Can You drive it to a garage without MOT

Just a quick question. (For those in Britain - sorry) I know you can drive a car without tax or MOT if you have booked an appointment for an MOT. But can you drive it to a garage for repairs before you get it MOT'd? It must be insured I know.

It's just that I want to get my GT40 to my engine man who lives 10 miles away for a bit of set up work and fit electronic ignition then take it to be MOT'd.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Ken, I would say no, why not take it for MOT first, then you wouldnt have the worry and hassle if you were stopped. I don't think there is any rule except the one you quoted, so if you were stopped, you would be taking the chance on the ociffer being in a good mood, and if not ---

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
No you cant. Without MOT, insurance is invalid and you are only allowed to drive to and from a garage for a pre-booked MOT. To get to any garage for any repair work, the vehicle should be trailered.

Hi,

You can drive to a garage without an MOT on your vehicle IF it is booked in with them to carry out work to rectify a fault that it would fail an mot on. Had a mate get stopped by the plod waiting outside a tyre depot with no tax or mot, but as he was booked in to get tyres for an mot,( and the nice Mr Policeman went in to confirm this,) he was ok.

Jerry

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Thats not what I was told after a motor of mine failed its MOT. Your mate might have been lucky. Is it worth the risk? A definitive answer could be obtained from VOSA.

Here in the US if it's got four wheels and a seat we drive it. If it doesn't have a license plate we just borrow a plate off a tractor or something....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here in the US if it's got four wheels and a seat we drive it. If it doesn't have a license plate we just borrow a plate off a tractor or something....

Larry the Cable Guy mode ((ON)) -

Now that's funny raht there....

((OFF))

Too bad it's not like that all over the USA.. The Local LEOs here would have you arrested and your vehicle towed and impounded...
They have no sense of either humor or humanity...
When they get their badges - Their MAN-CARDs are replaced with GOD-CARDs... :(

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
In Alabama, there's no rules for having a car on the road. By "car" I mean vehicle, I've seen the weirdest vehicles on the road back there. Now that I'm in Texas, they're a little more strict believe it or not. In Houston they have a pretty strict emissions inspection, same in Dallas. Austin just got emissions, and it's a load of crap. LOL It's honestly another way for the local government to make money. Now that I've moved in with my fiance, this area doesn't have emissions or any of that crap. Sooooo I can build whatever I want!!! Muahahahahaha LOL Hope you get it sorted out with your car though man.

Laters,

Brian

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I have just checked with VOSA and there is good news and bad news......

If a vehicle fails an MOT test (Or prior to an MOT), you are allowed to drive it to and from a place of repair without a valid MOT certificate providing you drive it DIRECTLY there and back again. I am not sure how that would affect you with, what could be considered, non-essential work, such as electronic ignition.

However, VOSA did tell me that if you take your car for an MOT test, prior to an MOT expiry date, although VOSA would still consider that the remaining MOT was still valid, the police might not and if you continued to drive the vehicle on the old MOT certificate, they might consider that you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle and could impound and crush your vehicle.:eek::eek:

Dont know if that helps or not?

Back