For Sale - 1 off Spitfire ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Even in the depths of this recession I'm sure this aeroplane will fetch record prices.
Imagine finding it in a scrapyard in Capetown ! Just staggering. There used to be another highly polished example in the museum in Johannesburg which also had a PR IX Mosquitoe (Photo reconaissance Mk 9 ) though I don't know if they are still there.There was also a few ww2 Luftwaffe machines in various states of crashes or about to be, along with an example of the ME262 (uncrashed).

I think Charles Church was a bit of a Spitfire hero. He restored and owned either five or six spitfires. Sadly he was killed ten years ago when the crankshaft on the spitfire he was flying, snapped and the plane crashed and was completly destroyed.
There are at least three 2 seat spits flying in the UK (top gear, UK vs Germany 2008)

Not to many of those for sale now days. I saw my first flying Spitfire and Hurricane last summer at a air show in town. They were from Hamilton Heritage Air Museum. They also have one of the last two flying Lanc's. You guys in the UK have the other one. Rarity of the planes makes it so no one want's to fly them anymore. I seen many in static displays.
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I was surprised, given the historical significance and emotion attached that these don't sell for more, especially when you consider what people pay for rare paintings etc. On the one hand I suppose an aircraft is a bit more difficult to hang on the wall, but on the other hand with an aircraft you can get inside her twice a day and take her to heaven and back (as Flashman made the analogous reference to his girlfriend):laugh:.
Dave, would an uncrashed ME262 be a pretty rare bird?

regards
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave, I doubt it would be worth a great deal. It really wasn't that significant apart from being a bit hi tech and performed quite well against the Gloster Meteor. It was nicknamed the "Swallow" after the small bird it's wing plan resembled , and the Allied pilots went on to call it the "Blow Job" (Blow job - swallow......?)
Wickipedia has a good write up: Messerschmitt Me 262 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Hi, guys. Re. the ME262, I recently received a newsletter from the Collingsworth Foundation (they have a collection of war birds that they fly around the country and sell rides - I got 30 minutes in a B17G - amazing). They have just been given a two-seat ME262. It is a replica that took 10 years (?) to build, an exact duplicate except for modern engines, complete with an official ME serial number. They claim it is one of only 2 flying jets, with the original still in company hands.

I haven't seen the ME 262 only in pictures. I've seen He 162 Volksjager and Me 163B Komet in static displays. Those early rocket planes and jets were fast but dangerous. I thought that the BMW engines had a life span of 25 hours on the 262. (bearings)
Dave

I saw this Spitfire many times in Miatland, Cape Town on my way to the local and main Honda m/cycle dealer where I bought a Honda 750 Rickman in the 70's.
The Spitfire was mounted high on top of a pole in a metal scrapyard and was bought as scrap metal from the SA Air force. It was the swapped in the late 1970's for an Alouette helicopter that was displayed on the same pole.

Back