Uh oh, daughter has decided on a car...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
My daughter is enthralled by the book series Twilight. It seems that one of the characters has herself a yellow Porsche. Now my daughter wants a yellow Porsche as her car. This is cool, but I had to break out some pictures to see which one she wants. I think I have made a pretty big impression on her as this is what she wants...

Oppenheimer%20935-03.jpg

Yes, my now 13 year old step-daughter wants US to build a 935 together as her first car! It's going to be Ford Chrome Yellow with black accents. (She saw a 1999 Mustang driving down the road and said, "That's the color my Porsche is gonna be, right?")

So now what I've done is started looking for a mid to late 70's Porsche 911 coupe. I hear the 1974 is the most desireable as it's one of the lightest made. I contacted GT Racing for their free catalog and had her look through it again to make sure this is what she wants, and it is. She's even circled the parts she wants on it. Pretty sweet. Anyway, does anyone here know anything about Porsche's? LOL

I have a feeling I'm going to be having a fun 3 years...

The changes I want to make is to add the 930 slant nose headlights to the front of the car. The headlights on the 935 are cool and all, but they're on the friggin ground. We're going to need street legal lights I believe. LOL As for the engine, I'm thinking STOCK 2.7. Don't want her to have too much power at the start. We can sure build up to it though.

Whatcha think?

Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I think you need to show her the Yellow SLC and tell her the truth - The SLC will kick Porsche butt! :)

Of course then you may never rescue the keys for your future SLC.... :D

Brian Hamilton

I think you need to show her the Yellow SLC and tell her the truth - The SLC will kick Porsche butt! :)

Of course then you may never rescue the keys for your future SLC.... :D

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that. I have always wanted to build a 935 from a 911. I figure, she'll get tired of it and then Daddy can take it off her hands. :thumbsup:

Plus, I have been seeing these cars on ebay for around $5k and the whole body ends up being just over $3k and a fully rebuilt engine & transaxle comes to about $5k from MotorMeister (they were very nice to email me back and call me about it and discuss options). I think I can do the whole thing for under $20k if we keep it pretty simple and don't go overboard. That's the key. Plus I need to find a pretty decent donor car to start with that I can just throw the body on, paint it, R&R the engine, and there we go.

Wait, can I get this straight? You're going to ACTUALLY buy and build this car for your daughter????

I have to say that that isn't something that you'd see here in Ireland! If you do this, you rock as a father!

If you want a 935 then you should buy a later 911 say '76 or '77. This way the body style is more similar. As far as color goes, go with Porsche's Signal yellow. It all really depends on the price range. You could get a 930 then basically call it done.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
My 25 year old daughter has always had a thing for the Porsche 550 Spyder.....even has one of those die-cast models sitting on her desk in her bedroom! I like them too, so, perhaps after daddy gets his project done, he'll do one for her??? Like you, I don't feel any need for a mondo motor build, she doesn't care if it's fast or not, just thinks they are the coolest looking car ever made.

I'm hoping she'll want to do this as a father-daughter project....if not, they are selling for a reasonable amount on the used market, so if not a project, perhaps a used one?

If it were me, I'd want the Subaru Boxer WRX motor in mine, but for her a VW is fine....

Doug

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that. I have always wanted to build a 935 from a 911. I figure, she'll get tired of it and then Daddy can take it off her hands. :thumbsup:
quote]

HA HA Brian..:D nice problem this.
I saw exactly the same situation with a pretty girl I know in Rimini.
The daddy was asked for the a special.....a mercedes 190 SL (a dream car..) and bought an original worthed 50.000 euros.
The girl drove it 3 times....and then returned happy to her mini cooper, and dad:D was sooooo happy..to have this "gift" back ihihihi...

Always have been a freak for such serious Porsches, the "whale" in Martini livery is a must (even more for fellows as me jerking every night thinking at HOW cool is that track named Nordschleife...)
I have saved somewhere all the websites selling the fiberglass conversion parts to fit a 935 body over a standard 911 coupè (my tip is to choose a less historic interesting car..maybe an SC from the late 70s...body panels are always the same)
this is the Zeemax:
Zeemax Porsche 935 conversion
they always loved the look of the Whale, and made several streetable versions ispired to theme.
If I found all the others will post theme..

For now, call the daughter and show her the 935 lapping at the ring.. ;)
YouTube - Porsche 935 @ Nürburgring

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
C'mon Brian, this is us you are talking to. Building it for your daughter indeed.:thumbsup:
That little white lie will make Wifey think you are a great guy and give you the go ahead and your daughter will think you are the coolest dad on earth.:heart:
But we know who is going to have all the fun don't we?
Very cunning mate I wish I'd thought of that.:chug:

Brian, the pre-'74 cars are considerably lighter than the post-'74 cars (not just because of the larger bumpers of post-'74 cars). However, most (probably all) of the slant nose kits are made for post-'74 cars.

I would recommend avoiding the 2.7L engine in the '74-'77 911s - it's not a good engine. That engine is notorious for pulling head studs quite easily. You're best off with either a 2.2L or 2.4L engine with webers (about 150hp) from a '69-'73 car or a later 3.0L engine from an SC ('78-'83) as these are better engines. The SC engine is particularly bullet proof (helpful with a teenage driver) and with the stock bosch injection runs about 185hp.

If you start with a post-'74 car and take off the bumpers and replace the front fenders with fiberglass 935-look parts you'll end up at about 2,500lbs w/o too many accessories such as AC and power windows/seats. 185hp is lots for a teenager in a 2,500lb car! Incidentally, teenagers tend to run into the car in front (following too close) - the 911 has great brakes and balance so not a bad car for them to have although an early 911 obviously doesn't have any airbags.

It'll be a fun project!

I agree with Cliff. I've had a lot of experience with 911's. By the late 70's the bodies are fully galvanised, which is great for longevity when you will be investing a lot of time/money in the project. Avoid 2.7 engines. By the 3.0litre (1978) you have an absolutely bulletproof engine, provided you fit the later 3.2 L hydraulic chain tensioners.
The 3.0 L cars (the 911 SC) and 3.2 L cars (the 911 Carrera) are extremely reliable, reasonably priced as they are quite common, and can form the basis of a very good project. You can rip out all the electric motors for windows, seats, etc. to save weight. However, they look a bit vintage and tall compared to a GT40.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Give a new, green driver a rear engined high-performace car....sounds like a good idea to me!

I had a friend in school who's doctor father bought a 356 cab. We took her out one night to "teach her how to drive a Porsche!!!" I was across the area behind the seats and my buddy driving, she was riding shotgun.

He booked into a 30 MPH corner about 25% too hot, lifted off the throttle and we oversteered across someones nice lawn. As his pucker factor went down and I started to breathe again, he told her (shaking and white as someone of Southern Italian extraction can get) "I just wanted to show what NOT to do when driving a Porsche!!!!"

We were never again allowed in the car.............................................

Brian Hamilton

Wow, I go home for a night and you guys post like crazy!! LOL

First off, ya got me. I have wanted to build a Porsche 935 for a while now. When she said she wanted to build a yellow Porsche, I instantly popped up a picture of a 935 and said, "We're gonna build you this!" She said it looked really awesome but wanted to look at some 911's as that's what the girl in the book had. Then she said she didn't like the "bug eyed lights" on the 911's and liked the 935 better. Talk about slight persuasion on my part. Hehe

As for the car, I don't really care if it's the lightest made. LOL I want it to last and I want it to be safe. There will be a cage installed in the car whether shit likes it or not. Not a full on race cage, but a decent one for strength and roll over protection. Yeah, I know they didn't have airbags, but she's got plenty of air in her head to help cushion her brain. LOL JK

Engine... What I'll probably do is just build or run whatever is in the car when I get it. I'm kind of hoping it's the 3.0L, I hear those things are indestructable monsters and from what you guys are saying, those rumors are true. No turbo for her, but when she gets tired of it, I'm going to boost the hell outta the thing. LOL

And lastly, yes I'm really going to do this, money permitting. I just need to sell some damn property. LOL Kelcie (daughter) is really excited about it and has lots of pictures saved on her computer that we both looked up for the car. She's telling all her friends, "Look, this is what me and Brian are gonna build!" She calls me by name since I'm her step-dad, but she calls me dad every now and again. It's cute.

Anyway, anyone happen to have an old Porsche sitting around or know where one is that would work for this build?

Hi Brian,
All the suggestions by the other forum members are great. I would only add that pre '74 cars are going to be expensive. The 74 - 77 model 911 would be a great place to start, as their value is not keeping up with the other cars, however you would want to change the motor. So, IMHO, the place to start would be with a 78 - 83 911SC. Good motors and transmissions, value is relatively low....Probably especially now in this economy...

Brian Hamilton

Yeah, I was thinking about a late 70's early 80's model. I'm finding them around $3k - $5k on Ebay. The only bad thing is they're all Targa's, Cabriolet's, or friggin sunroof cars. I want a friggin COUPE!! LOL Structural integrity damnit!!

On a sidenote:
Bodyparts for the original Kremer 935s were made by dp Zimmermann Motorsport:
About us

To get the correct 935 look of these cars, be aware that it´s not just about sticking a pair of flat nose fenders to the front and a huge wing to the back. Only on 2nd sight you may notice that modifications to the roofline and the A-pillars have to be made as well since the frontscreen had a a far shallower angle than a serial 911.

Best,
Marcus

It'll be tough to find a non-sunroof car. I think the sun roofs were standard equipment on cars imported to North America, and non-sunroof cars had to be special ordered.

Buy a sunroof car and weld it up!

r

Back