Supercharged Triumph Herald Estate

Cheers Adam. The 4AGE and 4AGZE are great motors. The problem I've found with modified Triumphs is that you end up doing far too much of this...

Attachments

• CCI08112009_00015.jpg
    CCI08112009_00015.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 579
One area that needs to be seriously re-thought is the rear end. The results of an un-modified rear axle in competition can be frightening...

A slightly narrowed Triumph saloon rear K Frame works really well. Just change the diff centre for an appropriate LSD unit. I went for the 3.7:1 Nissan R180 diff. My next move on this car is to change out the drums for a rotor set up. The R31 Skyline discs are used for this, with an adapter for the calliper (see last 2 pics).

Here are a few shots of the car, by the way.

Attachments

• CCI08112009_00000.jpg
    CCI08112009_00000.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 766
  • P1070788.jpg
    P1070788.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 620
  • 1360 super charged 1.jpg
    1360 super charged 1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 682
  • 1360 super charged 2.jpg
    1360 super charged 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 747
  • 1360 super charged 3.jpg
    1360 super charged 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 594
  • CCI08112009_00001.jpg
    CCI08112009_00001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 599
  • TR Disc 4.JPG
    TR Disc 4.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 652
  • TR Disc 1.JPG
    TR Disc 1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 750
The TR motor eventually made way (after a couple of other engine test fits) for a Nissan RB25DE with the same Eaton twin screw supercharger. Coupled to a VL Turbo 5 speed, this combo proved too heavy and unbalanced the car. Even with that amount of HP at the wheels, it just didn't get the power down properly.

I fab'd the plenum to fit under the bonnet, and to make the intercooler plumbing much easier - aka GTR Skyline!

The RB25 / supercharger / trans were sold off, and the car now awaits the completion of the GT40 for it's turn in the spot light. The second last pic was of the car last year, and the last one is how she sits right now. :cry: (will be under cover soon)

The boss wants it back to TR 2.5 spec (maybe it's the induction sound of that mechanical injection she likes - I won't put efi on this again!). But I kind of like power delivery of the LS3 6.2ltr engine...

Attachments

• CCI08112009_00008.jpg
    CCI08112009_00008.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 1360 nissan 6cyl.jpg
    1360 nissan 6cyl.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • CCI08112009_00010.jpg
    CCI08112009_00010.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 581
  • CCI08112009_00011.jpg
    CCI08112009_00011.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 584
  • both estates.jpg
    both estates.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 568
  • Carport 2.jpg
    Carport 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG00032-20090716-1047.jpg
    IMG00032-20090716-1047.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 553
Yes the under side of a Triumph bonnet is a very familiar sight. Had the output shaft pop out of the diff on Saturday in the car park for heavens sake. The sooner I get the rear sorted with some CV's rather than UJ's the better.

Using the saloon rear arms with a strut (what strut did you use by the way?), the arm takes the load okay? Looked at doing the same with my RB25 powered 2.5 saloon, by thought the casting would break with the extra load.

Quiet keen to use the same set up. Do you have any under body shots you could post? If I start cutting I want to make sure I've got it right, and that I have all the requried parts.

The rear brake holders look familiar too, I have the CAD and Solidworks files for these from a guy in Canada who did the same on his TR6. Got some samples water cut and they fit perfectly. Let me know if you need the files.

LS1 in a Herald mad I tell you, mad - By hey why not :thumbsup:

Just shows you - the best Triumphs are Estate Triumphs!

Here's my old Silverback, now no more, alas.

And just to prove that you CAN sort the Triumph rear suspension, here we are at Castle Combe, Quarry Corner, a very fast 270 degree. First I am shaping to pass my opponent on the inside, then on the exit at the next lap and finally a rear shot as we straighten out. Almost no lean, no inner wheel jacking, well sorted, though I say so myself.

That was with a Courier spring (van version, very stiff), spring raised 25mm, Quaife LSD.

John

Oh, the jet exhausts at the back? Rear radiator - secret weapon! J.

Attachments

• img_2665.jpg
    img_2665.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 438
  • img_2639.jpg
    img_2639.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 460
  • img_2597.jpg
    img_2597.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 799
A performance Triumph Herald??? Sounds like an oxymoron. Possible, I suppose, if you replace all the Triumph Herald parts with something else. I owned a coupe, and it was a load of junk. Everything failed repeatedly, the IRS decided to be totally independent of the car and one axle fell right off, the bonnet opened majestically as you pulled up at the traffic lights and the bonnet latches failed, the local Road Service people got to know me, and rewired parts of the car on the run; I had to switch the parking lights on to get ignition, for instance. The wheel bearings failed, the front stub axles were a classic example of inadequate engineering and bent in normal use (this was even advised to us as a bad example in my University Engineering metallurgy course). Oh, yes, a lovely looking, sporty feeling little car, but without doubt the worst engineered car I've ever owned.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
the front stub axles were a classic example of inadequate engineering and bent in normal use (this was even advised to us as a bad example in my University Engineering metallurgy course).

Hmm... interesting. These were used in many single seaters in the mid to late sixties, although if you had to replace them it was always hard to find any from the wreckers that would pass a crack test inspection!

John, your estate had a composite roof and tailgate if I remember correctly. Do you have the molds still, and the bigger question is, what happened to the car?

Do you also know where to source FRP Vitesse bonnets? I don't think Honeybourne do them...

A bit of fun this afternoon.

I thought I'd bring the Triumph into work and blow out the cobwebs after 11 years in hibernation (and a bit of a re-build...)

Here is a vid, check out the dash! Not quite finished yet, but close :)

YouTube - Movie1.wmv

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
:laugh::laugh::laugh: "Fully sick bro!" --specially how you make sure the door is shut properly :laugh::laugh:
Is that a GT 40 dash in there?? :thumbsup:
And a six pac with plenty of upper cylinder lubricant :worried:

Good one

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool! :thumbsup:

Loved the interior and was almost expecting to see a bundle of snakes coming out the back!

Will you be doing Gulf Livery on it eventually?

No Gulf livery, but that is the correct blue. The triumph rally cars of the mid sixties ran powder blue. I'm sure many of the Gulf guys have discovered that "Powder Blue" was used by a few different manufacturers, and the Windosr White (side stripe) by many more.

Upper cylinder lubricant! Yep, a bit of that. I didn't bother re-building the supercharged engine that was in it. At $300 for another 2.5PI engine, it was just quicker to slip in a (supposedly) fresh one. Happily, I have a new set of rings and gaskets to fit before too long :)

And yes, a GT40 dash. It has the full Speed Hut gauge set, including a 300kph speedo! Fair to say, I'm probably not likely to trouble the top half of that dial too much!

Back