Save the Vulcan!

Keith

The last flying Vulcan ever will be grounded for good this Friday unless more money is raised. It's been on the news tonight. The 60's Nuclear Bomber, probably one of the most beautiful planes ever designed, handled like a fighter and is an icon of the airways. I've sent some cash via the Trusts website here.

If you can help keep this work of art in the air please do so...

PS another member on here might be very pleased as well, as he is part of the crew!

Shhhh

Vulcan to the Sky Trust - Avro Vulcan Bomber XH558 - Vulcan To The Sky Trust

Last I heard was there were some engine problems. It missed the Goodwood Revival last year. The Trust was attempting to raise money then too. A very good cause.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Love this aircraft and always wanted to see her fly.
I have pledged cash to help, there is also a petition to sign up to.

Dave

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Wow, what a beautiful aircraft. Wish I was financially well enough off to pledge a donation. I hope some more people help out. That's a lot of surface area on those huuuuge wings!! Good lord! LOL

i'm also skint, but if i had spare money, this is where id'd go! took my mum to farnborough last year (only time she left our town last year, mobility's not her strong point) just to see the vulcan.
i know there's some people on this forum with spare cash (i've seen the build threads), so please help as i bet i'm not the only man on here that drew pics of a vulcan (along with some ferrari's, admitidly) as a child!!

I also love the Vulcan. As a young lad I built a free-flight model of one, with a few liberties to fit a pusher engine at the back. The model was quite large, with about a metre wingspan if I remember correctly. And I saw one of the originals when it visited NZ where I was living at the time. Absolutely beautiful!

Ian Clark

Supporter
I saw the Vulcan at an airshow in London Ontario, don't remember what year exactly, late sixties I guess. On the ground it's massive, hard to get your head around or appreciate the beauty of the beast.

It was a great show with lot's of the warbirds, acrobatics and military aircraft with something almost constantly in flight. A hot sunny summer day. Our American friends from Selfridge Air Force Base would fly in and our Armed Forces even found enough fuel for a Starfighter to do a flyby, more like a came out of no where - scream past the crowd at maybe 200ft of the deck at what? mach 1, that was impressive...

However, at the end of the day when the Vulcan had to head home, that is something I'll cherish forever. This monstorous delta winged bomber quite gracefully and without a lot of runway or speed, lifted herself into a air, banked right and was gone. The noise was unbelievable but the sight unforgetable.

Don't even get me going on the Arrow... Needless to say, I've pledged on the Vulcan.

Keith, very worthy/deserving piece of historical aviation importance that should be kept flying. I recommend you contact Paul Allen (yes, Paul Allen of microsoft fame) as he is a huge (translation: gives exten$ively) fan of aviation and aviation history. He actually has a historical flight museum of his own in the northwest USA. You'll find a contact email for him (his admin staff actually) via google.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith,
I met the crew in January and discussed the requirements for flying in 558 as the AEO
(Air Electronics Officer ) on air shows, practises and transits and my previous experience in the R.A.F. was enough to do this. I have since had second thoughts
based on the fact that no rear crew have ever successfully abandoned ship while the aeroplane was deemed to be 'low level' and 558 spends all of it's time doing low level air displays. My second thoughts were based on lengthy discussions firstly with ex R.A.F. crew, and secondly my wife who thought it was totally crazy in the first place.
I really would have loved to have done it, but it becomes a case of discretion is the better part of valour.
I hope 558 survives this current crisis and goes on to thrill everybody who sees it.
Dave M

Keith

Thanks for "outing" yourself there Dave - you shrinking violet you... :)

Sorry you won't be flying in it but I hope someone will! :thumbsup:

£340,000 to go and 3 days to get it.... :worried:

we had no oportunity to save the Concorde, saving the Vulcan is a must. My 3 year old just spent 10minutes sat on my lap watching YouTube videos of the Vulcan flying, ignoring the kiddies programs on the telly and his friends who were playing with his toys.

How could i not pledge!!!

An amazing plane. Back in 1978 we tragically had a Vulcan crash at the Glenview Naval Air Station just north of my office. As it was taking off for the Chicago Air and Water Show the crew started a wingover a bit too soon, the plane stalled and just fell out of the sky. It all happened at less than 500' I believe. A terrible loss.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE borderColor=black cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=black border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

Vulcan '09 Pledge Campaign
<-- TIME IS RUNNING OUT
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/pledge1.asp
Vulcan XH558 will be grounded forever, unless further funding of £1million is identified by early March. This funding will allow the project to pay its monthly expenses, clear debt and provide a stable financial footing for the future.
But why is your Vulcan so important?
In a word - EDUCATION!

In line with our motto "Honouring the Past, Inspiring the Future", we returned XH558 to display status for two educational reasons:

To teach Britain's youth about the pivotal role that Britain played in the Western World's defence at a time of political uncertainty and instability

To inspire our children and grandchildren to choose a career in Britain's design, engineering and scientific industries

Vulcan XH558 is not privately owned, but operated as a National Heritage Asset. She belongs to every man, woman and child in Britain and is an iconic and emotive example of Britain's pivotal position in World technology and foreign affairs.
'The Vulcan Effect' is a unique and powerful tool - without your immediate help it will be gone forever.

The Vulcan '09 Pledge Campaign will raise those funds so please sign up now (via the Pledge button) and play your part in securing the future of the world's only flying Vulcan. Your pledge will only be called upon when we are confident of reaching the target.
Please help us weather this economic Perfect Storm; we are working on a new business model aimed at avoiding this situation arising again next year.
Please remember that even a relatively small monthly pledge is a significant help - supporters have already pledged in excess of £410,000, with a significant proportion coming from the intensive efforts of members of the Vulcan to the Sky Club.
Thanks to all who are intent on keeping XH558 flying and thrilling through 2009.
<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/JaBajcF9toE&hl=en&fs=1 width=480 height=295 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>
To Make A Pledge Click Here

Robert Pleming
24th February 2009 <HR style="LEFT: 5px; TOP: 2523px">

The Following link explores the life and times of the Vulcan and explains how we got here.
Life and Times of the Avro Vulcan
<HR>
Please confirm now that you want XH558 to fly in 2009, by adding your name to this petition to the Prime Minister:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/vulcan-XH558/

On 17th February, there were 14,747 signatures.
We need about 4,000 more to make it into the current "Top 5"

<HR>

Message from the Chief Executive, VTST,
2nd February 2009

Today, the amount of money raised through our "Vulcan '09 Pledge Campaign" stands at over £244,000, pledged by more than 2200 people, making the average pledge worth over £100.
This achievement, in only eight weeks spanning the Christmas break, at a time when economic conditions could hardly be worse, has exceeded all expectations; a huge thank-you is due to all who have made pledges.
Added to this are various amounts raised through the current Raffle, sponsorship and other sources, and so I'm able to let you know that the running total of money identified in our current campaign stands at nearly £500,000
But none of this has yet been converted into cash, because we are still significantly short of our £1million goal for keeping XH558 flying though 2009.
We are therefore broadening and intensifying our campaign, which will continue to run through the month of February.
For example, we are seeking out new supporters in other interest groups: VTST was sponsored to attend the recent AutoSport International show at the NEC, Birmingham, where we made new friends amongst thousands of autosport enthusiasts.
To raise the visibility of our campaign, members of the Vulcan to the Sky Club are organizing a "Vulcan Scramble" starting on Sunday 22nd February, in which a small team will endeavour to visit all fifteen remaining Vulcans around the UK in just 24 hours. This promises to be an exciting, but hopefully incident-free, event!
Given that February and March are months free of the burden of Council Tax, we're hoping that we might benefit from supporters giving us a small proportion of that saving, in the way of a pledge or donation!
February is the critical month for us, because we need to commit to the engineering work required to ensure XH558 is flying again by the end of April. This is primarily the 8-week Winter Service under the supervision of Marshall Aerospace, but also includes other mandatory Permit-to-Fly activities such as the Structural Sampling Programme.
I'll let everyone know further news as the month proceeds, but in the meantime we all need to urgently focus on ensuring that XH558 has a future.
Robert Pleming

<HR style="LEFT: 5px; TOP: 2523px">

</SPAN>
Blades2.jpg

The Blades Aerobatic Team In Formation With XH558 -
You Could Be In One Of These Aircraft Alongside XH558

<HR>
</SPAN>​
<TD vAlign=top>http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

homepage_image.jpg

Vulcan To The Sky Trust - Mission Statement
To preserve and protect AVRO Vulcan G-VLCN ( XH558), to return her to full working order for the benefit of the public
To demonstrate and display the aircraft at public events and to conserve her as a heritage asset in perpetuity.
To advance the education of the general public, and also specifically engineers and aviators, in the AVRO Vulcan, her provenance; historical and social context; design technologies; operational and maintenance processes and procedures; for the benefit of British heritage, historical and technical knowledge and conservation.
To assist in the conservation to full working order of other heritage aircraft of the 20th century

Keith

Nearly there! :thumbsup:

Pledged £756,300

Left to Go £243, 700 in 2 days...

One more heave !!!!!

My stance on this is that GB had a vibrant and technologically advanced aircraft industry before it was 'assasinated' by politicians of all hues in the 50's 60's and 70's. Not attempting to be Jingoistic here, but are we to go down in history as a bunch of bankers (sic)?

This heritage needs to be preserved, not just for us here in the UK but for all admirers of military mechanical art.... and a reminder that once upon a time......... we...... hauled ass...... :veryangry:

Keith

Wow! What a day!

1 day and 21 hours remaining and we're at:

£810,000 :thumbsup:

£190,000 to go....

And counting........

Keith

£160,000.. 1 day and 7 hours

It's getting tight guys....:worried:

We can't stop now..

C'mon..:shout:

Keith

Thanks Brian....

Jeez! £68,000 to go. What a result! :shocked:

But we're not there quite yet...

Keith

Done it!

With less than £50K to go, 2 sponsors including our very own Judd Power (Engine Developments) have stepped in to guarantee continuity of the project for 1 month whilst the pledges are collected.

Awesome response thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

There's a good chance we will see it flying this year as well....

There's also a Downing St petition on the go with 20,000 names attached to it although quite why any Govt that occupies that particular dwelling is going to contribute to a cause they single handedly vandalised over the past 40 years (I'm talking about the British Aero Industry) escapes me. They are beyond any caring it seems to me...

Now known as the People's Vulcan! :)

Back