A Cobra in Italy..

well, I want to share with u today experience.
At the end o the street where my shop is placed there is a new car dealer usually selling used sportscars (easy to find there many used Ferrari and almost all commercial Porsches).
Sometimes the guy dares to sell also "other" cars as Noble or TVR, with some success cause anyway Milano is still a good place where sell expensive cars.
When I walk over his showcases there is always something cool to see (also if just to see) and when he has time I spend some minutes in talking to him,also if I wellknow in such places is easy to be full of wannabees and tyre kickers.
This time my heart was stolen by a blue Cobra,in the classic american livery (took also some pictures of it, but cant post here cause I'm in the shop right now),and this time i really cant go on and HAD to ask (u guys dunno HOW rares are our cars down here...u really cant immagine it.:confused:).
The rarity of such car anyway also involves a big mess in car description (at the beginning he told the car was an original,as usual.....u know),after some minutes we found it is a Contemporary Classic car (think is a good replica then,also if my knowledge on Cobras is not as about the gt40s..).
The engine was a 427 (but in the meaning the headers were plated with 427 tag),at my ask about the shifter..the guy simply answerd "original".
U know is hard to enter a cardealer presenting something so special as a Cobra is here and show him u maybe know a little more than him about a car he is selling.
I really wasnt able to recognize the engine if really a 427 or not.I was sure the carburator was an edelbrock.

All discussion anyway dramatically stopped when he turned on the engine, being a v8 (can be also just a 302 or a 351, but when your illness is at my levels the brain simply disconnct and hearts pump as never before..damn it!) I simply shut up and loved it (my brain anyway was repeating me in loop..Paolo..its just a NORMAL american pretty Cobra..nothing matter with your GT40..thats a LOT much more special stuff).
I also had the opportunity to give a look at the streetable italian documents,cause the car already featured an italian 2007 plate,and I was surprised cause neither authorities know how to register it (documents were referring to a generic 1965 Mustang fastback)
Will no be surprised if the car get a registration under some special extra payment..u know.
Nearly surely (being this an american Cobra with our side driving)the vehicle was imported by someone doing all the mess to make it streetable here and THEN resold to this dealer,surely working on the rarirty of this nice car.
Dunno the value in US for a nice Contemporary Classic, simply consider here the car is for sale at 85.000 euros =130.000 usd.
If I had such amount now for a car,I think I will go for Robin Batt's GTD for sale now.The price is the same,the car is a little different....;)

U clearly see it is better....much more better to learn the car and manage all alone (is legal to enter USA with 40.000 dollars cash guys?)

Down here our cars are really something u have to manage absolutely alone (and in this helps the fact cars as cobra and gt40s are quite simple in mechanic,if compared to ANY other modern car).
Surely all this is a fee to pay for the presence of Ferrari and a too old law system about special vehicles (the road/insurance documents seems coming from 1920, and are printed in 2007...)

Just want to say a BIG thank u to all this comunity to learn me everyday so much about "the way" in the nicest and affordable cars in the world.
When will be my time (and I hope one day this can happen),will use all what I am learning here day by day.;),also if I already noted our cars pass from friend to friend....maybe in different contries.

Cobra pictures will follow soon....(still have the engine sound in my heart..and was JUST a Cobra..;))

and here enclosed are the pictures of the car.:rolleyes:

sorry for the quality of the pictures, mobile quite old and all done in hurry

Attachments

• DSC00482.jpg
    DSC00482.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC00483.jpg
    DSC00483.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 412
  • DSC00484.jpg
    DSC00484.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC00485.jpg
    DSC00485.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC00486.jpg
    DSC00486.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 423

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Paulo, one easy way to identify the FE (Ford/Edsel) engine family is to look at the valve covers and how they mount to the engine. Most modern V-8 engines have cylinder heads that mount to the block and the valve covers mount to the top of the cylinder heads only. However, the FE design used a very unique intake manifold design, where the intake manifold actually extended up to the same level as the top of the head and the valve cover attached to lips on both the intake manifold and the cylinder head. Look at the front of the engine and see if there is a "seam" between the intake manifold and the cylinder head that extends all the way up to the valve covers. If not, it's probably a stroked 351 Windsor that could truly be 427 CID, still not a bad engine, but not "original" to the true Shelby Cobras (most of which in reality turned out to be 428 Cobra Jet engines, again, a good motor, but not of the same league as the Side Oiler 427 FE).

IMHO, that same car would probably sell for around $40K-$50K in the U.S.....there are quite a few for sale in that range.

I imagine it is much less common to see a Cobra in Italy than to see a Ferrari in the U.S., but still I have the same reaction as you whenever I see a Ferrari on the streets--instant desire!!!

Doug

Paolo,

Contemporary Classics is a very well engineered replica package, and the Blue example was put together with detail in mind. This example shows the "SC" dash layout without glovebox-including reverse speedometer, door ferrolls for the side windows (left out on many other replicas), "SC" rear fender lip, rivets in the front part of the hood, forward bent shifter, correctly routed oil cooler lines, and more.

I agree with Doug, this is a solid $45K Cobra, but with so many examples of Cobras of the same build quality here in the USA (ERA & SPF to name a few), this car could be a $40K car also. In Italy, I can see how this Cobra would stand out in a car show among other cars painted red.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

The guy is very near to my shop, sometimes he also has a good appeal and I will ask him again if i can take some pictures of the engine (also if I think the front was different from Craig picture)
When he told me about engine 427, I reply 7400cc and he reply me..NO..this is a 7000 (and I shutted up,also cause this cubature was written on document too).

The beauty of the cobra is stunning (I mean the Cobra in general,...this also seems a nice one,I dunno much more about Contemporary cars, do they have a website?),my breathe was really stopped, and also today I went there to see the car.
I just know gauges are always expensive,and just would like to learn a little more about the differences between american cobras and british cobras (the Gardner Douglas seems really serious)

I personally cant consider for the moment the import here of an american complete car,and thats a shame, cause there are really too many wonderful affordable ones (from cobra to mustangs and all 60's muscles).
On the 40-50k dollars(33.000 euros) for the car I should add 2000 euros for the shipping,plus 500 euros to move the container in genova to ground and open it + nearly 8000 euros to replate the car (not so easy and a waiting for over 1 year),and adding 20% of her value in VAT and..from US also a 5% as Dazio.
Will be surely cheaper anyway than this "pappa pronta" one.
Shall I start consider to become a local dealer for cobras and Gt40s here?:D commercial experience I surely dont miss...always so worried if my people will love as I do my anglo-american roadrunners...:rolleyes:

Btw Really an istant desire.... in a showcase always works (also in scale)

Last edited:
Paolo,

I used to follow up cobras more than 15 years ago when my desire for this cars rose.
Around ´95 contemporary was one of the top notch replicas to buy. very original style 4" round tube ladder frame, exact body copy, salesbury copy ( jag parts) suspension and so on. Together with ERA, Unique Motorcars and Everett Morrison they where supposed to be the top quality in Cobra replica you could buy at that time.
Than was the dawn of companies like FFR and SPF. Especially FFR took away a lot of business from this( in terms of business approach)oldfashioned companies. Although the product was of high quality the donor car concept of FFR and the finished roller concept of SPF was hard to beat.
The remains of contemporary have been sold to FFR.
I don´t know it this is the truth, but supposedly contemporary had developed or where in the middle of developing their daytona coupe at this point of time. So the story goes that the contemporary coupe was the base for the FFR Daytona coupe.
Probably someone can confirm or correct this.
Anyway contemporaries are great cobra replicas, but the price your neighbour is asking for seems to be very high. For this you could almost get yourself a perfect RCR 40 ready to drive .

well,finally I took some pictures of the 427 engine (sorry for the poor quality form mobile camera).
The guy present there today wasnt so much collaborative, when I simply ask..How about spare parts? knowing the company is out of business, the aswer I get was absolute silence, from his back while smoking a cigarette,and this explains me many things,meanwhile a 17yrs old kid dressed as al capone was explaining the car to potential customers by phone.

Attachments

• DSC00491.jpg
    DSC00491.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC00492.jpg
    DSC00492.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00493.jpg
    DSC00493.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00494.jpg
    DSC00494.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC00495.jpg
    DSC00495.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC00496.jpg
    DSC00496.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC00497.jpg
    DSC00497.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC00500.jpg
    DSC00500.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC00502.jpg
    DSC00502.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC00504.jpg
    DSC00504.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 317

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Definitely an FE, Paulo--but that spans a range from 332 CID to 428 CID--best to look for a casting number and/or serial number on the block--the heads look to be alloy aftermarket units.

The FE would "add", for some, "correctness", but from the standpoint of drivability, I'd personally rather have a stroked 351 W (can be made to 427CID easily)--those FE motors were quite heavy and that always affects drivability. Still, I predict this car will eventually sell for a pretty penny, simply b/c of the level of completion and the fact that someone will want bragging rights for having the "correct" motor in their car. It's a big issue with some Cobra fanatics.......

Doug

Back