Congestion Charge

I read today that congestion charge will be increased in London from £8 to £25 for all cars emitting more than 225gms of Carbon Dioxide per Kilometre, in addition to all cars registered before March 2001 and having an engine size of greater than 3000cc

So it seems that all large engined GT40 will be kept out of London unless they are willing to pay £25 per day. Gone will be the chance of driving a 40" high car between Two Red London Buses and enjoying the traffic jams without overheating.

What are they going to bring in next to stop our enjoyment as I also read today on the forum that Silverstone will be enforcing 105Db.

ENJOY YOUR CAR WHILST IT IS STILL POSSIBLE

Porsche UK are asking for a judicial review... so it will be interesting to see the outcome. It could mean that Ken's autonomy over London may soon start to fizzle (hopefully).

Keith

I read today that congestion charge will be increased in London from £8 to £25 for all cars emitting more than 225gms of Carbon Dioxide per Kilometre, in addition to all cars registered before March 2001 and having an engine size of greater than 3000cc

So it seems that all large engined GT40 will be kept out of London unless they are willing to pay £25 per day. Gone will be the chance of driving a 40" high car between Two Red London Buses and enjoying the traffic jams without overheating.

What are they going to bring in next to stop our enjoyment as I also read today on the forum that Silverstone will be enforcing 105Db.

Porsche and Landrover are possibly going to seek a judicial review against it. It will do nothing to reduce emissions and is everything about the forthcoming Mayoral elections. It's just an ass about face way of dealing with the dubious claims that a few vehicles are responsible for global warming at best and social engineering at worst. As usual, it will hit the "little guy" hardest.

Welcome!

Welcome to Estacada, Oregon USA.

Population 2600ish. Police enforcement is by contract with the local County Sheriffs Office, usually 1-3 cars during the day, and one at night. Alot of nice open wide roads, and very little traffic. Worst thing is to keep an eye out for log trucks hauling trees harvested for wood products heading to the lumber mills in the area.

Vehicle registration for autos older than 1974 has no restrictions. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) sends out your registration renewal forms, and you send in the $60.00 USD to DMV for two year "tags", and you are done. No emissions on anything older than 1974.

Having to put up with a congestion charge is bullsh*t. I think the general public should come up with a bullsh*t charge to be levied against the government that would be approved by the general public to deter the future laws of this nature.

Or............you could move to Estacada!:pepper::pepper::pepper::burnout:

Cheers,

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter

How do they define London, is it just purely the city itself or surrounding areas ? How do you know when you are in the area or not? Does it apply to just passenger cars or lorries and buses too?

It's currently not all of London and the area is clearly marked with red lines, signage and a "C" symbol. The funniest thing is that it is on the honor system. Most Americans believe that means if it is BS, you don't pay. In the UK though, there are traffic cameras and mobile detection centers everywhere. Based on my observations as a frequent visitor with an office on Oxford Street (heart of the congestion zone), most of the revenue must go to pay for detection of violators and enforcement.

If you think that can't happen in the US, think again. NYC will have one soon if Bloomberg has his wish.

The CC is just another tax.... if they were that worried about all these mega polluting cars (bet Big Ken owns a nice Jag) they'd just ban any private passenger vehicles from entering central London... job done.

Keith

Would that be the 'little guy' in the Land Rover or Porsche ?

Smart (but predictable) answer - no it wouldn't. The proposed limit catches all kinds of vehicle and not just the 'Chelsea Tractors' that Livingstone alleges are the real target plus we have been give only 9 months to deal with this. It catches my business vehicle for example and 60% of my revenue comes from central London using this vehicle which I have just invested nearly £40,000 in. I cannot afford to change it, and there is no viable alternative at present.

I am a 'little guy' and like many others will be hugely affected by this rubbish proposal. I wouldn't mind if this action really achieved anything, but it is classic electioneering and social engineering.

we use to copy everything happens in London.
so ticket there..and ticket here, SUV ultra tax there?..(I hope) really HIGHER here.
Drive in a city is a real pain in the ass.
City in general are such pain..

Keith

The funniest thing is that it is on the honor system.

There's nothing honourable about it. I did a U turn in a road which led to a congestion charge zone but it was a no through road anyway (so what was the point?) because I had missed a turning out of the zone. My destination was not in the zone and I didn't need to enter it. My wheels went into the zone by 4' before I turned and left immediately. I thought about paying £8 for that 4 feet but reckoned that nobody could be that mean - could they? Oh yes, I got a £120.00 fine for not paying the £8 for the 4 whole feet. Appeal denied.

An honour system is one which relies on a voluntary payment without penalty. This is a very efficiently enforced system, believe me.

Taxation without representation. If I had some tea, I'd chuck it in the harbour.

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
There's nothing honourable about it. I did a U turn in a road which led to a congestion charge zone but it was a no through road anyway (so what was the point?) because I had missed a turning out of the zone. My destination was not in the zone and I didn't need to enter it. My wheels went into the zone by 4' before I turned and left immediately. I thought about paying £8 for that 4 feet but reckoned that nobody could be that mean - could they? Oh yes, I got a £120.00 fine for not paying the £8 for the 4 whole feet. Appeal denied.

An honour system is one which relies on a voluntary payment without penalty. This is a very efficiently enforced system, believe me.

Taxation without representation. If I had some tea, I'd chuck it in the harbour.

How do they know you haven't paid it or if you were going to, is your number plate matched up to the purchase? If so I guess that means that they take a picture of every car that goes into the zone and then run the numbers to generate a list of "offenders", then I would think they would need to raise the charge in order to pay for the system and still make some money they can spend on some other useless cause..!!

I don't see this hitting NYC, the outcry from the parking garages alone would be huge and if people didn't want to pay and couldn't drive into the city anymore the public transport system wouldn't be able to cope, plus think of all of the revenue the state would lose from the tunnels and bridges. It already costs me $15 a day just to get from NJ to Brooklyn, NY and back each day..!!

My GT40 is registered as a 1966 collector vehicle - here in Washington State no tax or tabs or fees of any kind, no tolls on the road or limitations (other than speed bumps!), wide open roads outside the city and I can go downtown and enjoy the sound of a barely muffled 302 richochet off the tall buildings. No Big Brother here - love it, I feel pretty lucky.

Tony,
there's automated system that captures your numberplate and matches it against a central database of vehicle registrations. The system cost about £160 million to set up with an annual running cost of approx £130 million. Profit, by law, has to be invested back into Londons transport system, which last year was approx $90 million.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Get this reg:

FUK KEN

and reg the car in Germany

Then when asked , i have templates of letters to send.

Letter 1
if replied to send

Letter 2
if replied to, send

Letter 3,

The Met then gives up, otherwise they open themselves up to being sued for harassment.

Its the same way that rich celebs have been getting away with speeding tickets for years, by employing Queen's Counsels.

Play them at their own game!!!

You are unlikely to have to send letter 3,

They know the score by now.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Just another example of authority using the non scientific, non proven, carbon BS to raise revenue. Stand by; more will jump on the carbon band wagon.
There is money to be raised and gullible people to be conned into thinking carbon taxes and carbon credits are a good thing.:dead:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok you think that is bad?

There is also a low emission zone for London. It is currently for trucks (Diesel) that do not meet certain emission requirements.

But read it further and Red Ken will also hit the 4X4 brigade in the near future and the charges on these are even scarier!

The congestion zone in central London only works really during business hours and the Low Emission is 24/7.

So picture a Scout group it struggles to keep a minibus on the road for camp trips etc. This now falls in the charge limit and so it now costs an extra £100 a day for the trip. Basically just shut down Scouts overnight. There are NO exceptions to this - I have a child in a Scout Troup Inside the Zone and they are basically sitting on a worthless vehicle now!

Read about this here! Emissions standards | Transport for London

Now I know why they banned weapons in the UK when an IDIOT can bring in such laws

Ian

So glad i don't live in London......... it's bad enough that the council tax is sky high and the tax on fuel is equally sky high, now they're inventing lots of new taxes.
Which is only really going to effect is the price of goods and services, not going to do anything about the dreaded Climate Change (a.k.a. convenient way to squeeze more money out of people).
Most people who drive in London, need to drive in London... and Special K knows this... most people who don't have to drive in London (like myself) avoid it like the plague.

The thing about The LE Zone is that gets me, new cars (after about 2005 ish, maybe earlier) are graded for their road tax by emissions so those big 4x4's etc.. that Special K hates so much already pay more to drive on roads... so they're already paid, now if they want to drive in the Crapital of £ngland then they have to pay for it again.

Last edited:
Back