Indy 500

All,

I've been invited to go to the Indy 500 this weekend, staying downtown indianappolis for a few days.

I was wondering of anyone could give me the 'heads up' on the race & the city, is where best to eat, any 'must see's in the area?

Bearing in mind I don't travel outside the UK much & haven't been to the US for 10 years!!!

Any opinions or do's/dont's much appreciated!!

Regds,

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Julian !!

The best steak house in Indy is St. Elmos. Call them as soon as you get in town, for reservations for what ever day you wish to dine there. They were in the top 10 steak house's in the entire US last I knew. I always eat there, when in town for the US Nationals, the PRI show or any conventions. You won't regret it.

Regards Brian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Very good breakfast in the Brickyard Crossing - the hotel right next to the circuit. The bar is also good with lots of 'good old boys' frequenting breakfast and the bar in the evenings.
Name droppping - last visit I had breakfast with AJ. Quite a lot of G'O'Boys rv there for breakfast.
Brickyard Crossing

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ditto on St. Elmo, old time, high quality steakhouse. Ate there in 79 the night before the race and had AJ, Mears and assorted other scattered around our table. Killer steaks!

Gents,

Just got back from a really amazing weekend at Indy... great race, great city & was made to feel really welcome by the locals. Had a good meal at St Elmos, the shrimp cocktail blew our heads off!!!, V pricey tho!!

Popped into the Brickyard crossing for a few beers, (amongst many other great bars). So thanks for the tips guys!!

I have to say the whole experience of the USA & the Indy residents was truly heartwarming. It's great to see a country so patriotic & proud, I really hope to go back soon.

The race was pretty spectacular, a great win by Dixon, altho the talk of the day seemed to be about the Danica incident!!!!

Regds,

Back