Nuke subs collide

I see in the news that HMS Vanguard and a French boat 'Le Triumphant' got into a little bumper cars game :eek:) Any bets they were playing 'grab ass'? It was reported that the French sonar bubble in the nose got dinged, implying it was behind the Brit. and maybe got a 'brake check'?
Any comments from our erstwhile contributors in the Sceptered Isle, or possibly even better, from the antipodes? :eek:)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
maybe got a 'brake check'?

In a French accent, I can hear the sonar operators screams - "Doppler high...... doppler same ..... Doppler low ..... doppler same DOPPLER HIGH .....HIGHER ...
MERDE ZEUT ALOR.....LES F-----ING ANGLAIS"
and the helm - "Oh F--k"

My guess is that they were playing the age-old submariner training game of cat and mouse. You use passive sonar to try to "hear" where your target is. This, of course, is difficult with all the stealth technology being employed by the target. You don't use active sonar because that would obviously give away your location as well. My guess is that the french probably knew they were tracking a "friendly" and, the brits sensed they had a tail and decided to pull a "crazy ivan."

It's interesting that in 2009 we're still playing the same games as the WWII submariners even though we have infinitely more technology at work.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
When I heard this announced on the radio, they said that the two subs were on seperate exercises.

Dave

On parle français ici ???? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

as far as i know the front end (sonar bulb) of the french boat and the side of the vanguard had been damaged.

Is it because the english are driving on the bad side of the street (and they do the same under the sea) ??? :thinking:

(just kidding:chug:)

Keith

On parle français ici ???? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

as far as i know the front end (sonar bulb) of the french boat and the side of the vanguard had been damaged.

Is it because the english are driving on the bad side of the street (and they do the same under the sea) ??? :thinking:

(just kidding:chug:)

Good answer! :thumbsup:

Mais non, il est vous qui conduit votre voiture sur le côté faux de la rue mon ami!
:thinking2:

the strange thing is that these are two missile boats (boomers) which usually want to hide, not play bumper cars. I can understand a collision between a boomer and a boomer-hunter, as the hunter is always looking for the boomer. But between two boomers?

From what I heard on the radio the French sub didn't know it had hit another sub until returning back to base.

Have we checked (or just assumed) the navy personnel steering these subs were men?

Back