in honour of Sir Stirling Moss

I agree - horrible thing!

Weirdly I was in the newsroom where I work a couple of weeks ago when a phone rang and I picked it up to hear a vaguely familiar voice asking for Hannah - one of our researchers. It was Sir Stirling Moss!

As usual in such moments instead of having a lovely chat with a long time hero I was reduced to a series of squeaks. But he was lovely - gave me his home telephone number and asked for Hannah to ring him back. What a gent!

Why were we ringing him? To get his opinion on Honda's departure from Formula One.

Another of our reporters, Rhiannon, was taken round Silverstone by Sir Stirling in a C type Jaguar in the summer. He's still pretty quick....

Stirling said it was a great loss.

But I hear today that Dave Richards, who owns Prodrive and ran the Subuaru World Rally team until they pulled the plug, is in the Middle East brokering a deal to buy Honda. He used to head the team when it was BAR.. complicated innit?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Wow! That's incredible that you got to speak with him!! I was kind of the same way when I spoke with Jim Hall on the telephone about a race series I was trying to put together. It was really hard to get the first few words out of my mouth, and I think they went something like...

"Mr. Hall, it's so great to speak legend motor... you're awesome..."

Then he laughed and I composed myself and said what I meant to say which was...

"Mr. Hall, it's so awesome to speak with a legend of motorsports, thanks so much for taking the time to talk with me."

Kinda cool when you get to meet and speak with one of the greats...

Back