Snow in the UK - everything stops.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
unfortunately - mine is in essex wire colours - a white car in snow.....

I would have to find it first and I think it would run under the snow :D

Attachments

• P1310015.jpg
    P1310015.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 300
  • P1310016.jpg
    P1310016.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 274

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes
Schools closed
Trains cancelled
No London Busses at all
All this for about 6" of snow

How do Scandanavia and Canada manage?

Just the Poms are not able to be prepared - even though this has been predicted for over a week!

Ian

Just took me three bloody hours to get to white city (BBC) from my home in Upminster. It'd usually be a 1hr 15 min journey by train/tube. Almost every single bloody tube was delayed or cancelled...........THEY RUN UNDER-BLOODY-GROUND!!!!!! TRHERE'S NO F**IN' SNOW UNDERGROUND!!!!!!!
Sorry rant over.

Simon

Keith

That's a bit unfair Ian. I grew up with blizzards and severe snowstorms in the UK with snow lasting sometimes up to 3 months and we got by because it was something we knew was going to happen and we all had experience of it. Plus, there was no where near the amount of traffic to clog up the back roads.

Even now, for example, many public buildings in the UK don't have air conditioning because fiscal prudence would tell you that it's not necessary for only 2 months in the year and if snow falls for 24 hours once every 5 years, why waste money planning or designing mass transit systems for an event which may never (and usually doesn't) happen?

Stop bashing us! We've had enough from Brown & Co. and from everyone else who won all the wars for the last 100 years because were so bloody incompetent! Actually, it ain't my fault or anyone else I know.

You could always go back to God's Country mate...I bet things are running pretty well, there :laugh:

Keith

Just took me three bloody hours to get to white city (BBC) from my home in Upminster. It'd usually be a 1hr 15 min journey by train/tube. Almost every single bloody tube was delayed or cancelled...........THEY RUN UNDER-BLOODY-GROUND!!!!!! TRHERE'S NO F**IN' SNOW UNDERGROUND!!!!!!!
Sorry rant over.

Simon

Every line except the Victoria line has a significant amount of above ground sections. Third rail doesn't work with snow on it.

You guys,
Six inches of snow and the UK is shut down. I bet the guys on this site that live here, upstate NewYork and the Northern Midwest are snickering. We usually get up a little earlier. We don't let the transportation drivers leave until there replacements show up either. I will post some pictures of my front yard to show how much snow we have had.
Dave

the same down here in Italy.
Lucky me Monday is closing half day for shops...so I look outside my windows, saw canadian scenery...made some piss..return to bed..my girl there,nice morning F... ,..and now a cup of good italian coffee.... isnt so bad life, isnt it?HAHA..

Yes
Schools closed
Trains cancelled
No London Busses at all
All this for about 6" of snow

How do Scandanavia and Canada manage?

Just the Poms are not able to be prepared - even though this has been predicted for over a week!

Ian

We usually managed, somehow...

One inch of snow and headlines screams "winter surpriced drivers" or "slippery road caused serious accident". Every winter. But it`s never drivers fault :idea:
Here rains first snow every year in November.
Few degrees below zero (cels), 10"+ snow, studded tyres, 4 wheel drive turbo = ahhh :thumbsup:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
That's a bit unfair Ian. I grew up with blizzards and severe snowstorms in the UK with snow lasting sometimes up to 3 months and we got by because it was something we knew was going to happen and we all had experience of it. Plus, there was no where near the amount of traffic to clog up the back roads.

Even now, for example, many public buildings in the UK don't have air conditioning because fiscal prudence would tell you that it's not necessary for only 2 months in the year and if snow falls for 24 hours once every 5 years, why waste money planning or designing mass transit systems for an event which may never (and usually doesn't) happen?

Stop bashing us! We've had enough from Brown & Co. and from everyone else who won all the wars for the last 100 years because were so bloody incompetent! Actually, it ain't my fault or anyone else I know.

You could always go back to God's Country mate...I bet things are running pretty well, there :laugh:

Here here Keith !
Aye ! ~ when I was a lad I walked through blizzards, four miles to school with nothing but a pair of flip-flops on my feet and a newspaper under my string vest to keep the wind out, and it did me good.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Here's the view from my kitchen window today, this is the first dusting of snow I have seen here since I bought the Hampshire house in twenty-odd years (I am a contractor so always made it to work).

Attachments

• Garden Feb 09.jpg
    Garden Feb 09.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 233

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Not everything stops... I see my fiance Maxine (who happened to have this week off) has been busy at home:-

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 250
Guys,
Here are a few pics. We had some melt yesterday. You tell the hight by my Rodeo parked in the driveway. Jimmy you left out the part how it was uphill both ways.
Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0421.jpg
    IMGP0421.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 246
  • IMGP0422.jpg
    IMGP0422.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 230

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
I worked in Mississauga during the winter a few years ago. My goodness, it was cold there, so you have my respect.

This morning, I watched my English neighbour who is unaccustomed to this climate, drive up the hill in his wife's motor.
Well he got up there alright, but the kiddymobile then slid backwards down into his drive and through his closed garage doors.

Please do not eat the yellow snow on my doorstep.

Every line except the Victoria line has a significant amount of above ground sections. Third rail doesn't work with snow on it.

HHHMMMMM, Central line is not even running on the above ground sections, just in the tunnels. There's usually 1 min between trains (and they are rammed) today it was 20 mins between trains

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

I know Keith

Tongue in cheak but I remember 18 years ago when the Government shouted about the wrong kind of smow! There was about the same snow fall as we had last night and everything stopped for 3 days!

I actually made it 1/2 way to work when my boss phoned and said they had decided to close the office for the day - He lives about 1/2 mile from the office and gave up at his front door! I was driving the 12 miles there and had done about 6 (never more than 18mph on the Citroen digital speedo)

I actually thought it was funny watching people skidding in their "hatches" and immediately brake lights on and more corrections. Can they not feel what is happening in their car / learn't how to correct a skid? Skid pan training should be mandatory for all people passing their test!

Anyway I got home and my Daughter was chuffed as school was cancelled
She made a Snow Elephant!

What will happen tomorrow when another 4 - 6 inches of snow falls tonight and the melting stuff from today freezes?

Still some beautiful scenes today!

Ian

Attachments

• DSCF2097.jpg
    DSCF2097.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCF2093.jpg
    DSCF2093.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 209

Keith

I think that proves a point. No-one knows how to drive on ice or snow anymore because there never is any for any length of time. When I first passed my test in the early '60's one of the first things I bought for the car was a set of snow chains, and you couldn't go too far before you heard the characteristic drumming noise of a car with chains.

I also remember the "wrong kind of snow" story, but it was perfectly true! The "snow" was actually fine powdery crystals, not like snow at all, and it penetrated the filters for the train traction motors and burnt out the armatures. I believe they modified the traction motors at enormous cost but the freak "snow" never materialised again.

One of the penalties for living in a country with such a mild climate is a few hours/days of chaos. It's the law!

Keith

Here here Keith !
Aye ! ~ when I was a lad I walked through blizzards, four miles to school with nothing but a pair of flip-flops on my feet and a newspaper under my string vest to keep the wind out, and it did me good.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Flip flops and a string vest?

Luxury mate, sheer luxury :shocked:

Hi guys
Avice on local radio says travel only if journey is essential, well monday is my usual day off and I take my wife Irene out for breakfast at Newark 20 miles away,esential? hell yes, need to call at the motor parts factors for some more bits for James KVA build,Nottinghamshires road gritters working well!
cheers
John.

Back