Ripped off in OZ

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Saw this on the net, it shows how much we get ripped off buying a luxury/ exotic car in Australia. These prices are for The Porsche 997 GT2.
Same price ex the factory in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:place w:st=
<st1:country-region w:st="on">Germany,</st1:country-region></st1:place> add a little extra for freight to OZ the rest is government taxes and charges.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><B><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial><B>I guess the good news is we don’t live in <st1:country-region w:st=
<st1:place w:st="on">Denmark</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
997 GT2

Full details ---> http://aussieexotics.com/2008/01/03/...ound-the-world

$218k - US
$269k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$270k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$291k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$299k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Switzerland</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$316k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$319k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">France</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$320k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Italy</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$347k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Brunei</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$349k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Spain</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$425k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$465k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">China</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$504k - <st1:place w:st="on">Hong Kong</st1:place>
$594k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:place></st1:country-region>
$920k - <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Denmark</st1:place></st1:country-region><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Exchange rates - No.
Customs Fees - Yes.

Mostly its to do with a populace who's uneducated about the subject and put up with this BS across the board whether is car or TV prices.

It also has a lot to do with the deluded idea that a country of 20m people can support a domestic car industry and the resulting government interference required to keep that industry afloat.

I personally buy most of the car parts, books etc that i require now from the USA even with freight I generally pay 60% at most of the local Australian cost.

For example I recently bought a Arai crash helmet in Tokyo for 53,000 Yen the same model is A$1,200 (You do the math). Now if all of that price difference is getting the Aussie approvals done on the thing I'd be absolutely flabbergasted.

Last edited:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Does the Arai helmet have the Aus standard 1698 sticker on it Doug? I only ask because without it Cams won't allow it's use for racing.

Ross

Bill D, it's unlikely that there is an exchange rate effect here. Just for example, the US dollar is incredibly weak right now which would theoretically make it more expensive to buy a European-made car such as the Porsche. The US is in fact the least expensive locale.

I think Doug is exactly correct - the delta here is purely government taxes on importation of foreign-made "luxury" goods. The typical legislative intent behind these types of taxes tends to be two fold: tax revenues for the taxing jurisdiction and the encouragement of domestic production of substitute "luxury" goods.

The reality is usually a little less thrilling - although some tax revenue is undoubtedly raised, I haven't noticed Denmark or Malaysia or China developing a thriving supercar automobile industry....

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I believe that Denmark, and China are actively trying to discourage the use of cars because of their high populations. Hence the extreme taxes.

In Australia we do not have that problem, successive Governments of either persuasion just love to tax the shit out so called "rich" people. Hence luxury tax.
Also as Doug says it is rediculous trying to have a car manufacturing industry with a low population and very high labour costs.
Hence high import duty on foreign cars.

Does the Arai helmet have the Aus standard 1698 sticker on it Doug? I only ask because without it Cams won't allow it's use for racing.

Ross

The helmet in question is a bike model. Nope it doesn't have any Aussie approval and I really don't care about that as the sticker don't make it any safer.
Interestingly I believe Motorcycling Australia is equally as daft as CAMS as whilst my Snell M2005 & FIM & JIS approved helmet would be good enough to use for Moto GP it'd potentially get rejected at a club event for not be Aussie approved.

BTW the same shop in Tokyo had Arai GP5 car helmets on the shelf for 103,000 Yen (Before you argue a discount) and the same helmet as far as I can see is A$1,700 in Australia. But as you point out although it could legally be used in F1 it mightn't be acceptable when it comes to a local club meet.

I've realized this is all a government scheme to keep immigration under control, if you could live in paradise and get all the toys on the cheap too there'd be too many people trying to get in. Conversely in the USA they need to keep things cheap for the opposite reason :laugh:

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Does not need to have AS 1698 "approval Sticker" there are several alternative standards listed in the CAMS manual. I use a helmet purchased in USA at half the cost of equivalent Australian price and no 1698 sticker. Greed of resellers has a lot to do with the prices we pay for stuff. I am fortunate in that I do a lot of work related O/S travel and quite frankly I dont shop in Australia.

You should have to deal with the Thailand "duty". They can charge over 300% even on a used car. The real catch is they value the car when it arrives. If youdont want to pay the duty you lose the car. I am still looking at the way to register a kit. Importing parts has only a 30% duty.

Pete don't think that it is only in Aus that this happens. In South Africa it is the same import duties and people making a quick buck out of even the average person as well as the rich is the name of the game here. I imported a Duc from the UK a few years ago and with shipping charges, relevant duties and taxes paid I got it in to the country R30,000 cheaper than what Ducati SA was selling it for. Their excuse was that there was price increase but that was BS as I did not pay any extra to the supplier in the UK from the time I paid for it till it was delivered 4 months later.
Everything is cheaper in the US and we get told that in other countries things are mor expensive because of the low market volumes what rubbish.
Right get off my box now.:laugh:

Regards

Back