Dino 206 Engine and transaxle

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,
I need to get out of this GT40 rut for a while so I will contemplate starting a new project over this holiday and would appreciate suggestions.
I have an early Dino 206 alloy engine with all the nice magnesium parts. So, has anybody mated a non-F transaxle to one of these engines or advise possible candidates ?
I will engineer the bellhousing etc.

Last edited:
James, I've seen the 206 dino engine mated to a fiat transaxle - I'm guessing it wasn't a X19 transaxle as if I'm remembering correctly the X19 was a transverse install.

As far as other candidates, I suspect a porsche 914 transaxle would be a reasonable fit - should be able to handle the modest hp/torque and be very inexpensive to source.

What are you thinking of putting the dino engine into?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Cliff.
I will have a look around next week.
I am thinking about a small kit-car for my wife. Nothing too fast but with a bit of styling maybe.
Something like this original.

Attachments

• SP005.jpg
    SP005.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Here's a VW box which may be food for thought.
An old picture from somewhere and I have forgotten everything about it.
I don't fancy that shaft hanging out the back.

Attachments

• VW 091 BOX.jpg
    VW 091 BOX.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 225
You should go ahead and complete the car but dont try to make us believe its for your wife! She wouldnt go 10 feet in it and her hair would get all mussed up.Good plan though ......make her believe that its hers and then take it for yourself.What about going full roadster style?
As for that transaxle look at the dunebuggy sites,maybe mendeola? It looks familiar.

Yes I would have to agree with you egoman I think Jimmy is full of shit.
That is a VW Combi box.
Diff CW & P are a bit small but seeing as it is only a ladies car it should be alright.

Italians do have style.

Jim

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Those guys are a bit harsh on you Jimmy, I have no doubt of your good intention's and fully believe you will build the car for your wife.
Of course if she did'nt like driving it then you would have to fill the breach and take it over. Especially on track days....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pete track days what are you talking about, this will make a great shopping car.
Lots of luggage space and you can drive it under the boom gate in the car park (no fees) seeing as Jimmy is is Scotish and all.
Oh Jimmy good try.

Jim

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Cheers Pete,

I must say somes chaps have a quaint and perverse view of their life-partners or perhaps women in general and I suppose they prefer them to stay at home on Sundays making a small dress from paper patterns.
In my situation a lipstick from Woolworths will not suffice as any token of my appreciation and my sentiments are entirely true.

This morning, I have made enquiries about getting oval extruded tube for a frame chassis and an "E-lite" transaxle.

Last edited:
Back