F1 2009

The return of slick tyres, the introduction of "passable" aerodynamics and the debut of KERS.

The absence of DC, who knows who'll be in Hondas and Renaults.

A new wearer of #1 and some new additions to the crowd of those trying to take it from him.

Might turn out to be worth watching....

Keith

The return of slick tyres, the introduction of "passable" aerodynamics and the debut of KERS.

The absence of DC, who knows who'll be in Hondas and Renaults.

A new wearer of #1 and some new additions to the crowd of those trying to take it from him.

Might turn out to be worth watching....

Well done for the positive step of starting F1 2009 thread. :thumbsup:

New additions trying to stuff Hamilton? Do you think they're going to increase the size of the grid then? :laugh:

New additions trying to stuff Hamilton? Do you think they're going to increase the size of the grid then? :laugh:

Keef,

No, but there will be at least 1 new driver to F1 (to bring it back to 20 after DC's move to a commentary box) and there's always the possibility that RB, JB, NP Jr or SB may lose their seats.

I'm fascinated to see how Williams make use of their KERS. I can see applications for the flywheel setup that may not necessarily be about boosting output power.....

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mark these words.
Expect Vettel to be there and taking the crown away from LH in 2009.

Another expectation : Enstone (Renault) will announce the drivers for 2009
in camera today and publicly tomorrow. Radical ? Doubtful but you never know.

50/50 even money on Barichello going to Indy or Champ next year. In the vacant Honda seat? Maybe another Brasiliero?

Last edited:
Interesting to note that Ferrari admit to being way behind on the KERS development, expect an annoucement from FIA that this part of next years requirements will be delayed in implementation ?

50/50 even money on Barichello going to Indy or Champ next year. In the vacant Honda seat? Maybe another Brasiliero?

:shocked:OMG..poor Rubens..I hope for him a better destiny than Montoya in the "soo easy" Nascar serie.
I still remember what Senna said about the american races...he always have been (rightly) too scared by US Ovals..as well as my hero Nigel Mansell had his problems there at the time..

The KERS regenerative systems are not required as yet. BMW has indicated some serious problems in testing wherein a mechanic received an electric shock. Other problems also exist, so look for it to be a couple of years before any real KERS systems appear. So far, there seems to be little advantage other than "appearing green".

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
KERS - something about taking energy created from braking and converting to propulsion :huh:

The noises out of Honda in the last few days suggest to me that Rubens may get a farewell year while Senna & Wurz do development. Wurz of the car, Senna of himself. There is a distinct silence about Button.

The god-like status of the elder Senna in both Brazil & Japan makes young Bruno as valuable a prospect to Honda as any Japanese driver, but he clearly needs some polish. Mind you, the rate at which he's been polishing up over the last couple of years has been quite impressive.....

Keith

The noises out of Honda in the last few days suggest to me that Rubens may get a farewell year while Senna & Wurz do development. Wurz of the car, Senna of himself. There is a distinct silence about Button.

The god-like status of the elder Senna in both Brazil & Japan makes young Bruno as valuable a prospect to Honda as any Japanese driver, but he clearly needs some polish. Mind you, the rate at which he's been polishing up over the last couple of years has been quite impressive.....

It seems to me that the Brazilians bring more than a natural skill to the motor racing arena - they also bring a lot of family cash. This is vital for a youngster trying to get noticed as they can afford the best seats in the lower formulae. An interesting contrast to GB drivers which has undergone a sea change from almost exclusively "Gentlemen" racers to ordinary guys with no cash just bags of skill and enthusiasm from humble roots such as Council Houses (Project Housing for our US colleagues). Both Nigel Mansell and Lewis Hamilton come to mind and there may be others.

There is now and always has been a distinct lack of commercial support for any sport in the UK from UK companies and all British athletes and sportsmen (and women) usually have to fight tooth and nail to get sufficient funding to train etc. This is probably why we've never really got an answer in the Americas Cup although we have got plenty of sailing talent over here (as evidenced by recent Olympic successes). Nigel Mansell in fact, sold his house and lived with his family in a small trailer to fund his racing, such was his self belief.

This is not intended as jingoistic post but an illustration of the differences that money can bring. McLaren in fact have another "youngster" in the wings who punches way above his weight - Gary Paffet, another natural talent if ever I saw one, but regretfully he may not get his chance in F1 because he hasn't the financial clout.

However, cream does rise to the top! Remember De Cesaris? No amount of cash could get him further up the grid but he was fun to watch! :laugh:

Back