U.S. Airways Crash

Guys,

Would like to hear from the pilots perspective comments on that incredible job Mr. Sullenberger did last night.

Seemed unbelievable !!

Best

Dom

The crew did an amazing job. To land an A320 airliner in the water and it stay intact enough to remain afloat is just incredible.

Just goes to show what a sturdy bit of kit the 320 is.

Almost unheard of...Thank god they pulled it off. Now I'll listen more carefully when the attendant says " In the event of a water landing..." :uneasy:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Guys,
the pilot did a fantastic job and played a pivotal part in saving the lives of those passengers, a hero for sure. But, if the initial comments are correct, the plane was brought down by bird strikes, if so there are some important questions to be answered here. I for one wouldn't expect to be playing Russian Roulette with flocks of geese on take off, the pilot and passengers didn't need to be put in that position, and the idea that its all ok if it was a bird strike doesn't wash with me. What do you guys think?

regards
Dave

I would just hate to run into a flock of Canadian geese in anything! I believe some jet engines are tested for bird strikes by throwing frozen turkeys into them. The small bones in the birds wreak havoc on compressor blades for sure. Some things are simply unavoidable, but the pilot performed well in this case. Lucky!

You play Russian Roulette with birds every time you fly. The odds are statistically heavily weighted in your favor. If you are at all concerned about birdstrikes - then by all means never fly. I have hit a bird or two in my plane. I even have a friend who hit a bird with his motorcycle.

Just like you play Russian Roulette with humans, deer or other animals when you drive...

Mike,
I was hit in the chest on a bike while going 85+ MPH by a small bird, neatly knocked me out and I still don't know how I kept it between the ditches...

I agree Dave but unfortunately there will be a cry from the Green crowd for harrasing the birds if they use greater measures to disburse them

I work for the FAA in Flight Inspection. We have a few bird strikes every year on our small fleet of AC. I have been on final to Wake Island on numerous occasions when we were waved off due to the numerous goony birds they have there. Bird strikes happen all the time, I'll chalk this one up to crew skill.

Terrific job by the pilot. If you can walk away from it (or swim away?) it is a landing they say. The Airbus 320 has fly by wire controls - for how long would they be effective with all engines out? I console myself with the thought that they must have thought of that!

Chris

Terrific job by the pilot. If you can walk away from it (or swim away?) it is a landing they say. The Airbus 320 has fly by wire controls - for how long would they be effective with all engines out? I console myself with the thought that they must have thought of that!

Chris

Depends on whether they had time to restart the APU or perhpas they hadn't shut it down yet. I have heard there is also a RAT (ram air turbine) that can be used but I have no idea minimum airspeed needed for that to function or if all planes have it. I am sure one of our resident pilots will be able to comment on this though.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Actualy they are "Canada Geese", there is no "Canadian Goose"...small point but we live with enough of the crap machines to know.

The APU should not have shut down as fuel was not the issue, unlike the "Gimly Glider" of a few years back............

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Yeah,
but at least two of them were just plain 'goosed'.
and there you go Rick, I thought the stripes on your car were painted on:)

regards
Dave

Guys,

I should have mentioned that about 12 years ago, I was on the AA flight from Birmingham to Chicago, and the inbound flight hit a Canada goose on one of the engine cowls, and sucked the bird into the engine.

AA sent for a special machine (located in Manchester) and ran the machine through the engine, apparantly to see if any component was damaged.

On takeoff, we spent more time than I remember on the runway (normally a transatlantic flight is off the ground in 35 - 40 seconds) and this seemed to be forever.

Anyway, we got off OK, gained altitude slowly, and as the crew was at their time limit, AA flew is to JFK, where we changed for a domestic Chicago flight.

I am thankful that all went OK but can't imagine what a great job Sullenberger did !!

Best
Dom

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
That poor guy was flocked! :)
I have had a coyote two times run in front of me just before flare and once a goat was on the runway. A couple times in Homestead FL in my old citation we hit those ground owls that crap all over your plane at night. Put a couple dents in the leading edge. I know there are a lot of pilots on this forum, we should start a new thread of close calls (out of pilots control) just to see who has the biggest set and made the biggest mess in there pants.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fantastic flying, any one you can walk away from (or swim) is a good one.
Out west of here it is quite normal for bush pilots to do a low pass or two, to clear the runway of Kangaroos, scrub bulls and other assorted Fauna.
Of course in Africa it can be critical see pic.

Attachments

• lionplane_small.jpg
    lionplane_small.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Hello Gentleman, there is a question.

The airplane is full of kerosen by departure.
Do the pilot ( He made a super job!!! ) empty the tanks before watering??? If yes are 3 minutes
enough??

It was a discussion while breaktime this morning...

Thanks in advance

Mike S

Back