Sheared off bolt?

How many times have you run into the problem of shearing the headf off a bolt? I recently purchased a 220 Mig welder for under $500 including shipping, and I am beginning to improve my skills(very rapidly). On searching videos for that purpose I ran across a video seeries that will help anyone who runs into this particular problem, or just wants to learn. Great series of videos for anyone staring out with Mig welding. I've done Tig, Stick, and Gas welding, but never Mig. If I had learned this early on I would be doing it almost all the time. Very simple technique compared to any other. Easily learned and result are great. Could have saved myself a lot of money in the past had I known Mig welding.

Removing a Broken Stud for MIG Welding | Expert Village Videos

Bill

Hmmm... any other welding would do the same thing. In fact, I personally would rather do it with a TIG simply because you have more control.

:huh:

By the way, he notes that heating it up would help. Not so much if you actually had a bolt sheared off in a larger item like a block. You would want to heat the block, not the sheared off bolt. The heat would definitely help with the seizure that would have caused this, but you want the surrounding metal to expand, not the bolt...

Back