Books worthy of note:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Gentlemen,
Knowing how industrious everybody is on this forum, I beg the question do any of you relax by reading books - any books - and are they worthy of a mention or in fact the opposite - are they that bad that they also deserve a mention so as to avoid ? There is a copious amount of books related to motoring and F1 in particular and here in the UK the local libraries can invariably source a particular book, sometimes even if it's out of print.

If I kick off with two books I've just read. Please join in and if you think the ISBN numbers would help, say so:

Eric Clapton - The Autobiographie - Century.
Interesting to begin with then it becomes quite depressing and maybe even a case of slit your wrists. Of alcohol and drug addiction.

Mon Ami Mate - Of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn - Chris Nixon -
Factual list of their exploits in F1 - They died circa 50 years ago.
A really good read if you have the interest in the first place.

Dave M

Hi Dave,
I recently read "Gallipoli Sniper" by John Hamilton. To cut a good story short, it is about the remarkable life of William Edward Sing (Billy to his mates).
Along with the hardships these lads had to go through, which is remarkable. All in all I reckon it's a good read with a golden piece of aussie history.
Regards, Gus.

Last edited:
Vulcan 607 - the story of how a chain of refuelling tankers got a Vulcan all the way to the Falkland Islands to bomb the airfield is really fascinating.. The number is ISBN-10: 0593053915

Hi Gentlemen,
Knowing how industrious everybody is on this forum, I beg the question do any of you relax by reading books - any books - and are they worthy of a mention or in fact the opposite - are they that bad that they also deserve a mention so as to avoid ? There is a copious amount of books related to motoring and F1 in particular and here in the UK the local libraries can invariably source a particular book, sometimes even if it's out of print.

If I kick off with two books I've just read. Please join in and if you think the ISBN numbers would help, say so:

Eric Clapton - The Autobiographie - Century.
Interesting to begin with then it becomes quite depressing and maybe even a case of slit your wrists. Of alcohol and drug addiction.

Mon Ami Mate - Of Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn - Chris Nixon -
Factual list of their exploits in F1 - They died circa 50 years ago.
A really good read if you have the interest in the first place.

Dave M

Dave, the Eric Clapton autobiography was an excellent read, though I agree that the drugs and alcohol abuse was a terrible waste. It does have a happy ending though.

Garry

Get onto this one. A most entertaining read.

"Life of Spice - The Autobiography of Gordon Spice"
A Haines publication

Here is part of the blurb:

"Here is the life story of arguably one of the last generation of top racing drivers who smoked like troopers, drank like fish and never went near a gym. A wickedly witty, and often politically incorrect, story of a time when drivers were extrovert, accessible to the fans and could say what they thought."

A nice connection for you too David, running British Airways sponsorship and partnering BA pilot, Philip Martin-Dye for the 1981 BTCC !

Gordon drove a GT40 too, the ex-Paul Hawkins AMR-2 car in 1969. Great period pictures too.

Back