name the aeroplane part 2

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
2980404806_bee3282ff1.jpg

All these pilots are the same - Big Watch, Big Sunglasses, Big thingamejig and a cheesey grin. And thats just the girl.
Actually he is probably her sexual advisor. Whe she wants his f-----g advice she will f-----g well ask for for it.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Very close Terry. Could a bus ever be that simple. With forearms like Popeye, he could probably wind up the rubber band with one arm.
I bet he drinks Carling Black Label.
I suppose the three thrust levers give the game away.......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
2979574033_e102b234f7.jpg

I bet he has to factor in his wristwatch on the loadsheet.
Yes - it's the Zeppelin operating out of Moffett Field?

2980430524_645676a8b0.jpg

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
1500088633_bb593a374e.jpg

If you eat in the airport restaurant in Geneva - you will be sitting in amongst one of these aeroplanes which has been cut up and seperated to be the feature in the restaurant. Widely used by European air forces and this is a German one. You can probably tell that by the caps sitting up on the coaming.
I flew in these with a Dutch crew from 252sqn Falkenberg and the SKipper was trained in the RAF as well (Willy Urbanus) and he like nothing more than heaving this quite big aeroplane up through the low level link routes in Wales and Scotland. The sheep on the hills were higher than us.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
One was very publicly lost at the SBAC Show in 1968.

"Aviation is a useless and expensive fad advocated by a few individuals whose ideas are unworthy of attention."
Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Sir W. G. Nicholson

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well done Jack.
Yes - it went in over by the Black Sheds and took one of the sheds down as it crashed with 16 on board. Incidentally, the Black Sheds was the site where the Royal Air Force was officially founded. Famous pub - almost next door to the Black Sheds - and especially during the SBAC show is The Swan. Many times I had to come back the next day for my car in The Swans car park.

Amendment: See below - Six total not sixteen. Five crew on board.

Last edited:
Blimey was that really 1968? - I thought I remembered that crash but as I'd only have been 5 in 68 I guess not.

I saw the S-67 Blackhawk crash in 1974 after failing to exit a low loop and the Dash 7 go down in 1984 too.

My mum and dad were also present in 52 when John Derry's DH110 went down killing 2 crew and 29 spectators - an event that changed the guidelines for future air displays.

The Dash 7 crash:

YouTube - Farnborough Air Crash

Sorry for thread drift David...

damn..this time also I recognize it was a Breguet Atlantic (cause also we have here)

but now.....try this Dave (I am sure u know all..:)) !!

Attachments

• dave.jpg
    dave.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul - was it the Transporter DHC-5 (Buffalo derivative) flown by Bill 'Supersperm' Loverseed rather than the Dash 7. I was there as well and went up on top of the Embraer chalet to watch Bill. I recall one of the props reached quite a height and flew quite a long way. I still reccomended the Dash 8 for the company whicj is now Flybe - formerly Jersey Europena Airways. Ironically, that accident ended up with generating more work for me as the DHC pilots moved up the food chain after DHC sacked Bill and I had the nicest Twin Otter in Europe so I got the job of demonstrating in Europe for DHC. A brilliant sojourn in my life.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo - Untrue. I thought I would let other people have a go - if I just keep jumping in with the answer, our brethren would get bored to hell and switch off.
It seems so old already with the latercockpits such as the new Typoon and Raptor but it's still a fantastic office anyway. I wish I was just starting out again.

ehehe..i got it I got it...dave dunno..yep..LOL
No Ian, it is not in scale ;)

Kmon...maybe the color inside will help u a little...
Consider I am italiano, that strange azure inside is typical from ALL russian planes..
just search the one....aermacchi is planning to build with russians.
Should be the new frecce tricolori one (but this was 1 yrs ago before crisis...now i suspect they will return on f-84f.. :D)

aermacchi M-346 ;)

and after this I am collecting some pics of all the italians of the 20s to drive u mad David :D ! but I am studying something really hard cause at the time we use to build british planes under license...so have to check crefully

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo - nice -
I confess I had not looked at it all that much. Initially I thought it to be a mock up
but it's a lovely office - too nice for Russian but the colour could not be anything else. Anyway - I will pay more attention next time.

Blimey was that really 1968? - I thought I remembered that crash but as I'd only have been 5 in 68 I guess not.

My mum and dad were also present in 52 when John Derry's DH110 went down killing 2 crew and 29 spectators - an event that changed the guidelines for future air displays.

Sorry for thread drift David...

I was there at Farnborough on that day with my father when I was about 13 and remember the engines going into the crowd some 200 - 300 yards away. It never ocurred to me at the time that anyone had been be hurt. My mother had seen in the evening newspaper that some spectators had been killed and was very relieved when we both came home. As a pilot of small aircraft for many years, I find it very distressing when something we all love to do for fun - even those paid to do it - claims another victim. The same sentiment applies to motor sporting activities.

Chris

Back