Problems with Ebay?

Ebay has started asking me for my credit card details to "place my credit card on file" I am up to date with my account, and when I spoke to their help line, they told me there was a "glitch" with their system. A couple of days later, I called again as it still had not been resolved to be told that I "had to place my card with ebay so they could take payments" when I asked who was lying, him or the previous assistant, he put me on hold then said there was a "glitch" and I shouldn't have to put my card on file. I believe this about as much as I believe Gordon Brown's a good Prime Minister!
I think Ebay have sneakily introduced this and are getting everybodies card details.
I sold something on ebay recently for £311. It cost me a £1 to list it plus £31 seller fees, and if I use paypal, they will charge me another chunk of money (paypay and ebay are one and the same)
Anybody else been caught out?
Simon

ps, paypal already has my card details, but ebay says even if I don't authorise them to use my card for automatic payment, they can take the money anyway!

I've not had this with Ebay, but to be fair I use PayPal whenever possible as there is a level of protection included and the fewer people / organisations that I have to give my credit card details to the better.

I've used the PayPal facility for 5 years or more now and never had a problem.

I am guessing that as I have the PayPal linked to a credit card that this is why Ebay don't ask for my details then. You can also set up PayPal to flag your phone I think as aadvance warning of payment requests.

Mike Pass

Supporter
We had £300 stolen through Paypal but eventually got it back. The process was hardfwork as they will not speak to you and will not answer emails or requests for information. The money finally reappeared in the acccount but with no explanation or documentation which does not inspire confidence.
Cheers
Mike

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No I spoke to them on the ebay number

You "SPOKE" with someone at eBay???

Even when I had thousands of dollars hanging in the balance on a transaction gone bad - there was NO WAY to "talk" with someone at eBay. Everything was done via email with them. Even after my repeatedly asking for a phone number to call to straighten out the whole issue - could have been done in a 20 minute "max" phone call - but instead they managed to drag it out WEEKS! :furious:

Ultimately I prevailed but only because I had a very understanding credit card company (much to the chagrin of eBay and Pay-Pal)..

I have used ebay and paypal for years. Bought and sold parts for my build through them. They have changed the way they do things there just recently. They want your credit card for their monthly fees(if there is activity on your account.) The sellers fees for listing are taken out that way. If you cash out through paypal, they will hit you with a fee. The money in paypal is best left there and used there(read cheaper). They, like all the banks are trying to institute new and more creative fees. You just have to learn how to use the system to keep them at a minimum.
If you have a major purchase, I would suggest not usng paypal. Even if you buy it through ebay. Your protections are minimal at best. I have never found a phone number for either. They will only comunicate through emails if even then. I have never used their dispute resolution service. I have left some bad feed backs on some parts I purchased though. If you make a major purchase I would suggest using an ESCROW service. I bought my car that way.
Her is how it works. Both parties put their banking info into the service. The buyer puts the agreed amount into the service. The service notifies the seller to ship the goods. Upon arrival, the buyer has an agreed upon number of days to inspect the goods. If the item(s) are as agreed, the buyer notifies the escrow service to release the funds to the seller and all is well. If there is a problem, as I had when I got my car, the buyer and seller try to reach an agreement on the final price. If they cannot, then it goes to resolution/arbitration. The final agreement may include anythig from a refund to sending the item(s) back to the seller. Most possibilities are agreed upon before the process begins. Who pays for what services. Who pays for the reshiping of the item(s) if the items are not as advertised. Etc., Etc. Once the funds ar placed in Escrow, they cannot be removed by the buyer or the seller. The amounts have to be agreed upon by both before any funds are released. It really protects both parties.
My dispute involed the advertisment of the car. It is rather involved, but the major thing was, that the engine, a 351 Windsor, had been freshly rebuilt but never cranked. Upon inspection/tear down, it was found to have been left out in the rain and water was throughout the engine. The seller had to refund the amount of a new rebuild.
This was one of the companys longest transactons. It took about 6 months for the car to get here(U S) from Australia. There were some customs issues as well that he was to take care of but didn't. With some quick scrambling the matter was resolved and I was able to bring the car into the country. Those fees were refunded as well.
I would say that if the amount of money is more than you are willing to give away/lose in a deal, use an Escrow service. Read more about it here:
https://www.escrow.com/solutions/escrow/process.asp

I used Escrow.com and was very satisfied with their service, and would recommend them to any making a large purchase.

Bill

Back