Barking Mad

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:
<B>The Australian Goverment spends taxpayers money trying to stop cows farting. God help us how far can this global warming B/S go?

Govt targets livestock methane emissions<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=1><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Livestock are the third largest source of carbon emissions in <
</st1:country-region>Australia, with a beef cow grazing in northern <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> believed to produce 1,500 kilograms of carbon per year.<o:p></o:p>

Federal Agriculture Minister Tony <st1:personName w:st="on">Bur</st1:personName>ke on Wednesday unveiled a $26.8 million program in support of 18 projects over four years as part of Labor's climate change research program.<o:p></o:p>
"Some of this goes to breeding options, some of it goes to better feed options, some of it goes to dealing with the bacteria in the stomach of the animal to try to reduce the amount of methane that then comes out of the mouth," Mr <st1:personName w:st="on">Bur</st1:personName>ke told ABC Television.<o:p></o:p>
He conceded the farming sector would need to bear increased transport and fertiliser costs, but said the alternative would cost <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> far more.<o:p></o:p>
"There is no cost-free method of dealing with this."<o:p></o:p>
The costs of doing nothing were "much, much greater

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Someone should tell Mr. Tony Burke that the methane isn't emitted from the cows' mouth!

However, in view of the fact that he must be a seasoned politician, I'm sure he was speaking from personal experience rather than a firm grasp of bovine anatomy :thumbsup: .

Doug

Pete,I've got a solution - just paint faces around the offending orifices and call them American politicians. Now,somebody go tell him about termites.

Malcolm

Supporter
Don't mock it UK guys, I know of someone who works for the UK government in this field (excuse the pun) and basically there is now a GM grass that if eaten by cows, reduces emissions! There is also a GM grass that stays green after it dies, which has far more appeal to the Britiush who are ever so proud of their garden lawns! But because it is GM, the grass goes nowhere.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Here is the US we've bred our cows so they don't fart. Problem solved...

There is always Beano...

If cows are third, why not address first and second?

"I fart in your general direction you k-niveling k-nights."

Sorry, couldn't resists. :)

Pete,
Ted Turner of CNN fame is raising Buffalo in Colorado. He says they are hardier than cattle and have a Lower Methane Footprint. I guy I worked with raised them also along with EMU's. The EMU's were lower on the pecking order.
Dave

Easy solution.....We are going to install colostomy bags on the herd, collect the gas and send the "fart bombs" on to politicians. They will know what to do with the contents......(well, okay, so the politicians don't know what to do)

Pete, I heard someplace that Aussie gov is going to have a "toilet tax" for every flush in the drought stricken part of Aussieland.....Is that true??

Back