Wildfires in Australia

My condolences and sympathies to those who have lost loved ones or homes in the recent spate of wildfires in Australia. A.J.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Truly terrifying stuff. I have some of my colleagues living in the area of Kinglake which has disappeared in the fires, still waiting to hear of their whereabouts....

Many carloads of people trying to escape got incinerated. So far 35+ dead...

Not good news, The smoke from these has now reached us in the South Island of NZ with the sun a blurred orange ball in the sky-- weird day here, very warm winds & sore eyes if outside for long--- and No, I didnt have a drink of Pom Juice last night!

I grew up in the area, used remember playing footy against Kinglake. Most of the kids I went to school with were in the CFA when I moved to QLD, Sad and terrifying news, can only hope for the weather to break and give them all a reprieve.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Now reporting 84+ dead and over 700 homes destroyed...

Donations can be made to Red Cross to help those affected...

Devastating stuff

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The south east of the country is in a fire ball --practically --deaths now over a 100 while the north east of the same country is in flood with crocodiles cruising the main streets of the towns affected.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tragic, my sister lives in the Yarra Valley and had to evacuate, their home is still standing and the family is unscathed so she is counting her blessings. 108 dead and still counting very sad.

Attachments

• 0902_cars_tk_g.jpg
    0902_cars_tk_g.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 0%2C%2C6476341%2C00.jpg
    0%2C%2C6476341%2C00.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 0%2C%2C6476313%2C00.jpg
    0%2C%2C6476313%2C00.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Not Good Pete,
Been watching it on the news. Fighting it is even harder, did it in my younger days. You would almost need a bomber squadron of CL-215's. Best you can do is pray for rain. Hope thing's work out for your sister.
Dave

found on the news.. These people should be shot!

Arsonists are being held responsible for starting some of the blazes, which are sweeping across an area of about 3,000 sq km across three states.
"These people are terrorists within our nation, they are the enemy within and we have to be increasingly vigilant about them," Mike Rann, the governor of South Australia state, said on Sunday.
At least 20 per cent of the fires in South Australia state were started by arsonists and another 20 per cent were the result of "stupidity or negligence," Rann said.
Arsonists were also relighting fires that had been brought under control, a fire authority official in Victoria said.
"These people are terrorists within our nation, they are the enemy within and we have to be increasingly vigilant about them," Mike Rann, the governor of South Australia state, said on Sunday.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto they should be shot... It is impossible for me to come to grips with the mentality of a person who deliberately lights fires.

Dave thanks, Sis is fine.

Am currently looking after the neighbour's cat. He's a helicopter pilot (been gone since Thursday) and she's an HR type who does some volunteer trauma counselling, who left yesterday.

I doubt all the aircraft ever made would have helped much on Saturday, simply brutal conditions. Melbourne's temperature peaked at 46.4C (115.5f), an all time record. Add winds over 50Kt at times and the fact that the place has been baked dry for over a month and it's amazing in some respects that it didn't reach the sea.

It's not over yet, but the worst should have passed. To top it off, in the north, 64% of Queensland is flood affected.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Am currently looking after the neighbour's cat. He's a helicopter pilot (been gone since Thursday) and she's an HR type who does some volunteer trauma counselling, who left yesterday.

I doubt all the aircraft ever made would have helped much on Saturday, simply brutal conditions. Melbourne's temperature peaked at 46.4C (115.5f), an all time record. Add winds over 50Kt at times and the fact that the place has been baked dry for over a month and it's amazing in some respects that it didn't reach the sea.

It's not over yet, but the worst should have passed. To top it off, in the north, 64% of Queensland is flood affected.

Maybe Kevin Rudd could use some of his (sorry our) $40 Billion to pipe some of that water up North down to the South? Offering only $2million to help those who have lost everything in the fires is almost insulting.

The official death toll is now 126, which makes it Australia's worst natural disaster. Assuming the fire was not deliberately lit.

Last edited:
Firstly, apologies to those in the rest of the world who will have no idea of what the following paragraphs mean;

Pete,

I hope it's a start, rather than an end.

I've just discovered that aircrew must be stood down for 2 weeks after donating blood. Fortunately the girls in the office are all heading to the blood bank this afternoon.

As for the $40billion, the missus wants to take our $1900 and spend it in Kinglake and Marysville.

128 now, with many more to come.

This is such a terrible tragedy. I'm just speechless.

Let's hope the worse is over.

Yeah and it's flooding up north. Nature can be very cruel sometimes.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I am watching this disaster unfold in horror - I hope that all my Australian friends are safe.

You are in my thoughts.

These fires were all over the news here in the northeast corner of the USA this morning. Wish we could ship some of our snow and cold down to you.

The interviews with survivors were harrowing. Hope you all make it through ok.

I'd like to know if anyone would join me in raising some money to help the affected people who are now homeless. I'm not a megabucks guy but maybe even a small amount from each of us who can contribute would be appreciated.Is there someone in the area who would volunteer to co-ordinate the funds or an organization that actually gets most of the money to the victims that we could send something to? Maybe in the name of our common interest?
A.J.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Al, I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking along the lines of sending money to Pete so he can give it to a family/families directly affected without the bureaucratic red tape BS.

My thoughts and prayers for all affected and their families.

Back