US Air Force C130

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
US Air Force C-130

Even if you weren't in the service you can appreciate this one.

A US Air Force C-130 was scheduled to leave Thule Air Base, Greenland, at midnight. During the pilot's preflight check, he discovers that the latrine holding tank is still full from the last flight. So a message is sent to the base and an airman who was off duty is called out to take care of it.

The young man finally gets to the air base and makes his way to the aircraft only to find that the latrine pumptruck has been left outdoors and is frozen solid, so he must find another one in the hangar, which takes even more time. He returns to the aircraft and is less than enthusiastic about what he has to do. Nevertheless, he goes about the pumping job deliberately and carefully (and slowly) so as not to risk criticism later.
< B>
As he's leaving the plane, the pilot stops him and says, 'Son, your attitude and performance has caused this flight to be late and I'm going to personally see to it that you are not just reprimanded but punished.' Shivering in the cold, his task finished, he takes a deep breath, stands tall and says, 'Sir, with all due respect, I'm not your son; I'm an Airman in the United States Air Force. I've been in Thule, Greenland, for 11 months without any leave, and reindeers' asses are beginning to look pretty good to me. I have one stripe; it's 2:30 in the morning, the temperature is 40 degrees below zero, and my job here is to pump shit out of an aircraft. Now, just exactly what form of punishment did you have in mind?'

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Perfect timing Brian, thanks!

I've just forwarded it to my son who's freezing his *ss off guarding aircraft at Tinker in OK City, OK.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I LOVED IT!!!!

Reminds me of some of the retorts to doing things not quite to regulations years ago..

What are they gonna do?

Draft me, put a plastic rifle in my hands, dump me in a rice paddy in Vietnam?

Love the C-130 ! I've had many hours flying in a C-130HC out over the Atlantic in the Bermuda Triangle. We never took a dump on the plane because we would have to pump it out. It took some planning ahead!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I have a buddy who's a FCO on an AC130 and takes frequent trips to the middle east for a few months at a time. Says he loves it. LOL Lots of firepower hanging out the left side of that aircraft...

Can't say that I don't like the aircraft as it always got me there but every one I flew on either had an engine fire or failure and came in on 3. Before you post, I am aware this plane has a great safety record and the odds of this happening are like winning the lottery but it's my true experience.It only bothered me once when the fire would not go out(finally did) as it flies well on 3. The one that really had me worried was having one smoke out on a C-7 Caribou (like a 130 but smaller and a twin) in the mountains over Ahn Khe - had to thread it through the pass. My favorite was the little C123 with jet assist for short field use. A.J.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My brother works for Safair the company that has the largest number of Civil Hercs in the world and only bigger operator is the US forces.

They end up doing all the UN stuff - dropping aid to famine victims, earthquake victims etc.

Uganda famine a few years back they would do one out landing full of aid and one return (empty) and then have to change all tyres as they ere landing on gravel / rocks / roads that were so bad but could not be i,proved as the humans were unable to clear / make the area better due to stavation.

Angola aid was air dropped and they found ou how little wing was needed for the trip home after having it blown away by some ungrateful freedom fighter!

Also done a few humane runs like pulling the Doctor of Antartica who diagnosed herself with breast cancer just before the weather was to close in for 6 months - flew to Brazil then Chile before heading south for an expected 5 hour weather window - landed, fuelled - they carried their fuel in the belly for the flight out, loaded all with the engines still running as the temp was so low they would not restart. Then flew everypone out as regulations said they could not stay without a doctor present!

They also do all the oil company anti pollution stuff worldwide.

And for those that followed the Paris Dakar were the support aircraft for thar for a number of years - needed a D check after each due to sandblasting.

Still the strangest one was when they got a contract to move an oil rig across Canada. The oil company had worked out that to dismantle it and truck / rail it would take XXX months and if they flew it across would save x months and $$$$$ so they moved an oil rig!

Loads of stories about this brilliant aircraft.

Ian

ahh the herc, fond memories
- D checks on super herc for northwest territorial
- armour for brazil and canada on the H
- armour for USMC J models

incredible ship!

DSC00657.jpg

hanger full of hercs.jpg

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
My brother works for Safair the company that has the largest number of Civil Hercs in the world and only bigger operator is the US forces.

They end up doing all the UN stuff - dropping aid to famine victims, earthquake victims etc.

Been there - done that! Worked with the Safir guys in Kenya and Somalia! Very interesting bunch!! By the way - have a friend here in Charleston, SC who has landed C-130's on aircraft carriers!! :shocked: No BS!!

The short field capabilities of a C-130 must be seen to be believed.

Check out this nutcase, who lands and takes off from the deck of the U.S.S. Forrestal.

Note that he went off from the waist, and didn't use the full deck length to get airborne. Granted, he had some "air" coming over the deck, but still an amazing feat of flying in such a big airplane without a tailhook. Gotta love those reversible pitch props!

The pucker factor must have been enormous!

YouTube - C-130 carrier landing

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:
Back