Name the aeroplane ?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
2306.jpg

Secondly , why does it have differing letters on either side of the fuselage and lastly, do you know the real serial number??

Last edited:
David, where are the rest of the pics? I cant see the fuselage. Looks like an old plane though mid 40s era.... were the numbers possibly different to confuse the enemy during the war?

Am I close????

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
No and No. If I published a picture of the fuselage you would know what it was !!
A clue: The co pilots panel is missing - in this photo.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Canberra B57 - no.
Dakota C47 - no.
It never saw any active service and for a while had a laminar flow wing fitted. (remember the Buccaneer subsequently used Boundary Layer Laminer Flow wings).
Parts for restoration of it were discovered in Argentina and were brought back courtesy of the Royal Navy. It also saw photographic work in South Africa and starred in two films - if the star can be the aeroplane.

Keith

Canberra B57 - no.
Dakota C47 - no.
It never saw any active service and for a while had a laminar flow wing fitted. (remember the Buccaneer subsequently used Boundary Layer Laminer Flow wings).
Parts for restoration of it were discovered in Argentina and were brought back courtesy of the Royal Navy. It also saw photographic work in South Africa and starred in two films - if the star can be the aeroplane.

Darn it Dave.. that was going to be my second guess - honest...:rolleyes:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The Flying Fortress - an amazing aeroplane and just so beautiful and evocative to watch fly. Immortalized by the movie "Memphis Belle"
Memphis Belle Crew.
Amazingly to two of that crew survived as late as 2004 and one got as far as 2005 - only four years ago. Truly they were legends to survive 25 missions. There really was a Memphis Belle as well......Margaret Polk - died in 1990.
But no - it's not a B-17.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Absolutely Chuck. Spot on. There never was a co-pilot panel on the Lancaster as the aeroplane was designed to, and only carried one pilot.

Now the fun bit. The different letters on either side of the fuselage and the actual serial number??

PA474 Battle of Britain memorial flight?

Quote:
She sports the letters HR-W of ‘The Ton’ on her port side and BQ-B of 550 on her starboard, effectively commemorating the crews of both Squadrons.

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
the spitfire from the battle of britian memorial flight was the very same one my grandad maintained during the war .... he even had all his repair logbooks of what was done and when.

he died earlier this year, but for me a bit of him will always live on in that plane :)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Dave,

One for you, or others, feel free to join in.

Easy question: What is this plane ?

Question 2: Speculate on the circumstances that caused its demise
and the damage ?

Tim Dutton, you are expressly barred from entering your comments :lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• Crew.jpg
    Crew.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 338
  • Wellington2.jpg
    Wellington2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 392
Back