Street party impromptu

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Late on Sunday morning I was heading out in the GT40 to check on my pregnant mare, blue sunny sky 24 degrees C, what a day for a drive to the country.
About halfway there strange smell, Uh Oh, water temp off the dial and nothing but steam in the rear view mirror. Quickly pull off the freeway into this quiet little Cul De Sac and lift the rear clip. Belts are O.K. but there it is, a hose has worked loose, or the clamp holding it onto the pipe has and all the coolant has departed onto the road.
O.K. time to call Scott my tame tow truck driver who is set up for low clearance cars. "No problem Pete I can be there in about two hours".
Two hours? O.K. it's still a nice sunny day so I settle down on the rear wheel to wait, watching the Sunday drivers go past on nearby Moggill Road.
A polite cough interrupts my thoughts and I turn around to see this couple dressed in their white bowls uniform and at least 80 years old. "beautiful car Mister what is it?" Well you know how we hate to talk about our cars, so I gave them the full potted history of the GT40 and how it kicked Ferrari's arse at Le Mans.
Seeing that I hadn't attacked Bert and Madge (not their real names) with a wheel spanner seemed to encourage the rest of the neighbors and soon I was surrounded by a group of about 20 all asking questions about the car and its Origin. One bloke I reckoned worked for QLD Transport because he was asking very informed questions about the registration process, I was very careful to answer according to the book.
Then Graham turned up with his camera and tripod and politely asked if I minded if he took some photos? "Not at all" well I don't think there is one square inch of #48 that Graham hasn't recorded for posterity.
Graham became my newest best mate when after putting his cameras away he wandered back and handed me a frothy icy cold beer.
Other neighbors took the hint and out came the dips and the corn chips,
it was turning into a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.
Cars were pulling in off Moggill rd just to see what was up, some would just do a circuit and move on and others would disgorge Mum Dad and kids and take photos with the phone and the move on.
About that time Scott arrived and we loaded the car and headed home.

My thanks to all the hospitable and friendly folk in that little Cul De Sac just west of Kenmore you made my day.

Great experience, Pete. The nice thing about especially interesting cars is not only our own enjoyment of the car (driving it, or building it, or both, whatever), but also the great social interaction it brings. I bet even an old guy like you could pull in it if you wanted to.

Happy picnicing,

Dalton

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
One of the positive side effects of owning one of these vehicles is it allows the driver to meet a wide variety of different people and actually talk face to face i.e no technology involved.

I had an amusing "old" couple story last time I was home.

Whilst filling up No72 at the servo I heard an elderly female voice say "what a funny little car",I turned to see a couple in their late seventies,I would guess,walking towards their car when the husband turned to her and said "you stupid woman (must have been an allo allo watcher) that is a Ford GT40 that Henry Ford II had built to beat Ferrari at Le Mans and they did in 66,67,68 and 69 and if you would get your eyes checked you could read the number plate which says this is a 69 model GT40".

I went inside to pay for the fuel and when I returned to my car the couple where driving out of the servo with the gentleman driver still berating his wife who looked like she wished she had an older style hearing aid with a volume control on it.

Got to love them.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Great experience, Pete. The nice thing about especially interesting cars is not only our own enjoyment of the car (driving it, or building it, or both, whatever), but also the great social interaction it brings. I bet even an old guy like you could pull in it if you wanted to.

Happy picnicking,

Dalton

Waddaya mean old? Remember age and treachery will always beat youth and enthusiasm.:thumbsup:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Pete
I had an unusual day last Sunday.
My sister in law has a transit van fitted out with espresso machine and earns her living by attending worksites and sporting functions selling coffee, donuts,
and small cakes.

She was at a soccer field on Sunday and as she wanted to see the 40 I drove down to the sporting field and parked beside her van.

After about 10 minutes the organiser politely asked me to leave and park the 40 out of sight as all the players were too busy looking at the car and were not concentrating on the game or listening for when their names were being called for the next match.

It is amazing how much attention these cars draw.

Dimi

Hi Dimi,
Not wanting to derail Pete's thread, but if you have a regular problem with hiding the 40 out of sight, I've just the parking spot over here at my place. Feel free.

Dalton

Back