Phil Hill R.I.P

I overheard two men speaking of Phil while at Laguna Historics just past.

One said "Is Phil here" the other "Yes, but he is not in a good way he lives for this stuff although he suffers so many ailments he takes a handfull of pills every day" They both clearly had a grea sorrow for Phill's condition....and even though I never met the man myself I to was saddened to hear of a hero's decline relayed by men who knew him personally.

Now I feel even more honored to have seen Mario Andretti make brisk laps in his Lotus 79that same weekend. What a treat to see and hear our other World Champion at full chat.

We celebrate one champion we mourn the passing of the other.

Phil will be sorely missed - his collective success behind the wheel, and behind the typewriter, hasn't been matched. What stands out the most to me is that Phil was a gentleman philosopher and family man first, a sportsman second, and a truly extraordinary and gifter driver and writer third. World class level racing today seems full of egotistical and arrogant drivers totally unfamiliar with concept of sportsmanship, and Phil's passing just leaves it that much more barren. Rest in peace Phil.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I had the pleasure of chatting with Phil Hill at the RM Classics 25th Conquer d' Elegance a few years back. He reminisced about the original race program for quite a while, standing beside Angelo's Gulf spec CAV GT40.

A true gentleman from the days when racing was a gentlemans sport. We'll all miss you Phil.

Ian

Attachments

• PhilHillatRM25th.jpg
    PhilHillatRM25th.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 258

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I was at the Italian GP in 1962 - our seats were on top of the garages and we could see down into the pits - Phil's pit was to our right about 50 feet - as I recall he didn't look real pleased with his car, finishing in about 10th place.

He always seemed nervous to me.

A really neat guy. RIP.

Back