"Hot Rod" Magazine - a broad church nowadays?

This prompted by Ron's latest purchase.

SA does not have a indigenous hot rod tradition, but after years of reading about cars of all types I really enjoy the traditional style of rod and also 60s style dragsters and muscle cars. I will go to Bonneville one day.

It's said most guys of a certain age into cars like cars that were cool or aspirational when we were kids. Some guys like just one type of car, others enjoy a range of types. I like most things with wheels. Looking at some car forums it seems some groups are very dismissive of cars that don't fit their "type" or the way they think things are supposed to be done.

The imported glossy mags are expensive to us here in SA (try equal to a case of beer) so I flick through them, and buy ones that appeal. I really enjoyed the July 08 copy of HOT ROD. It included features on:

A Rambler station wagon with a Ferrari 360 drivetrain
A highly modified sectioned and lowered Volkswagen beetle
A TVR with a 302 Ford
A 34 roadster with a V16 Marmon engine
An Aero 8 Morgan with an LS7
A scratch built Art Deco style V12 engined car
A home build traditional style Indy roadster replica on the street

and

A 215 Buick powered chainsaw

So it seems the old prejudices are dying out?

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Several years back, a good buddy introduced me to finer beer. One day we went to a local party and someone offered us a cold domestic beer in a can - a brew I had consumed plenty of, but had since been looking down my nose at. I started to do the same here, and my buddy immediately berated me saying he never intended to turn me into a snob, and that ALL beer had its merits (especially free beer). So true! Silly as it sounds, I have tried to apply this lesson to all of life, cars included.

We just went to pick up a trailer to tow the GT40 back home. The guy that loaned it to us has a scratch built, street legal drag Camaro. He is a motor builder, and this thing has a 1200 hp Chevy big block, running methane, computer controlled transmission, "stock" body over completely custom frame, race seats, cage, wheelie-bars, parachute, but with carpets and full interior. Incredible car. Now some would not be interested, and I am not normally a drag guy, but what gear head could not get sprung looking at a piece of machinery like that?

I am with you - if it has wheels, I am interested. Thanks for the tip, I think I will have to check out Hot Rod mag!

Yeah i liked the "Rambler station wagon with a Ferrari 360 drivetrain" it was done for the Riddler Award... and it was sweet!!

Back