The Best Replica!

Advertised as 3/4 scale yet has 66% wingspan - plus its got a chev dimension based powerplant. The red/white example at top of page is Kiwi Thunder which was a partial assembly kit that came to NZ via South Africa. Lots of room for improvement & yes I have read the FAA accident reports- many moons ago. For my money Jim Stewarts all metal S-51D was closer to the real thing. :)

Sorry Scott, was not trying to rattle your cage--keep forgetting you guys are still back in the dark ages of Bush/Obama & 2008, suns up here in NZ- we have the Key to a brighter future- no snow- light breeze- no hangover- no Tornado's- Life is Good.:):)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jac - I've not been much for the notion of leaving American soil ever since I got home from the service. However. With literally weeks now of sub freezing and many days of sub zero-f weather, I am giving consideration to other locales - yours being one of them...

Nice website...

Back when I lived in the Dallas TX area there was a company building kits/replicas at 3/4 scale I believe of the P51D that used the SBC as a powerplant. I believe the owner of the company was killed in the crash of one of their creations... Hadn't really heard of the company or it's planes since.. I wonder if there is any relationships there...

Jac - I've not been much for the notion of leaving American soil ever since I got home from the service. However. With literally weeks now of sub freezing and many days of sub zero-f weather, I am giving consideration to other locales - yours being one of them...

Nice website...

Back when I lived in the Dallas TX area there was a company building kits/replicas at 3/4 scale I believe of the P51D that used the SBC as a powerplant. I believe the owner of the company was killed in the crash of one of their creations... Hadn't really heard of the company or it's planes since.. I wonder if there is any relationships there...

Randy-- Its a case of making hay while the sun shines-- ask me the same question in 6/7 month's time & I would probably want to be in the Northern Hemisphere somewhere.

The Thunder always had a 12 cylinder Falconer engine ( Ryan Falconer was one of the Engine Men @ Shelby back in the Cobra days ). IIRC the Prop reduction unit was designed
by BJ Schramm (sp?) who was also involved with the Rotorway & other small kit helicopters. I know of two fatals in the Thunder ( there may be others since ) one was the company demo in which the company test/demo pilot & prospective purchaser died & then another during or shortly after a flypast @ an airshow. While based on the Chev dimensionally the engine was a 'new' build of crank-heads-block that utilised off the shelf parts for chevys such as pistons/rods/bearings/valves/pushrods etc ( although most parts were aftermart such as Carrillo- Bryant crank etc.

There were several other kits/plans etc available for P51 including one composite version that used a SBC powerplant ( the name escapes me at moment ), the instance you mention could have been one of those. Its a bit like the Kit / Replica Car industry , If one crashs or makes the headline it tends to leach on to everyone, wheras if your cruising down the freeway in your favourite people mover & kill yourself it barely makes the evening news!

For my money Jim Stewarts all metal S-51D was closer to the real thing. :)

About 10 years ago I went to Pompano airport where he kept his Mooney. There were a couple guys in the adjacent hangar building an S-51. It was gorgeous, their work was flawless, and they were really nice guys. My father and I had spent a lot of time hanging around with homebuilders. Anyway, a year or so later I was again at Pompano and noticed the S-51 wasn't there. I asked my Dad if they finished it and he told me yeah, they finished it, and crashed it. Dead.

I love airplanes and everything that EAA stands for, but most of these warbird replicas and the super-high-performance homebuilts are simply deathtraps IMO.

Back