Err. Don't take your collectible to France.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 650px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #1c3b75" bgColor=#1c3b75 colSpan=3 height=7></TD><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=4></TD><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; WIDTH: 448px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=448><TABLE id=content_LETTER.BLOCK35 hideFocus tabIndex=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" align=left styleclass="style_MainText">French Government Seizes Car from U.S. Collector

It's enough to make you start eating Freedom Fries again. The French government has seized a [URL="http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102462111369&e=001UhshFyGibFKWHIyDi8mcYIs1VgSml67kbwXZl3EGYJSoGlZBYsvT21j2-6cAvK3JE7ZMN7Dnem6LLkOjrtDLWQv4WsjfZlwAyNTDu1WSGKczJblVQFtETZXIgj-hnOucl5NOGw9DrigqFFd4PlISHAewcZhb3YWy"]1919 Turcat-Mery sport torpedo from SCMer and well-known Northwest collector Charles Morse, claiming it is a national treasure that was illegally shipped out of the country in 2004. Morse bought it from a dealer in Holland.[/URL]

The car originally belonged to the Duc de Montpensier, a descendant of the Bourbon kings, whose estate was declared by the French government in 1991 to be a national treasure. However, records indicate the car was shipped to Holland in 2004 and then to Seattle. While in the U.S. it won its class at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance and [URL="http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102462111369&e=001UhshFyGibFKWHIyDi8mcYIs1VgSml67kbwXZl3EGYJSoGlZBYsvT21j2-6cAvK3JE7ZMN7Dnem6LLkOjrtDLWQv4WsjfZlwAyNTDu1WSGKczJblVQFtETZXIgj-hnOucl5NOGw9DrigqFFd4PlISHAewcZhb3YWy"]was to have been sold at auction last August
. Read more here and here.
[/URL]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ooooooo.... Now THAT would be a tough hill to climb getting that one back.....

I read it was sold in 97 also. I guess it's like buying the Brooklyn bridge. It's nice the French Government is going to pay for it's return,
Dave

I guess that's not the sort of thing that shows up on a Carfax report unfortunately....

"This car has a mileage irregularity"
"This car has a salvage title"
"This car is registered as a French national treasure"

Last edited:
I think each country try to keep his national treasure....

today, an auction in france (christie's) try to sell some chinese art....
(former owner where famous Pierre Berger / Yves Saint Laurent)

China has bloqued the auction to get them back....

Back