less exotic/expensive where you can relax and just enjoy the car without worrying too much. For that reason, a good quality replica GT40 is probably much more enjoyable to drive!

I've driven my MK-IV my T-70, my P 3/4, my 412P, my 166 SC, my J446, my DV 32, my P 4/5 over 500K miles on the road. I plan to drive my latest Dino Competizione a lot starting with 1000 miles of road driving on the Giro d'Sicilia/Historic Targa Florio this June.

Never hurt one never gotten a ticket in one.

Attachments

• %23046.jpg
    %23046.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 411
Not driving a beautiful classic is a lot like having a beautiful woman and never making love to her because you want to save her for the next guy!

eheh, Jim, u are wellknown on magazines to be a REAL supercar user (so they all are worried to give u something u can REALLY use as everyday car ;)).

Btw the picture u post is wonderful, what car is that?(dino ?)
And how about the lady in front of it?:D,she doesnt look sicilian..

Best

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
It was built to be driven. I would not abuse her, but I would stretch her legs whenever possible.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
And yes, David speaks via example. I've seen him drive her hard and put her away wet:burnout:

the answer to that question most of the time will be directly related to the percentage of your net worth the car holds. Face it, the smaller the risk to your bottom line, the more likely you are to take that risk.

Any car that is worth a Million or more can be destroyed down to the number plate and rebuilt as good as new, look at the Wonder car, raced for 40 years, it was a total rat when I saw it at Symbolic with the wrong 4 cam motor in it. Some cosmetic work was done and it sold for over $2,000,000.
Why not use the thing? The Monterey Historics is made up of beautiful old cars whose value is only enhanced by their use. it is very cool to see somebody driving the wheels off a Ferrari 250 LM alongside much more obscure and less valuable cars.
The Brits, Aussies and Kiwi's seem to drive their cars and put them on the track a lot and that is very cool.
Would I want to drive it every day to work? Probably not, but I drive mine to work sometimes, just because I can!
Dave

Back