fuel pump for land speed record car.....

Malcolm

Supporter
I was reading Motorsport this month and they had an article about the attempt to achieve 1000 mph in a "car". To do this they will use a couple of jolly big jets/rockets attached to a very stream lined chassis/body shell. It will consume 1500kg of fuel in 80 seconds! Now to allow this to happen they need a rather big and powerful fuel pump. They decided to use an 800bhp V12 engine just to pump the fuel. Now that is a serious fuel pump! :)

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have been following Bloodhound for some time as well, and still think it is a staggering objective.

Since seeing Saxoncross posting last year I have been wondering if it was 'the' Andy Green. Is this actually so?

It will consume 1500kg of fuel in 80 seconds! Now to allow this to happen they need a rather big and powerful fuel pump. They decided to use an 800bhp V12 engine just to pump the fuel. Now that is a serious fuel pump! :)

Sure is a lot but pales a bit when you compare with space shuttle numbers....(approx)

Main engines burn a mix of liquid Oxygen and Liquid Hydrogen at the rate of approx 1050 gals per Second!!

Add to that the solid boosters which burn solid propellant (bit like a very BIG firework) at the approx rate of about 9000KG per Second!!

eek! - wouldn't want that fuel bill....

Oh and the biggest firework of all (read Saturn 5 / Apollo) burnt the fuel at 13500KG per second (give or take the odd ton! :thumbsup: )

That is amazing. You should read about the F1 rocket engines that the Saturn V used. EACH - yes, EACH (there are 5 on the first stage) has its own 50,000hp turbojet just to run the fuel and oxidizer pumps. A total of something like 42,000 gallons every minute flowed to the engine to make 1.5 million pounds of thrust. Again, EACH F1 engine had this. Makes your head spin.

Back