How does this guy keep it on the road?

Just your average Kiwi driver,:) most of our backroads are about that wide, & Rod won more than a few NZ rallys in Mazda Rotaries in virtually every type / model , great training ground, If you spin up big time in NZ your off the road--- in the USA it just means a fast lane change!!!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Doesn't sound like a Diesel but it sure smokes like one!!!

He almost couldn't get'er whoa'd up in time to keep from hitting that SUV just putting along at the end....

it says its a 2.0L turbo, must have huge lag and then insane power as the turbos spool. I guess he really doesn't keep it on the road to well, but its still amazing how he can keep the thing together.

I spoke to Rod at FOS last year, really nice down to earth bloke and happy to talk about the spec of the car to interested onlookers.

Underneath there is a spaceframe with what started life as a 4-pot Toyota Celica motor although looking at it you'd not recognise it.

Incredibly skilled driver who often sets the time to beat against exotic F1 / Le Mans machinery and is nearly always on the podium at Goodwood.

Let's also not forget that he gets this car pretty much out of 'mothballs' to do these timed demonstration runs so it's amazing it stays together and performs so well. He was complaining that it was a tad rich with a miss-fire if I recall correctly which makes it even more incredible in my eyes..

If you ever get a chance to see him run - don't miss it! :thumbsup:

I've got a bunch of pics of the car somewhere, if anyone is interested I'll dig them out and post a few.

Rod was the guy driving the red Ford GT, first shown on TV for the Super Bowl add . I think in 2004. I believe the run was shot at Thunderhill in northern CA . A great driver and fun to watch him hang it all out!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
"Running a bit rich" is a bit of an understatement. He got very twitchy under brakes at the end trying not to run up the arse of the 4wd.
Fun vid thanks for posting.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Did better then the Aston Martin driver the year I was there he touched the grass as was done. I also thought the same thing, Diesel Tune, nice.

Cool stuff.

Sandy

Back