GTA replica at the Ring

Paolo, I think Marchionne has that in mind. Today I saw where Chrysler will probably have a shortened version of their 300 platform to build one of their two medium sized cars (Sebring or Avenger and I'll bet its the Dodge that gets the RWD). Both cars are currently built on a Mitsubishi / Chrysler platform. In the future, one of the vehicles will be FWD and the other will be RWD.

I have alot of hope, and let's not forget Mr. Tata sits on Fiat's board and he owns Jaguar / Land Rover. Jaguar is traditionally been a RWD family of vehicles.

Sorry if this isn't GT40 talk !!!

Believe me my friend, with the work I am doing for alfa romeo, I know the reality inside the company that are simply scary (consider the marketing CEO is a lady coming from fashion system...she is nicknamed as the "hairdresser" there by enegeneers...terrible in a so male work ambient..in such matters we italians are incredible).
Nobody dares to talk to Marchionne, as in military organizations, he is a great manager, but coming from FINANCIAL sectors, not technical, and not at all an engeneer.
And alfa romeo deeply needs to return at its origin (if they can do this), returning to beat the BMW as they did till the 80s,first of all returning to that fucking rwd they had during the glory time.
people buys alfa IF they are THE alfas, not if they are fiat with a differnet make up.
The situation inside alfa romeo seems just a BIG joke, and they are doing (typically italian also this..)2 kind of company:
one is dedicated to very rich and usually foreigner customers able to spend pile of money in wonderful dreamcars as 8c Competizione, that is actually a Tuning Maserati, and for all the others...they can offer only cars that italians dont like (and indeed we are the greatest client for german cars..much more than germans,they make special version only for italian market.)
Also me, after MY experience with some fiats...ONLY will have and buy german cars, at least until I can buy something SERIOUS italian, or something british;),where I can accept also to see the front lights flying away as I saw using a Lotus elise form a friend:D.....u know what I mean.

Paolo,

When I lived in Rome in 1971, I bought a 1964 Lancia Flavia 1,8 Berlina with a boxer motor and front wheel drive. The car was solid, well built and very reliable (except for the transmission that broke after 80,000 miles). I always loved the Fulvia 1,6 HF.

When Fiat bought Lancia, they destroyed the quality, engineering and uniqueness of the cars.

Fiat did the same with Alfa Romeo.

I am a believer in Marchionne. I know he is a finance guy, but he seems to have his head on straight about cars, what models the range needs and putting a vehicle in place to do the job.

I saw yesterday in Automotive News that either Chrysler or Dodge Mid sized car (the new U.S. Alfa Romeo) will be built on a shortened 300 platform (probably the same platform used for the Dodge Challenger retro muscle car).

From a strategic position, FIat seem to be going in the right way.

I expect (I don't know) that Alfa can do a platform with a small Jaguar and Dodge, giving the economies of scale to produce a great RWD car in multiple locations around the world, and be competitive with anything the Germans can do.

So much for my thoughts.

Ciao for now

Hope so Dom, we all miss a real Alfa for sale.
Also the 3.2 Holden engine they used had the wrong trasmission (all fwd..damn),and were too expensive and a commercial flop, just excluding the 147 4x4 GTAm expensive as a cayman.

Really hope they can do something at the level of todays bmw's, but i think it could be hard (we use to say down here..HAnno perso il treno..they miss the train..u know what I mean)

Back