Call that a gun?

That's what I'm talkin' about.
I have always had a shotgun for home defense. One thing that I learned in the service was that waking up in the middle of the night and trying to orient yourself to a possible intruder, the shotgun is the most accurate weapon you can fire when you can't see very well. Besides, when you let a round go, the noise alone will stop an intruder in his tracks, even if you miss.
Garry

Howard Jones

Supporter
#2 goose 12 GA mags. Puts beer can size holes through an inch of plywood at 15 feet.

My choice....Rem mod 70 field-grade, 18" barrel, no plug.

Guys,
At 10 rounds of 12 guage per box and you can buy in bulk of 10 boxes at about $149.95 US for a case of ten 00 buck. Enough to load 5 twenty round mags. It would be enough for about 20 seconds of shooting on full auto. Make a great skeet or trap gun never miss. I don't know if the ducks or geese would like it.
Dave

Years ago I was issued with a shotgun and some rather special cartridges.

The task required potential use of "non-lethal" ammunition, basically a pair of gauge size rubber balls. It was made by Fiocchi (I think) and cost about 3 times as much as regular cartridges.

Very effective in confined spaces and at short range (20 metres or less). Aim for optical mass and you get the fright factor without the legal problems.

I don't know if it's still around, but it might be worth considering in a home defence setup.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Out in Rhodesia (Remember that country before Bob Mugabe took it over!)

Well the Rhodesian security forces developed a lot of "shot gun" type defence items

2 that I saw in demonstrations.

The spider - a device fitted to the top of pick up trucks MAinl;y Mazda 1600 2 wheel drive, used by farmers etc, who were being ambushed on regular basis. The spider was a set of about 20 pipes (about 8 inch barrels in effect) in a 360 degree configuration (covered all sides) and on activation released a seriouos shower of pellets - said to be lethal to anything up to about 40meters

And the other was a farmer home defence "pistol" Single 12 gauge shot that had a barrel and casing holder about 4.5 inches long which slid backwards into the firing pin The result was a spray of about 1.5 meters diameter 1 meter from the barrel - ideal when a few terrorists knocked on your door! But broke a few wrists with it's recoil!

But the shot gun blast certainly does what it needs to!

But that automatic in the video sure looks like a party stopper!

Ian

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Years ago I was issued with a shotgun and some rather special cartridges.

The task required potential use of "non-lethal" ammunition, basically a pair of gauge size rubber balls. It was made by Fiocchi (I think) and cost about 3 times as much as regular cartridges.

Very effective in confined spaces and at short range (20 metres or less). Aim for optical mass and you get the fright factor without the legal problems.

I don't know if it's still around, but it might be worth considering in a home defence setup.

Click that Firequest link, they have them. :thumbsup:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
This t shirt sums it up

Attachments

• SG285.jpg
    SG285.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 233
Brian, you don't need anything very exotic. #4 and a slug, repeat, etc.
Stops the intruder & gives you plenty of time to use the slug. Very effective.
Don't ask...

Brian Hamilton

Brian, you don't need anything very exotic. #4 and a slug, repeat, etc.
Stops the intruder & gives you plenty of time to use the slug. Very effective.
Don't ask...

Well Jack, at the moment I live in a POS trailer house.

Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere Texas on 50 acres in a mobile home. What you got to say about that?! :thumbsdown:

Anyway, I'm afraid that ANYTHING I decide to pop someone with (God forbid that ever happens) is going to go clear through the damn house. LOL I'm loaded with #8 Heavy Dove load at the moment. I figure in that small of a home and in that tight quarters, that kinda spread will get anything and everything. Backup is always the trusty .40 cal.

Brian Hamilton

That'll work Brian, the 40 Cal will go through your neighbors home too..

Nah, I got these really sweet rounds in it for the first 5 shots. They're called MagSafe and they're basically a hollowpoint jacket filled with epoxy and small pellets. Then they enter a target, the jacket expands and stays put, the epoxy and shot rip through the target and basically turn it into hamburger meat causing a huge trauma point as well as complete energy transfer and absorbsion. They will not punch through walls, they claim, but I have tested them on an old metal propane tank (empty of course, I'm not dumb) at about 15 yards and it punched a nice hole through it. I'm guessing the density of the target is the key factor. Anyway, those are the first 5 rounds, then it's staggered between 185 gr Hydrashok's and 185 gr Winchester Federal's. I figured if I need more than the first 5, I'm going to need to punch through something.

As far as the neighbor's home, 50 acres is nice. LOL I can go out back and skeet shoot or fire off my .308 or my .40 whenever I feel like it. I have a nice thrower setup in my back yard for skeet. Lots of fun. Anyone wanna come visit and shoot some stuff?!

Back