Interesting quote from the past

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inviting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves". Abraham Lincoln.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inviting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves". Abraham Lincoln.

Too bad those in power don't pay attention to relivant history...

Sorry! My source was in error. I still think it is a good quote no matter who said it given events of late.

Umm, not so sure, given the events of late.

Let's see, AIG was given how many dollars out of the taxpayers pockets? And how much
is going to become bonuses for certain AIG employees?

Ian

The house and senate should have term limits 4 years and out with no pension. The president should have the line item veto.

4 years is too short. Maybe 6 years for reps (3 terms) and 8 for Senate (2 terms) -
more in line with the President (2 terms or 10 years). Pension should be based upon
years/terms, and be realistic - I can get ~80% of my salary after 25 years, so maybe
a 3 - 4% per year - so a 2 term Senator would get ~25 - 30% of his salary as pension.
You could do it based upon a three year average so that marching through the House,
Senate and potentially Executive Branch would add.

Line item veto - NO WAY !!! No checks and balances there.

Ian

The way I see it though is that the longer the term the more corrupt these guys get. They get their pension and then go lobby for so called special interest. 6 years might be just long enough.

The way I see it though is that the longer the term the more corrupt these guys get. They get their pension and then go lobby for so called special interest. 6 years might be just long enough.

Don't forget, these guys work for you ... so, if after their first term, they're not doing
the job, vote 'em out. And, if it's really bad, recall them mid-term. Even if they survive
a recall, or struggle for re-election, they're days become numbered in the political world.

That's the problem, most of the constituency doesn't care until it's too late. The same
guys keep getting elected because the majority of the voters are either mostly happy
with their performance, are blind to the corruption (or benefiting from it), or just
don't care.

Ian

Ian, 80% after 25 years? Where do I sign up? Hope you get there my friend. I had the same goal but the company,Major Greed Inc., decided to dump those of us getting near pension eligible age in a 'technological layoff'. We went against it but the pro corporate labor arbitrator( close to 'traitor' isn't it?) went you know which way and there we were on the sidewalk at almost retirement age,with 10%,not 80.Put yourself in the position of a line worker who loses his pension and benefits after 25 years while the exec gets a 10 mil bonus for saving money for trashing the aforementioned benefits(this is not a defense of big 3 workers) by abrogating the contract. It's not hard to see why we need legislators with some 'stones' to fight things like the AIG abuses. You're on track with the limits but how about tying Congressional salaries to some relative indicator as well?

Last edited:
Actually, in my case, it will be ~85% of the average highest three years after
30 years of service. And, I am almost halfway there :) Of course, there is
always the possibility that something drastic happens, but even in today's
economic climate, things still look solid. Also, after 25 (IIRC) years, I will get
continual medical coverage as well.

The flipside, my salary is about 65% of the private industry's equitable
position. But, then again, I am not in danger of getting laid off ...

Oddly, I don't really have a problem with Congressional salaries. Compared
to CEOs, our Congressman get squat. And, if we use the term limits and
pension I outlined earlier, it isn't nearly as lucrative as people think. You
have to keep in mind most of our Congressman are already pretty darned
wealthy, or were high paid individuals prior to going to DC, or are going to
become pretty highly paid individuals when they leave, or any combo of the
three.

Ian

Dave, that's a great quote. I agree, regardless of who originated it, it's a keenly wise quote highlighting the interconnectedness of our economic, political, class and ethnic relationships. Where we seem to fall down in carrying out the principles set forth in that quote is in the establishment of the boundaries of reasonable acts, and interactions, given the interconnectedness. Public company CEO salaries is one notable area of recent failure in this regard (amongst many other failings).

Back