Another trip outdoors

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I was fortunate enough to spend a little more time in the NW this year. I left 7/26 and got back 8/10. I was able to summit two peaks, got rained off another and had a generally excellent time (even in the crappy weather). I was also able to enjoy the fine hospitality of Tim and Donna again (Thanks again guys!) and we had a great time catching up.

A couple of pics from the first climb, of Mount Hood, with Chris and Sapphire on one rope and Pete and me on another, via a route called Sunshine.

North side of Mt Hood:
IMG_3300.jpg

The gang on route:
IMG_3337.jpg

Pete higher up on route:
IMG_3341.jpg

Chris and Sapphire just below the summit ridge:
IMG_3363.jpg

Summit pic:
IMG_3379.jpg

Got rained out on Mt Shuksan (the most photographed peak in the lower 48):
IMG_3402.jpg

And then, into the PICKETS!!! The Pickets are one of the most remote places you can still get to in the lower 48. There are the Northern and Southern Ranges, named for their resemblance to fences of the same name, and they are an astounding area. Pete joined me for a climb of West MacMillan Spire. Fantastic area:

Part of the Southern Pickets Cirque, W Mac Spire is the major summit on the right:
IMG_3444.jpg

Yours truly:
IMG_3451.jpg

High camp (small tent in bottom left of photo):
IMG_3521.jpg

On the top:
IMG_3597.jpg

A view of part of the Northern Pickets:
IMG_3619.jpg

And then...

Bethany flew up for the last few days to head home with me. We went to central Oregon and down to Crater Lake, but we spent the first night at Mt Hood. We got to Timberline Lodge and on the front balcony before dinner, I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me, to which she said YES! We had a very enjoyable dinner and the next morning we headed to Bend to catch up with another friend. The following morning we drove down route 97 through central Oregon to Crater Lake.

At the lake:
IMG_3792.jpg

We headed back to AZ that afternoon and got in Sun night. UGH!

So now I'm back in Arizona. It's still hot and the car hasn't finished itself. It'll be a month or so before I get truly back at it. I was very happy to get away and enjoy myself for a while though.

You should get paid by the tourist boards for those photos. Boy, do they make me wish to go see those mountains. Fabulous.

And congratulations. You look a very happy couple.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I concur... Beautiful photos!!! And congratulations on your engagement!!

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,

It was good to have you back in town for a few days. I'd offer a feeble apology for the days of rain while you were here but, given that you've since returned to the 110+° heat :)thumbsdown:), rain probably sounds pretty good right about now...

Congrats to you and Bethany on the engagement. She's truly one in a lifetime.

T.

Back