Richard Wright - Pink Floyd - RIP

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Knowing the average age of members on this site, i thought this might be of interest.
Richard Wright was the original keyboard player in Pink Floyd. He wrote and played the stunning keyboard parts on the seminal album ' Dark side of the Moon ' . Furthermore, on the song on that album , 'Great Gig in the Sky', he is credited with the melody of the unforgetable powerful backing singer, whose soaring vocals have passed into music folklore.
Unlike the Jaggers etc of this world, he shunned publicity. His appreciation of music was legendary, he was spotted watching concerts from Humphrey Littleton Band right through to Stockhausen. He never chose the easy way and would deliberately play keyboard parts that were discordant, went against the beat and often in a different time signature.
If we liken it to undoing the sump plug, he was drunk, had the spanner held by his little toe and was also shimming the tappets at the same time.

If you would like to hear some of his work, here is a link.
When he was disgracefully forced out of the band, its a nice irony , that Mason rehired him for ' The Wall ' tour as a session musician. Due to the vast cost overruns on the tour, he was the only one that made any money from it. LOL

Shine on you crazy Diamond !!

YouTube - RIP Richard Wright Tribute (1943-2008)

Last edited:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
"He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound. I have never played with anyone quite like him" (David Gilmour)

This was just posted on official Floyd site.

I was lucky enough to catch the delicate sound of thunder tour back in 1987 I think - the original line up minus Mr Waters, I was stunned and have yet to see or hear anything that even comes close to this day. Some of the keys parts wright brought to this band are legendary and he will be sadly missed. I was walking my dog yesterday across the thames from Gilmores paddle-steamer boat "The Astoria studio" and gave him and mason a thought for the loss of their friend.
I know a few people in the floyd camp that were amazed at the reunion a few years back for live8, incidentally the wounds with waters were so deep that waters had to rehearse alone with a recording of the other guys rehearsals ! Its sad that such talented people's ego's can rise so far that they loose sight of the original intention to create great music.
Richard, another great musicain I'd have loved to work with and thank for all the wonderful music R.I.P.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of seeing both Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse of Reason circa 1987
and Division Bell circa 1994) and Roger Waters (Radio K.A.O.S. circa 1987).

RIP Richard, and Syd as well.

Ian

Back