Colonoscopies

Given most of you guys are 2-3x my age (I'm 26) I figured I'd write this because maybe it would help one of you guys - today I got the thrill of recovering from a cold, while getting a colonoscopy. No blood in the poop, but I'd been feeling a bit unwell in the lower left part of my abdomen for a while. Long story short, they found several pre-cancerous polyps and identified an infection that is probably making me sick.

I was absolutely terrified to go for it (for obvious reasons), but glad I did. If you ever get told to get one, it really is a breeze - the WORST thing you can do is researching it on the internet. After research, i was terrified of the prep (having poop falling out of me every 5seconds on the floor until I get to the bathroom) and the procedure (kept having nightmares of a gigantic snake chasing me through a hospital :laugh: )

Prep (day before) - wake up at 11am, add water to colyte (colon prep solution) and refrigerate it. Eat popsicles, water, ginger ale and Ensure until 5pm. Then at 6 you drink 8oz of colyte every 10minutes. Then after an hour get ready to make a lot of liquid poop for the next 4-5hours.

Internet research shows me now that people are pansies. 1/2 the people complain about colyte saying it tastes like piss, they refused to drink it and skipped their procedure, they only drank half, etc... etc... It tastes like salt water, but just gulp it down in 2-3gulps. Don't be a pansy and sit there spending 5minutes smelling it and mixing tea or coffee or whatever with it. Just drink it.

The pooping part is also over-rated - poop will not come flying out of you for no reason. You'll feel like you have to go, and then you go and poop out a bunch of liquid. Honestly, when I got food poisoning I was sometimes worried I wouldn't be able to make it to the bathroom ontime. Here, no problems - yes, you'll feel like you have to go poop, but it's not 'OMG; it's comign out this very second!!!! RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!!'

Procedure - You get an IV, you're wheeled in, the doctor puts something on his thumb and pokes you in the bum and you're like :blank: . Then they sedate you, you wake up, and you never get to see what happens.

Surprisingly they have a fair number of people who make it to the procedure but as soon as they get poked in the bum with the doctor's fingers, before the sedation, they actually get up and refuse to go any further and leave :laugh:

Seriously, as long as you're not a dumbass who tries to go to work and do the colon prep there, the last 2 days were nothing more than a minor inconvenience at worst - I spent the last few weeks psyching myself out over it for nothing.

My dad's 70 and should have it done, but he's refused the last 5yrs because he's terrified of getting the snake shoved into his bum, as most people probably are, but hopefully after reading this you see it rates a -1000/10 on the "traumatic life experiences' sheet and there's nothing to it at all - hell, I was apparently going to have colon cancer before I was 30, now I'm not :thumbsup:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Alex, all good advice. I've had several and although not something I could come too enjoy certainly no drama. Your comments on researching the net are also well founded.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As I was wheeled in, I saw a cabinet full of the "equipment"....I asked the nurse, "Do those come in sizes?", I mean does the Dr. look at you and say "Yes, Mr. Finster here looks like a number 7".................And it was the ONE time I was glad I had been told I was a "huge asshole"!!!!!!!!

When I had one a few years ago I said to the doctor, "If you find my dignity somewhere up there, could you please return it?"

Not really that big of a deal.

It's amazing how many men are girly-men when it comes to seeing a doctor and looking after their health.

Been there done that. As somebody that has Chron's disease, colonoscopies are something I should have more often than not.

Spare a thought for me.

The first one I had I didn't get any sedation what so ever. Wide awake during the whole procedure! Apart from the obvious discomfort it felt like my stomach was about to explode with what felt like a significant amount of pressure building up with the camera poking about.

Thankfully the next time round I was grateful to have been knocked out, and like Alex said apart from the constant dunny runs wasn't too much of a hassle.

Good to see you don't have any serious health concerns there Alex.

Regards.

Steve.

Last edited:

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I went through this earlier this year and can confirm that it is indeed a breeze.

I have a tip for you all - make sure it is done as early as possible in the day!

The prep stuff you drink isn't that great and the constant trips to the bathroom are mildly enjoyable (for me anyway! - gives me a sense of accomplishment) but the worst thing was the wait after I got up in the morning until the procedure at 3PM.....I WAS HUNGRY!!!!!!

When I do this again I am going to ask for a 730AM appointment.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
You guys wanna try having it from the other end.
No sedation and you end up in a permament gagging situation and
fight to get a breath down.
I rate it as even worse than when i regularly had cameras stuffed up my nose to look at vocal chords.
Glad to hear you got the all clear.

Last edited:
I too went through this about a year ago. Prep is the worst of it though when I did the preop with the doctor he warned me that he likes to listen to blue grass music while he works and it makes some people uncomfortable. I told him as long as I didn't hear "dueling banjos" I would be OK :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I too went through this about a year ago. Prep is the worst of it though when I did the preop with the doctor he warned me that he likes to listen to blue grass music while he works and it makes some people uncomfortable. I told him as long as I didn't hear "dueling banjos" I would be OK :)

X-2...

Also - the b@stard never even sent me flowers!!!!

Alex - Glad to hear that you had it done. I need to go back every 2 years for a while until there are no more "bad" things popping up.. All of my polyps were benign (thank God) and hope that any new ones are the same way...

Moderator error...
(whups - I accidently edited TimB's message rather than quoting - I fixed it back though...)

I don't if this is still the case but at one time Blue Cross was making robocalls to some of its customers (50+ YO men, I assume) inquiring when they were going to schedule a colonoscopy, why there were not going to schedule one if they weren't planning to, and what specifically was stopping them: fear, ignorance, embarrasment. etc. With such high colon cancer cure rates with early detection, Blue Cross actuaries have apparently discovered huge revenue benefits in covering the procedure rather than treatment of the disease.

It worked for me and I'm glad I did it. Being given the 10-year recheck interval almost seems like a reward.

Keith

Had a Bronchoscopy (other end) even with sedation there is no way to stop yourself trying to repel in the invader so-to-speak. Ironically in my case it was for a lung inspection and very nearly finished off the work of many years of my full on research into the more destructive elements of a rock and roll lifestyle by almost choking me to death there and then.

Curiously, I believe we call the other other end invasion "Endoscopy" here in the UK - not sure if that is meant to sound, er, less invasive or what. Not had one, don't want one.

My hat off to those who endure such indignities - it's all a bit Victorian if you ask me, like when they used to use a thin tool to crush kidney or gall stones. Ugh! don't go there..so, was that the Front End or Back End? :lipsrsealed:

I've had several. It's no joke, especially when that snake has got to go around a few tight corners. In the old days the snakes were considerably bigger and less flexible so things have improved a lot over the last 20 years.

Thankfully, they give you some good drugs before insertion. Frankly, the last time they could have put a red hot fire poker up there and I wouldn't have cared I was feeling so good. Kind of interesting to see your insides displayed on a 30 inch flat panel on the wall. Helps to not have some kind of gastrointestinal issue when going for a snake view as inevitably the issue causes some pain when the snake comes in contact.

My old doc knows I'm a car guy and used to joke about how he drives a brown Ford probe....

Back