R/C Giant Scale Fly-In,10/12,Connecticut

Hi guys - I would like to invite anyone interested to the IMAA fly-in on Sunday 10/12 at our club field in North Haven(south central CT) Connecticut.I know there are those of you who have interests/hobbies other than GT40's,in this case R/C aircraft. This is a giant scale non-competitive regional event with emphasis on fun, for aircraft at least 80" in wingspan for monoplane and,I think, 70" for biplanes,1/4 scale and UP! There will probably be several aircraft in the 35-43% range,12-20 hp,as well as multi engine and WW2 'heavy metal'.There will be food and drink at the event.If you want to fly your plane,you must be IMAA.Spectators FREE,pilots-$10 'landing' fee. The field is on the north side of Rt 22,a few miles east of intersection I 91 and Rt5.Take left into driveway for Firelight alarms/ Ice Rink,then left at end.Proceed along rear of industrial bldg,entrance to field is gravel road on right,immediately over small bridge and 1/4 mile to parking alongside the runway. Weather should be perfect.:thumbsup: Hope to see you there, A.J.

AJ
Post up a link to pictures of this event or information on the BIG planes. I don't think I've ever heard of such large RC stuff before. There are a few field around here, my favorites are the real jet engine powered jets....those are soooooo cool!

Got it, Chris -actually a 'carry in'.(reference is from full scale gatherings). Mesa - the larger scale percentages are usually those on smaller full scale aerobatic planes like the Extra 260/330,the Yak 54,Cap 232 or Sukhoi 29.These models will typically have a wingspan of 95-123" and from 3 cu in up to 6 or even as high as 12 cu.in.The larger engines are usually multi cyl.The aircraft are in the 25-45 lb range,There are a few Cubs at the field in the 1/3 size - this works out to a 12 foot wingspan.As far as jets,we are presently lengthening the field but right now it's a bit tight for the big jets.The WW2 stuff works out OK - mostly P-51's,Spitfires,P-40,P 47,Focke Wulf fighters running about 3-6 hp in the 1/5 scale range. Good to see some interest out there. BTW - You would just s**t if you saw the incredible job Ron Randall does on metalizing these planes(as well as GT40 stuff).He's also a meticulous builder. A.J.

The guys that build these things have serious skills, knowing a few locally and I aspire to building my car with the same quality and attention to detail I see in their aircraft.
If you happen to be in the area go have a look you may well find it a lot more interesting than you imagine.

AJ, what time? Mike and I will be at Ron's in the morning, but might come by. My inlaws live right across the street from the Firelight company.

Mark - It runs most of the day but due respect for the neighbors,no fuel powered aircraft can fly before noon on Sunday.Prior to that,it's electrics or gliders.Some of the electrics are pretty big these days. I was going to take a foliage run up to Vermont/New Hampshire tomorrow on the Harley but now I'm undecided(too many have-to's encroach on the want-to's.). I'll try to stop over to the shop in the a.m. I think Mike would enjoy this meet. Talk to you then. A.J.

Last edited:
Back