Lime Rock Park raceway to go under the knife

I've heard through a reliable and unnamed source that Lime Rock Park will see significant changes to it's present configuration designed to slow the cars down for the 2008 season. Apparently, changes will be made to the esses, which will be sharper in radius (almost a chicane), the uphill after noname straight will be modified again, and the turn before the spectator bridge will severely altered to slow speeds approaching the harrowing (and exciting) diving turn.

As a vintage racing historian, it's bittersweet to see a circuit that has retained basically the same layout since 1957 be sanitized in this way,but these are the times that we are living in.

The circuit has recently announced they are becoming a quasi /club track where for 100,000 us dollar initiation fee you can become a "member" and enjoy numerous track priviliges.I'm sure the configuration changes are meant to protect some of the folks who sign up for this program.

This fast little track will in my mind suffer for the rest of us who have in the past admired it as a challenging raceway where momentum is key...

Look for an official announcement as early as tommorow.

Last edited:
Too bad ! I don't know why they can't leave a good thing alone? I loved racing there. My first SCCA race was there. I heard Skip Barber and Sam Posey talk about this last year, so it's no surprise to me. They had a very large offer to buy the track and turn it into a golf course and condos. That would have ended a long history of racing.

Chris,

You're right, I'll reserve judgment on the new configuration until I see the finished product for myself. There is now new information on their website LIME ROCK PARK that details the "improvements" for this years season.

They had a very large offer to buy the track and turn it into a golf course and condos.

RIP Bridgehampton.
bhgolf1.JPG

This used to be an incredible race track. Now it's 18 holes of expensive boredom. (of which there are already countless examples on Long Island already) One interesting thing though - apparently there is no dress code. You pay gobs of money to join, but you can play in ripped jeans and a t-shirt if you want.

Back