Joined the 200 Club today...

Well - actually it's not what you are thinking, I did'nt manage 200Mph - but I did get to ride a rather special bike or two...One of which had over '200' BHP!

Visiting a friend today, I was offered a ride of a new Ducati Desmosedici RR with only 250 miles on the clock. For those unaware, this bike is a limited edition Ducati that features most of the features of their MotoGP race bike, in a package for the road.

Features include Full Ohlins race suspension, loads of carbon fibre, Big Brembo brakes, Marchesini Magnesium wheels and a race exhaust and ECU package that achieves an amazing 205BHP at 13500 rpm. A standard exhaust / ECU for normal legal road use is also provided - but was not fitted at the time...:thumbsup:

So what was it like to ride? (bearing in mind that my current GSX1400 is somewhat like a battleship in comparison, plus the fact that as I've only relatively recently returned to biking, I'm certainly no Rossi...) - well a bit of a shock actually.

I figured it would be quick but bloody hell! - it was seriously quick!!. Below 50mph I found the ride somewhat painful on my wrists, above 50, things happened REALLY fast. The rear brake was not much use, but who uses a rear beake anyway? The front brakes were superb, huge bite and very controllable. I did find the turn in a bit too fast for my liking though. Probably more due to my inexperience in reality and a more experienced rider would probably love it. The motor was a peach! - I've only ridden one Ducati previously, a 900 and that was about 25 years ago, so miles apart in technology. This one with the race exhaust fitted sounded just amazing, with the tailpipes exiting through the tail hump just behind your arse, it was like a symphony just behind you and VERY addictive. There was massive power throughout the rev range, although I don't think I revved it much over about 11K ish and from about 7K it smoothed out turbine like and just wailed higher up the range. One of the lasting impressions I have is just how deceptively quick it accelerated. One second you are showing 40-50 on the digital dash, a slight twist of the grip and without changing gear, you're instantly catapulted into 3 figures in the blink of an eye (well almost!). I did find the rear visibility poor, or at least for me it was as I had to pull in an elbow and move my head to get even a partial glimpse of what was behind me.

We took a ride down a great A-road, with me attempting to keep my friend in sight who was on another of his bikes, a 2008 Fireblade swapping places from time to time and then we dropped into Boxhill to swap over - so I could try the Fireblade too.

Now this was instantly easier to ride for me, for a start I had some rear visibility now whereas on the Ducati, I had none, to talk of and I instantly took to the handling, feeling considerably more at ease when negotiating roundabouts at speed. It was not exactly slow either, with about 180BHP on tap and very very smooth. Then, as we nearerd his home with me leading, he made the inevitable 'flypast' on the Duke, which sounded just awesome wailing past and flaming on overrun as he lifted off.

Both bikes were amazing but with the Blade costing a whopping £30K less than the Duke, it has to offer better value as a regularly ridden bike. The Dukes will often end up as showpieces I suspect although I'm told that the purchase cost includes 3 year unlimited mileage and servicing FOC.

Overall, an amazing experience and not one I suspect I'll ever get the opportunity of again as my friend informed me has actually sold the bike I rode today and also another one he had that had zero miles on the clock.

Sorry if I've rambled on a bit with this but it really has left a lasting impression with me and I consider myself very lucky with the number of rides and drives I've been offered and taken up this season. If any of you read this - THANKS AGAIN....:thumbsup:

A few pics for those of you still awake:

Attachments

• DSCN1229.jpg
    DSCN1229.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1230.jpg
    DSCN1230.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1231.jpg
    DSCN1231.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN1233.jpg
    DSCN1233.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCN1234.jpg
    DSCN1234.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN1235.jpg
    DSCN1235.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN1236.jpg
    DSCN1236.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN1238.jpg
    DSCN1238.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN1239.jpg
    DSCN1239.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN1240.jpg
    DSCN1240.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN1241.jpg
    DSCN1241.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 181
  • FDSCN1232.jpg
    FDSCN1232.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 349
  • FDSCN1237.jpg
    FDSCN1237.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 197
It is an awsome machine (so is the Fireblade). The quick turn in results from the smaller angle of the forks (racing stuff here) and the visibility rearward is a secondary consideration while passing EVERYTHING on the road!

Again AWSOME! Glad you had some FUN!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Absolutley Paul. The mirrors are simply there for the indicators. I've toyed with putting the bicycle type mirror in the end of the handlebars but then decided against as it would spoil the whole shape. Next time your in this area, try the 999 - not quite as wild as the d'sedici but still quite amazing.

Malcolm

Supporter
Looking at the black bike, I don't fancy being a pillion passenger on that!!!!! I would feel somewhat exposed and knowing the owner, I doubt he could resist the temptation of trying to drag my butt on the ground!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fantastic machine the Duke, but as you say value for money the Blade wins. Both bikes look great. BTW Paul how do you get friends like that?

Paul,
cracking first hand write up.
I've seen and heard one, but never had the opportunity to ride one.
So how did you get to Box hill - A272 / A29 / A24, or the smaller roads ?? ;)
I'm just off the A281, so know the area well :)

The burning question is, how much did he make on the bike ?
I've seen a few selling at silly money recently.

By the way, there was a programme on tv last night about the Goodwood FoS. I'm sure you were in the crowd during one of the driver interviews.

Malcolm

Supporter
Yep, that was the new Paul that Lewis threw the shirt back to after signing it.....:) Actually I was looking in the WRC cars for Paul but didn't spot him. Going to fess up Paul?

I thought I saw one of these Ducatti desmo things in action on the program? Or was I seeing things?

Hi John -

Spot on, A272, A24.. and the Ducati was a blast! - I've not ridden a sports bike in over 20 years and it was bloody quick!

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, but still feel my GSX1400 is the more sensible (and affordable) option for me.. To perfectly honest I feel that long term on a sports bike, I'd end up nicked - or dead...

Of course I might be tempted to have a play on a trackday with one though.

The friend had 2 of the RRs - (lucky sod!) and both are now sold.. £:lipsrsealed:

Re the Goodwood FOS - I was there all three days, covering the event for Performance Ford Magazine (Aus/Nz) so expect the article to appear in a forthcoming MAgazine down-under soon!

I'm also at Goodwood for the 3 day Revival event in about 3 weeks time (again for Performance Ford) so looking forward to that too - fingers crossed for good weather...

Malc -
Yep, I did get a blast in the Stobart WRC Focus with British WRC Contender Matt Wilson at the controls - Seriously good fun! - and blisteringly fast - again - read about it in a forthcoming copy of Performance Ford (Aus/Nz).

And yep - you spotted it correctly, Carl Fogarty was blasting the Desmosedici RR up the hill - a bike that I am now still 'glowing' about having been given the opportunity to 'have a go of'.

2008 has been a very good year thus far...

I have had several Ducatis, and still have an ST4S. Its the same engine / suspension / brakes as a 996, but has a more relaxed position & comfy seat. I Spent 3 days last week rocketing around wales on it with a bunch of guys, scaring the locals :D

My daily rider is an R1. It can be blisteringly quick, but at the end of the day it only goes as fast as you want it to. Having said that I see 3 figures on pretty much every journey to & from work, and thats on the A & B roads. It'll do 104mph in 1st ;)

The sales guy in Snells at Alton told me about the couple who brought a pair of Sedici's at the bike show. They already had a pair of 1098Rs, but decided they 'needed' a pair of them anyway. Funny thing is they live on the Isle of white, so god knows where they get to ride them :)

Channel 5 tonight had a bit about FoS. The rallying stage looked excellent. Wish I could afford a swb quattro, or an RS200 would be nice. :)

2004 R1, 180HP, 172KG/379lb,,,,,$5600 104 mile in 1st

Ducatis are for men wearing Satin/G string underwear

Attachments

• R1 007.jpg
    R1 007.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 186
The Iron Sheik once more speaks the truth!

A 1991 TZ250 $3000 to buy and every other penny I had to run but at ~75bhp and 113kg absolute crack cocaine addictive to run...

Attachments

• BikeInActionClipped.jpg
    BikeInActionClipped.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 175
Dave,
I strongly agree, however, a product called "Depends" are a handy item (as assurance that you don't spoil your leathers!)

Douglas,, praise be upon thee,,,,,,,,

Leading edge technology will cost you,,,TRUE. As in Enzo and Saleen S7,,,but so what?

This Forum is for Replica (Plasticy) GT40s. They cost less, look better, hell of a lot cheaper and some of them are damn near as powerful as the above two.

Most of the people on this forum are Fat SeniorCitizens  They could never drive any vehicle (including their son’s bicycle) to it’s limit.

I propose the creation of “3 collars” in regards to bike ownership.

Blue collar…, Rides anything that goes fast, NO riding shoes, riding jackets. (Rider’s weight,150- 190lb, no fat belly or fat ass)

White collar,,,,,,Rides BMW, Fartly Davidson, leather gloves, jacket, boots ( Rider’s weight, 200-300lbs, Fat belly and Fat ass)

Pink Collar,,,,,,,Rides Ducati or similar rubbish,,,Matching EVERYTHING (including lace undeargear), never takes the bike anywhere near it’s limit, and is convinced FAT wallet means PHAT Brain.

I propose the creation of “3 collars” in regards to bike ownership.

Blue collar…, Rides anything that goes fast, NO riding shoes, riding jackets. (Rider’s weight,150- 190lb, no fat belly or fat ass)

White collar,,,,,,Rides BMW, Fartly Davidson, leather gloves, jacket, boots ( Rider’s weight, 200-300lbs, Fat belly and Fat ass)

Pink Collar,,,,,,,Rides Ducati or similar rubbish,,,Matching EVERYTHING (including lace undeargear), never takes the bike anywhere near it’s limit, and is convinced FAT wallet means PHAT Brain.

Why just for bike owners? Sounds like, with a couple changes to manufacturers names, your system would equally apply to most sports car owners.:thumbsup:

Bet your blue collar that you never rode a Duc! I have no use for the Hardly Ableson either, which is proof that the engineers found the most efficient method of mixing fuel and air to create the maximum amount of noise without forward momentum!

Faili, you always make laugh when I read your replies. I guess I will have to put hand rails and a rack for my walker when ever I get my car done.
Dave

Back