How Many Pilots?

Ron Earp

Admin
Aviation threads generally generate a fair number of responses on this forum. Threads like this one:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/paddock/24613-horror-landing-hamburg-airport.html

And other aircraft threads have "high read rates" on GT40s.com. I wonder if GT40s.com has a disproportionate number of pilots in relation to a) the general population and b) an average car forum.

In 2005 the US had 295M people and about 609,000 pilots. This works out to about 0.2% of the US population (sorry don't have world figures).

If this ratio were to remain constant for GT40s.com membership we'd have about 12 pilots here with a total membership of 6000. Or, maybe we should estimate an active readership of around 2000 and we'd have about 4 pilots.

So how many licensed pilots do we have here on the forum (don't have to have a current medical, just at one time been a licensed pilot)?

I'll sign up as pilot one.

I'm in that category, tail dragger no less. Not what you'd call a "heavy", but a '49 Stinson. Operate off a grass strip in a valley with lots of wind and trees at one end; NC27.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Been one since '76. Thanks to another pilot here on the forum some of that time was in a Citation but most in multi-engine complex.

Urs

Supporter
i started with gliders and now i fly only powered planes .most of the time tailwheel planes,

Sat most of the exams,did the hours, never got round to doing the check rides to complete it all due to the finding out the club instructor was being very gratuitous towards himself with club income- I got very offside with club & obviously him when I pointed this out- old case of shoot the messenger:)

Enjoyed the flying though- C150/152/172/180/185- Cub,T-Hawk,Cherokee, -Tobago, Kit Fox. Fletchers. Crazy thing is I live 10 minutes from Croydon AC & yet have never been in a Tiger Moth, must do something about that one day!

Jac Mac

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Count me in. Since 1978. Most of it in powered fixed wing craft.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in, I no longer have a current license. Endorsed on Chipmunk, Tiger Moth, C150, 172, Cherokee 140, 180, Arrow. Victor Airtourer.

Interesting thread and I would think that the percentage will be much higher than simple calculation would dictate.

A 40 replica is not the cheapest of automotive hobbies, therefore it follows that many (not all) owners would fall into the category of having above average disposable income for 'fun activities'. Clearly pilots often (again not always) fall into this category and also i'm sure that many others, who are not pilots by profession, are able to indulge themselves with not just cars, but planes too - and why not! - I probably would given the chance...

Have I held a licence? - alas NO, but I have flown 'hands on':
A Comet
A Varsity
A chipmunk
A glider
and a Sepcat Jaguar - All (bar the glider) complements of my time in the Royal Aircraft Establishment (as was)... - oh happy days...

Oh - and my guess would be at least 10 times the expected percentage - or more. So between 2 - 5% of membership.

Got my ticket in 1987. Haven't flown in a while, but medical is current. Cars not built yet, but I'm making slow progress in the forward direction.

I got my first license in '67 and was a USAF pilot back in the 70s.

Got parachute rated at Ft. Benning, Ga. in '68, but compared with sky diving there's not as much training needed for those static line jumps. Just "Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door...."

Chuck

Supporter
Ryan and I have been working on our ticket for the last year plus and we hope to have our license by summers end. Have a '67 172.

Ryan plans to take up skydiving as soon as he turns 18 next February. Can't say I am too excited about that idea.

UH-1H, AH-1S, AH-1F, AH-64. I think your stats are blown Ron.

A lot of similarities between the AH's and GT's.

Back